| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel + Bad Back = New amp?
Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 3:58 am    

Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with my gear/sound/bad back.

Basically my Excel U-12 and a Tweed deluxe are both similar weights and i use them most days of the week.
Over the last year i've been getting some back problems. i shook them off last year by doing a lot of exercise but, when i play a lot of steel they always come back. Some of these problems are posture related but there are some to do with moving my gear around.

My idea at the moment is to try and get a lighter amp but, anything Fender that is smaller that the 40watt deluxe tends to distort on a show.
A friend of mine had an idea of maybe finding a way to drop the output of the pickup with resistors maybe? (im no electrician ) so it wouldnt be that hot for smaller amps. What do you guys think? at the moment im noticing the steel will distort my 40watt tweed when i have my strymon pedals inline...

I'm set on my sound which is the fender deluxe type of sound. Has anyone got any suggestions ? Any similar problems?

Thanks,
Chris
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 4:26 am    

Chris, a few things for you to try, how about a Neo speaker in your amp, should knock that down several pounds. As far as your guitar, look into a pelican rifle case, made of very sturdy plastic, and lighter. Look into these ideas, see if that is what your looking for. As far as the back, I'm a old truck driver who lived with back pain for years. I take Midol...yes Midol when my back bothers me. This has been a miracle drug for me and I can't figure out why.
Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 4:28 am    

Try the new Roland 80GX cube amp...They are pretty good for steel ....14.2 kg...31 lbs. 5 oz.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 4:35 am    

If you want to keep the tube sound and have some cash to splash out, the Milkman Half and Half. Amazing tone, tube preamp/class D power, and only two stone. Or was it two stone and 4?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 4:59 am    

The Carvin BX500 (and BX700) amps have a 12AX7 tube in the preamp section. About 7lbs. I couple that with an Eminence EPS-15C neo speaker (7 lbs) that is 23 lbs in a cabinet.

Our lead guitar player, who is a must have Fender amps type and uses a mid 60's Pro Reverb, likes my sound. He says best I've sounded and we have been working together for almost 20 years.
Scott Parker

Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 5:01 am    

Maybe try a neodymium speaker? Or instead of a combo amp try a head and cabinet to split up the weight and put a neodymium speaker in the cab to lighten it even more.

I just turned 40 and had a double discectomy and double semi-laminectomy about 7 years ago and I'm just starting out on pedal steel coming from 6-string guitar and banjo. Crazy thing is I own a Fender Twin the tI'll be using for the pedal steel! I'm guessing it will be a couple years before I'm good enough to play out with it, so I'm not worried about the weight at the moment, but it will be an issue at some point!
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 5:17 am    

Use a cart or two wheeler... that keeps some of the constant weight down. Although I feel (literally) your pain!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 5:45 am    

I use the Milkman pedal steel mini - only 30 lbs. It's 40W. I don't notice any significant distortion, even when turned up fairly loud.

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 6:30 am    

All good suggestions. Also, consider wearing some sort of back support before, during and after the gig. It sounds like you might also be pushing the amp too hard, so it's distorting. Higher wattage, more headroom, more efficient speaker should help.
Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 6:57 am    

Check out Evans RE 300
31 lbs. 200 watts 10" speaker $1398
I went lighter 2 years ago with the JE 500
that is a 12" speaker 200 watts 37 lbs
Have used Evans last 15 or more yrs no problems super sound
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 7:08 am    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
Use a cart or two wheeler... that keeps some of the constant weight down. Although I feel (literally) your pain!

^this, or is it possible to add caster wheels directly to your case and amp? Though these suggestions won't help move from the car to the ground or over rough terrain and up/down stairs Sad

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA
Bob Sehy

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 7:24 am    

Quilter Steelaire - ridiculously light and sounds amazing,
Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 7:58 am    

Bob Sehy wrote:
Quilter Steelaire - ridiculously light and sounds amazing,

Quilter Steelaire:

Portable: 35 Pounds for either combo and 7.2 pounds for the rack-mount head
Powerful: 15" neodynium speaker. 200 clean watts
Consistent: Tone sounds great at any volume
Very Happy Whoa! Very Happy

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 25 Mar 2016 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 8:26 am    

An additional thing to try would be a set of lightweight legs for the steel. Also a fiber case for the steel. Some like split cases as well, and separate amp head and speaker. Lighter weight per piece but additional items to carry.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 12:51 pm    

