| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John David Call ,steel seat.
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2016 2:48 pm    

Hi Folks,
Just been looking at some great Pure Praire League footage on YouTube.I can't help but notice that John Call's seat is his steel case.What a great idea ! My question is does anyone know what the case is supported on ? It looks like 2 pieces of something with holes in to reduce weight ,the supports are 2 pieces at right angles to themselves.I use a drum seat and this idea looks neat especially if the supports are integral and folding to the case.Does anyone know if the case has been modified at all.Thanks for looking.
Regards Dave
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 3:59 am    

As a furthur thought to this.This idea could become a standard for steel playing.With modern technology / materials someone should run with the idea.A lightweight steel case / seat all in one.Would certainly reduce the amount of Accesories you have to drag along to gigs and could possibly make the packaseat a thing of the past for SOME steelies .I personally only need a small bag for leads ,tuner and pedal.The other advantage of a case as a seat would be you could have room at one end for effect pedals to deploy.Food for thought and of course comments .
Regards Dave
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 4:22 am    

More people are choosing the split cases. That means the guitar portion is too short to sit upon.
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 4:33 am    

Hi Lane,
You may be correct, but I reckon even a single body case would be wide enough ,SD definately .
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 6:03 am    

Typical steel seat: 21"
My Hatton split cases, Zum D10: 14"
YOU can sit that low. I'll pass.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 6:43 am    

John has fashioned a couple pieces of aluminum to be used as his support for his seat and they simply can be easily stowed. Great guy!
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 7:17 am    

I'd like to see the seat/case you're speaking of.

That said:

- most guys use a seat that is padded because a 3-4 hr gig can literally be a PITA.

- Many have seat backs for lumbar support to mitigate low back pain issues.

- Steel seats provide a space for gear storage (cords, VP, FX pedals etc).

- A steel case has a bigger footprint than does a steel seat which can be a significant issue on cramped stages.

I'd probably not give that all up just to reduce my gear hauling burden by one piece.
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 7:53 am    

As I thought there are a mixture of replies here ,all good stuff and valid ,however this is still a great idea ,obviously Mr Call is adopting it.
In reply to Jim ,are the Aluminium pieces welded together do you know ? Or hinged etc.
Something like a GFI seat arrangement on the case base would work.Im going to improvise this idea myself.I also find the steel case an impediment sometimes as to where to store at small venues ,so why not use it.
Regards Dave Smile
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 7:55 am    

As I thought there are a mixture of replies here ,all good stuff and valid ,however this is still a great idea ,obviously Mr Call is adopting it.
In reply to Jim ,are the Aluminium pieces welded together do you know ? Or hinged etc.
Something like a GFI seat arrangement on the case base would work.Im going to improvise this idea myself.I also find the steel case an impediment sometimes as to where to store at small venues ,so why not use it.
Regards Dave Smile
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 9:03 am    

The aluminum pieces kind of just fit together- he built them at work as I recall.
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 11:08 am    

Thanks for the info Jim.I think I realise how they fit together.Wood could be used as well.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 12:18 pm    

steel cases and amps have been used for seats since time began. most professionals understand the benefits of a steel seat. if you're comfy otherwise, fine! i would imagine the op hasn't been doing 100s of gigs a year on real stages.
Philip Mitrakos

The Beach South East Florida
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 1:55 pm    

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 2:01 pm     seats

steelseats standard are 20" (I use a firm foam) some other ones with a soft cushion are 21"

Cinder blocks and a steel case does not seam to be too portable unless you always play at a construction site and they are provided.

And then people tell me my seat is too heavy once they fill it with pedals, effects, enough strings to go round the world, and tools. Very Happy

As an engineer in Italy use to say to me - That is a solution. He would pause and say not necessary a good solution BUT A SOLUTION.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com Whoa!
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 7:23 pm    

These light weight fold-up aluminum pieces are surely about doing fly-gigs. If you've ever tried to drag your entire club rig onto a plane this solution will suddenly make sense...

John Call is an old pro. He knows what's up -- and he probably sits on a nice pak-a-seat (with a back) for local gigs where there isn't any airline charging extra per piece. On tour, it's guerilla mode.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 7:58 pm    

could be. makes sense. and i've seen others use their cases when flying distances.