| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  squareneck
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 6:14 pm    

I've been happily plinking away this year on an inexpensive Washburn acoustic with a nutlifter and a Stevens bar lap style in G tuning. I don't have much dough , but darnit, I want that pie plate! I've seen the Johnson , Flinthill and Regal squarenecks on Ebay for the price I can afford , but I don't have the luxury of trying one out. Ayone feel like sharing their experienxes with these instruments?
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 10:09 pm    

Any of the three instruments you mention would make a good instrument for a beginner. The Regal and Flinthill guitars both seem to be manufactured in Korea, although some models may be made in Japan. I've played the Regal model made in Korea. Although it wouldn't fool anybody who's ever played a real Dobro, the sound is quite acceptable.
The Johnson National-style guitars are made in Shanghai, China, and the Johnson tricones are made in the Czech Republic.
Paul Beard sells an updated version of the Flinthill resophonic guitar with a better cone, bridge and nut installed.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 04 July 2001 at 11:10 PM.]

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 11:20 pm    

There also now seems to be a Johnson wooden squareneck "dobro copy", with spider bridge, etc... From the photos I've seen on the Internet, it may well be the same guitar as the Regal/Flinthill.
I have tried several Regals and Flinthills, and most have been very good - I do think it is worth hunting around until you find one in a shop, and trying it out, though...
Nick
patrick donovan

orange, texas, usa
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 3:01 am    

Kevin,

I purchased a Regal RD-35 (Sunburst) on eBay for 180.00 about a year ago. I am completely satisfied with the guitar, it is "alot" of guitar for the money. I havn't changed anything but will eventually change the tuning keys as mine seems to have excessive play in them. It sounds and plays well.

Regards, Patrick
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 10:59 am    

Can anyone spell out the differences between the RD-35 and the RD-45? The 35 shows up on ebay a lot, for much less than the 45, but (of course), you get what you pay for...

Thanks,
PJJ
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 6:37 pm    

Hey everyone , thanks for the comments and information, much appreciated by this beginner. Ths forum is excellent!