I switched to Williams Keyless, Hatton wheeled light case, and Milkman Half and Half for the same reason...now, with Pak-seat full of pedals 'n stuff, total still under 100 lbs, and in manageable-sized pieces. And no sacrifice in tone at all...
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2016 2:48 pm    

MSA Millennium , GK MB200 amp, Sica 12inch Neo speaker, weighs around 21lbs (using a 15 would take it to around 24lbs, Scot Dixon wheeled lightweight case for van gigs or flying, padded gig bag on back seat of own car for local gigs .I have folding trolley to carry amp and seat, but remember that does not help if you have lift it in and out of car trunk or lift it up and down stairs.Pics of amp attached.

MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 12:34 am    

I know you're asking more about the amp than the steel, but I highly recommend the "brand X" cases Steve Hinson is building if you want to lose weight on the steel.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 2:16 am    

The GK MB200 weighs 2 lbs, sit it on top if a 1x12 small cab with the neo speaker.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 7:33 am    

Will Van Horn wrote:
I know you're asking more about the amp than the steel, but I highly recommend the "brand X" cases Steve Hinson is building if you want to lose weight on the steel.

Thank you,Will!

Steve

www.brandxcases.com
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 8:33 am    

I've owned and used different brands of split cases and the only one I would recommend is the Brand X cases.

Super light and do the job.

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 8:50 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
If you want to keep the tube sound and have some cash to splash out, the Milkman Half and Half. Amazing tone, tube preamp/class D power, and only two stone. Or was it two stone and 4?

Awhile back I was enjoying our fearless leader b0b playing with some mutual friends at an annual event we have around here, a birthday tribute to Gram Parsons.

b0b was on his his 8 string Desert Rose pedal steel - a fantastic guitar - through a Milkman Half and Half. Fine playing and the tone was incredible. I have had Milkman on the brain ever since that show and I'm trying to figure out how to come up with the dough for one myself.

And that's the key. I think there should be a "law" that when one starts a thread here seeking advice on purchasing equipment like an amp or a guitar, they really need to let us know their approximate budget. There is a huge difference in price between say the Roland Cube 80 and the 28 lbs. Half and Half.

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 8:57 am    

And for the original question I use a Milkman Half and Half for my live gigs these days. It is an amazing amp.

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 9:15 am    

Thanks for all the advice everyone! really helpful!!

The Neo speakers sound very interesting indeed. I didn't mention it before but i'm in the U.K. so quite limited on what i can get my hands on.

I'm not a die hard gear guy but i am stuck on the valve sound and very much so the tweed/deluxe sound (as its my sound) so maybe i should look at fitting one of those speakers too mine for now. I'd love a Milkman amp but £££ and actually getting one here is a problem and i would prefer to get a second good giging steel if i was spending that kind of money to be honest. (part of my issue is the constant packing down, setting up, in and out of the car.)

Out of interest with the Milkman amps... would the 40watt amp distort at gig volumes like my Deluxe? its more noticeable when i use pedals with the steel too... it seems to be all about high wattage/headroom?
I was thinking i could maybe get something built in the UK thats a one channel 80-100watt with a 15?) maybe this would be lighter if it didnt have the drive channel/ reverb? but then, you wouldn't know the sound till it was made i guess!?

Case wise i do have a the original case that the Excel came in, for local gigs. its about 21kg, probably as light as it will get.

I have two amps to play with selling. A '76 Pro Reverb and Fender Super 60. Just too big and heavy so thats where i'm at.

Sorry if it all seems like ramblings... Just voicing my ideas to see my options.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 10:02 am    

Christopher, some of the amps are available in UK, I got my GK MB 200 here £220 appx , Got my Sica Neo (12inch) from Hot Rox Nottingham £120 appx , and built cab, in total cost was around £350. If you wanted to go for one of the dearer US ones, or cheaper ones like Carvin BX500, think about head only, and if you were to go on holiday to US, or have any friends going, get them to bring it back in luggage, most of these amps are light.If up my way you are welcome to try my rig.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2016 10:41 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I've owned and used different brands of split cases and the only one I would recommend is the Brand X cases.

Super light and do the job.

Thanks,Bob!And thanks for giving Fats my number...

He's about to be the proud owner of a Brand X case!

Steve

www.brandxcases.com