| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do "Eyes" or "Ears" effect Steel Buyers????
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 8:28 am    

I know this may be a minor issue, but in buying a Steel which is more important- The APPEARANCE or the SOUND.?? And can either issue stop a sale? Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
Jim Hinton

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 8:42 am    

That's a question that can only be answered by "it depends" ...

As a beginner, 30 years ago, I didn't have a clue what a great sounding steel was compared to a "lesser" sounding guitar. My ear hadn't been trained yet to be able to tell the difference.

But man, did I love the "bells, whistles, and chrome. In essense, visual was more important than audio.

As an "old dude", I'd rather not have too many gadgets to confuse myself with ... just show me how to sound like Paul Franklin, or Buddy Emmons, and I'm in!!

It's like buying a car ... older guys want something that looks decent, but solid as a rock, and that won't fall apart.

Give me a great sound over looks anyday!!

Am I right?
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 9:44 am    

Neither. The mechanics are what sells me. A guitar has to play well, or it's worthless. Appearance is secondary (my hacked up Sierra S-12 is as ugly as they come), and almost all pedals steels sound pretty darn good to me.

It's nice to have a real pretty, great sounding pedal steel, but what's the point if it doesn't have positive stops or if the pedals keep going out of tune. The quality of mechanical construction is the most important thing.

The guitars that sell well are beautiful, sound great, and have great mechanical design. If someone has added hardware store parts on a guitar or jury rigged something in some goofy way, I'm just not interested.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra SD-12 (Ext E9), Williams D-12 Crossover, Sierra S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, C6, A6)
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 9:56 am    

TONE and like Bob,mechanics.Boring black works just fine with me.

Db

------------------

"Promat"
~when tone matters~

Ron !

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 11:01 am    

quote:
It's nice to have a real pretty, great sounding pedal steel, but what's the point if it doesn't have positive stops or if the pedals keep going out of tune. The quality of mechanical construction is the most important thing.

could not have said it better.

Ron

Nikaro SD10 4x6

[This message was edited by Ronald Steenwijk on 21 November 2004 at 11:02 AM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 11:59 am    

All three are important to me:
Eyes (appearance); Ears (sound/tone); and Works (mechanics)

Ears 50%
Works 30%
Eyes 20%

I will not buy a guitar with dead spots or with too harsh or muddy tone
I will not buy a guitar that does not stop positively, tune accurately, and play smoothly
I will not buy a butt ugly guitar

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 12:07 pm    

I agree with b0b that the mechanical issue is most important. The 'EYE" buyer usually is the new 'WANNABEE" player and buys a guitar that is eye appealing.TONE can be altered with amps, etc. Most customers I have that "Eye" buy usually just want to upgrade the instrument. They soon realize a 3/1 is limited and they need more Pedals, Knees etc.Regardless you need to know what a bar does,and what the pedals do. ED
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 12:53 pm    

I respectfully disagree that tone can be changed in a profound and positive way by EQ or pickup choice. A guitar has an intrinsic sound. Some are mellow, others are bright, many are in between. Taking a mellow guitar and goosing the high end on your amp will not make it sound like a bright guitar.

I suspect that most players in the late 60s - early 70s would have been happy to just let Sho-Bud be essentially the only brand if you could take a mellow guitar and brighten it up with the amp. There was a reason why 'Brand X' (the Emmons push-pull) quickly captured a major segment of the market. The high mid and high frequency overtones are totally different on a bright guitar like an Emmons or a ZumSteel than they are on a Bud or an MSA from the 70's.

I know. I tried to make an MSA sound like an Emmons for several years before I wised up. (nothing negative about MSA, it just wasn't what I was looking for tone-wise) The more treble I added the more brittle it became.

Just my opinion.

------------------
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 1:27 pm    

I go for mechanics (smooth,easy working mechanism). I am satisfied with using equipment and touch to change the tone. If the audience is pleased with my sound,I am happy. I place most of my efforts into playing for the audience rather than for my "own amazement".
Of course, if the guitar has a noticeably pleasing tone, that is another plus.....JD
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 1:44 pm    

While the forum is one of the great places to debate sound and tone, I have yet to see any randomized controlled double blind trials of sound appreciation. I am trying to get some interest in this for the Dallas Jam. I personally agree with b0b and good engineering makes the technique easier, and thus, sound better. Opinions, on the other hand make the Forum fun. See this for a detailed forum essay:click here. To conclude with an absurd generalization; this would be a non issue if we all had a Kline.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 2:54 pm    

IMHO, this is always an intrigueing topic. My take is that every guitar has it's own inherent "sound" or, timbre. Timbre is the sound you hear comming out of the instrument without any coloration whatsoever. That's the guitar's "personality" or character. Beyond that, there are an infinite number of ways to color that basic timbre...picking technique, bar composition, stomp boxes, amps, etc.

Within each brand I've heard a certain signature timbre. I think that is what sets, for instance, an Emmons P/P apart from an MSA all pull. That signature timbre can't be changed without changing some foundational part of the guitar's construction.

