| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seeking Info On A Vintage Sierra Pedal Steel
James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 4:07 pm    

A very good friend of mine has located a Sierra Pedal Steel up in Takoma, WA. He is interested in purchasing it and the seller is asking $600.00. The serial number 0026. The serial number is on a small metal plate on the underside of the guitar. The guitar has a maple body in a "Blue-ish" finish. Chrome Plated Steel surrounds the body of the guitar. It is a Double 10 String with 9 pedals. The undercarriage is an all cable mechanism. The keyhead has Kluson tuners and the pickup covers are painted a black "crinkle" finish as is the cover over the changer mechanism. It has "refrigerator door" handles on each end. I have pictures but no way to post them here. I will be happy to e-mail them if anyone is interested in dating this guitar and giving an appraised value. It would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
JP

[This message was edited by James Pennebaker on 22 November 2004 at 04:12 PM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 4:24 pm    

It sounds like this guitar is from the Scythian, or possibly Middle Triassic period. If home carbon-14 dating fails, perhaps your friend could get more information from the Archaeology Department of his state university.
James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 4:58 pm    

Thank you Earnest. You have been a big help.
JP
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 5:23 pm    

James, it sounds like a late 50's to early 60's Sierra, in the transition from Bigsby-style guitar to Fender style guitar. I've seen several different models of this type Sierra, if it's like what I'm thinking of; all had different type appointments and components. Some were Wright Customs, I think. David Wright could shed more light on this type of instrument. It's a museum piece, though... Ernest has that right.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 6:03 pm    

600$ is the good-to-high side IF it's a playable instrument.

Bobby Dixon's similar vintage Wright Custom went for 300$ at the Sierra auction. Perfect shape from what I saw. I haven't time tonite but I posted a pic of it on the Sierra Auction string. If I have some time tonite or tomorrow I'll find it. Here it is.

He's not going to be getting a picasso at a yard sale price. Mainly it's the playability and little else.

There's a lot of obscure psgs.

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 22 November 2004 at 06:29 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 7:14 pm    

Bobby Dixon's guitar is more Bigsby-esque. I've seen photos of the guitar James is asking about. It's of the Fender-style design, a model that Lee Jeffriess also owns.

Bobby's guitar was at the Sierra room at ISGC a few years ago. Don C. was offered $1000 for it, as I recall, and passed on the deal. He should have taken the money and ran.

------------------

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 7:53 pm    

It was surely a nice one, and I'd have bid on it myself, but by that time it was appearant that it would be bid up further than I wanted to go. I don't think it had cables.

I like most players aren't going to ba happy if both necks aren't capable of "standard emmons" changes.

EJL
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 9:30 pm    

The Bobby Dixon guitar, which I personally lusted for before I got my Bigsby, would be suitable for a western swing guy and/or 50's player only. You could probably get a Bud Isaacs tuning on there, but that'd be about it. Most likely pedals 5 and 6 on the C6 also.

------------------

James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 9:51 pm    

Many thanks for all the info from everyone. Especially thanks to Herb Steiner for his valuable info and e-mails. I am passing the info on to my buddy Donnie so he can make an informed decision.

JP
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 6:00 am    

I had one just like that. Early 60's version serial number 00015. It had cable pull with single raise and single lower.