I think it's wonderful that there is such a wide variety of guitars to choose from, but I believe each is tonally unique and, at best, only very similar to other guitars within that brand.

Now, beyond that, you've got the picking style, amp, etc., which is a whole other story.
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 4:13 pm    

Larry Bell wrote:
Quote:
I respectfully disagree that tone can be changed in a profound and positive way by EQ or pickup choice.
I went back through the posts before yours, Larry, and I didn't see anyone saying anything like that. Who are you disagreeing with? Me? I actually agree with you.

That said, I've run across very few steel guitars that I couldn't get an acceptable tone from, just by tweaking a few knobs and adjusting my playing technique a bit. Acceptable to me, anyway.

I've also run across very few that totally knocked me out, tone-wise. Funny how many of those were brand "E".
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 4:19 pm    

How about history and heritage? Any weight there?

SB LDG
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 6:23 pm    

Mr. Naylor asserted:
Quote:
TONE can be altered with amps, etc.

Assuming that by 'TONE', Ed meant the overall tonal quality (e.g., balance of overtone contribution -- what I referred to as 'EARS' above) of a guitar can be altered by turning a knob, I disagree.

I believe that EQ can take a bit of the edge off a bright guitar or can remove some of the dark tone (lo mids and lows) from a mellow guitar, but EQ is not really going to add something that's not there.

This is all pretty subjective stuff, but I believe strongly that certain guitars have a complex tonal quality that appeals to some people, perhaps more than others. You can't EQ an Emmons so that it will sound like a Sho-Bud. There's no EQ that can do it.

------------------

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 21 November 2004 at 06:27 PM.]

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 5:24 am    

Try this- Take a Sho-Bud and a Peavey amp ,turn the amp to"ZERO" settings and have 6 different players sit down and let's see what happens.Is there a remote possibility the way you 'Wiggle" the bar or "Stomp" the Volume pedal it could effect the sound.??? ED
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 7:01 am    

Or, you could shop around and find a guitar that has it all: mechanics, looks, tone, dependability, etc.

Mike Mantey
Mullen Guitars
Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 7:26 am    

Many people call me and tell me they just bought a 3/1 guitar from the Pawn shop. They paid $500 and need info. I send them info but, tell them the Guitar is limited but, they can at least learn fret and chord positions, What the pedals do and how and why the Knee functions.I tell them to accept the limitations and get local players to help them get started , and plan on another Guitar in a few months. It's called"Make What You Have Work For You. " ED
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 11:11 am    

One third of your chord positions are missing if you don't have an F lever. Nobody should start on a 3+1 guitar.

Larry, I think maybe you're reading more into Ed's statement about tone than he intended. Or maybe not.

In my mind, there's no denying that an amplifier can alter tone in "profound and positive ways". I can't make my Webb sound like my Boogie, or visa versa. They both bring out different characteristics of any instrument that's plugged into them. It's not just a matter of EQ - no amount of knob twisting will make a Webb sound like a Boogie.

We are playing electronic instruments. The amp is a part of the instrument - the part that actually outputs sound. Let's not minimize its role to that of a simple EQ device.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 11:55 am    

"eyes" to the novice, "ears" to the seasoned, but not at the expense of each other. What are the eyes looking for? Color? Glitter? Or are they looking for strength and ruggedness?

Dat's why vee recommends zee experienced PSG enthusiast to accompany zee novice on buying expeditions. (Unless yer goin' to see Bobbe or Scotty or those of that group where your "mentor" is already there...)
Quote:
randomized controlled double blind trials of sound appreciation.

My goodness what a can of worms that could turn out to be

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 22 November 2004 at 11:59 AM.]

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 12:46 pm    

My idea of the post was to focus on a problem relating to Steels.Unfortunately there are 1000's of 3/1 guitars still around.Prior to that we had the ELECTRAHARP, FENDER 400 and the MULTI-KORD.Many forumites started with these "Limited" guitars, and upgraded.If we convince the "Newbee" of the limits and support them and help them upgrade we will gain in the long run.Maybe we should have a "RECALL" like they do on drugs.Ed
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 2:59 pm    

I've heard that they burn pretty well if you douse them with gasoline first.
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 5:50 am    

Both. That's why my main guitar is an Emmons D10 p/p with a blond lacquer body.

My first guitar was a Gibson "Elektraharp". It showed up in a want-ad only a few days after I was bitten hard by the PSG "bug".

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 6:06 am    

giving this lots of thought.i do like a pretty guitar,and birdseye always steals my heart.i've got 2 sho-buds right now,trying to decide which one i like the most!have a old professional,and a pro 3 alum.necks.using the same up,i take the Hilton pedal,unplug from one steel,and go to other.it's hard to say,2 complete different sounds,same amps.setting ect.guess i go by the feel.some steels you set behind,just feel at home,others just don't got that feel.guess,i'd say feel over looks. farris
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 7:06 am    

It's hard to get pretty music out of an UGLY guitar!
Erv
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 7:12 am    

Come on ERV,ugly women are good lovers tooooo, in the dark!!!!!!!!ha ha farris