| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did I do the right thing ?
BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 1:40 pm    

For the last 10 years I've played almost exclusively in top 40 country bands. We would play everything you hear on the radio as close to the record as possible to a bunch of,for the most part,un-appreciative line dancers. Anyway, the band broke up around 7 months ago and is in the process of reforming.
My dilema is i've notice an improvement in my playing since i've been away from this band.. I no longer feel the pressure of having to learn all the signature steel licks or in this case try and fit the steel in places where it really doesn't belong. Instead i've been able to devote my limited practice time to playing against tracks (BIAB). I'm also finally getting the chance to learn the C6 neck.
I'd like to devote my time now to becoming a true player. I presently don't really consider myself one...not in the real sense of the word.
Anyway, I just placed a call to the band informing them of my decision not to rejoin the band.
Bands around here are few and far between. Chances are I wont be finding another one for a while. I feel a little torn here. Did I make a mistake quitting ? Is it better to play with a band ,even if your tired of the material, than not play in a band at all?
What do you guys think ?

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 2:07 pm    

There are always bands that want a steel player, Bob. The trick is to find one that follows the same muse as you.
Ron Jones

Lenoir City, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 4:46 pm    

Bob, I'm glad you ask that question because I'm in the exact same situation and would like to here from the guys and gals on this. I played with the same group for seven years. One of the key players quit and it just hasn't been the same for me since. We have auditioned several bass players and had some good ones, but they can't practice or they have to wash their car or something. For the last three years I have been burned out. And now I just want to quit but this was a family for seven years. Wish I had the answers. Good luck.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 4:55 pm    

Bob G and Ron,
I've been through this enough times to have learned a solid principle: if you are no longer excited by, or interested in, the music your band is playing, and there's no other strong mitigating reason to hang with it...then hang it up, take a break, practice, jam with others. When music isn't fun, it's barely worth doing.

I just left a top 40 c/w band, largely to regain some balance in my life, but also because we lost the lead singer and lead player, and without them, the weakness of the rhythm section was too obvious to ignore. Without a good grove, the music is just torture for me. So I quit, and haven't looked back.

I've also quit after frustrations with pretty dismal lead singers, or bandleaders with crappy attitudes. I've never regretted any of those decisions.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 6:22 pm    

When I hear all these type stories like this; I thank the Lord that I never got stuck like that. What I'm talking about is my progression in my own steel playing has always progressed. I got lucky and pretty much hooked right up with an original singer/songwriter from the start and have always pretty much played with Original singer/songwriters. I did play in a cover band subbing in for a friend for a few months and I can see how that would limit my expression of my own ability in a matter of no time at all...ha.
I have always been blessed with getting to Create the music and not have to copy the music(although I don't object to coping; but not for a living..ha). I think that is the key and the reason I have NEVER felt a slump in my playing(well unless I go without a playing job for too long..ha.) as I've always had my work cut out for me to make the steel guitar work within the singers own original songs. Sure we play classics and covers but that is not the highlight of the show; as their own songs are what folks come out to see and hear us play.
There may not be alot of "country bands" in your area....but I guarentee you there are A LOT of original singer/songwriters doing music that you could excel on your steel guitar in helping to create the song(s).
Also bringing out your own originality in your steel playing; can ONLY be done like this. To me in my opinion; I don't think any steel player can ever feel truly satisfied in their playing, until they get to meet these challenges of Creating their own ideas in a song that has no reference of any steel guitar playing in it before.
Good luck in your quest.
Ricky
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 6:55 pm    

This is the truth. One of the reasons why I would never pursue a top 40 road job. Briliiant observations here.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 7:02 pm    

Been there, done that. As have hundreds of us forum folk. You did the right thing. You have an opportunity to be more of a musician for it rather than less of one.
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 7:51 pm    

If you can't enjoy what you're doing ,get out and wood shed while you're looking for another band. I think you did the right thing, for sure.
Joey Aguilera

Whittier, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 7:59 pm    

Hey Bob,

As you can see you are not alone. A few months ago I left my band of 3 years (where I played 6 string guitar in) to concentrate more on other things in my life, one of which is the PSG. I am giving myself 2 years to learn this Pedal Steel the way I want to know it before I attempt another band.

[This message was edited by Joey Aguilera on 12 November 2004 at 08:02 PM.]

Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 9:29 pm    

I've always heard, "Variety is the spice of life!"

Bob
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 9:41 pm    

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 18 November 2004 at 09:22 AM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 2:53 am    

Bob, find a band that wants to sound like itself,
and not be a slavish copy band.

Sure those bands work a lot, but it is rote work, good for kids to learn to play,
pick up licks, and get a bit more pro,
but after that it is rote and nothing more,

There are bands that do a mix of originals and covers,
but the last are done THEIR WAY.
Something like this will bring you much more satisfaction,
even if it doesn't work as much.

I have a very nice gig in Euro Disney next weekend, the artist is quite happy
that I will play like me and only copy a line on the CD's if I like it .
Many of them I Do like, but paraphrase most in form if not in substance.

I just take the solo or kick off in the same place, but neccesarily the same licks,
even on the cover tunes. And the covers are very steel heavy.

She wants her 7 peice band, to sound like her band, not a different band every song.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 13 November 2004 at 02:57 AM.]

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 4:50 am    

I HAVE FOUND MYSELF IN THE SAME SITUATION
MANY TIMES HERE IS WHAT I DO

IF I GET THE CALL TO PLAY I TELL THE BAND OR PERSON THAT I PLAY MY WAY BUT I DO NOT OVERPLAY AND I PLAY (OR TRY TO)WHAT FITS
AND SOMETIMES THAT MAY BE COVER LICKS
IN THE STUDIO I TRACK MY WAY AND AM
FLEXABLE TO A POINT
ITS BETTER TO BE UP FRONT AND HONEST
YES IT MAY COST ME SOME WORK BUT I HAVE NOT LOST MUCH THAT DOES NOT MEAN I THINK
I AM A GREAT PLAYER I AM NOT BUT SOME
PEOPLE AND BANDS DONT NO THAT MUCH ABOUT
STEEL GUITAR SO IF YOU ARE A GOOD PLAYER
AND PLAY TASTEFULLY YOU WILL WORK
AS FAR AS TRACKS I THINK THEY ARE THE BEST
THING FOR PLAYERS EVEN IF YOU DONT PLAY IN A BAND THEY KEEP YOUR CHOPS UP!!
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 5:23 am    

I have played in a few bands in my lifetime. Two of them were the longest at 7 years each. All my playing was either on the bandstand or at rehearsal, learning other people's songs. I did not have the time to devote to working on things that I wanted to do on steel. In a 4 hour set, I was lucky to do 2 instrumentals. Since not playing with a group, I have accumlated over 40 instrumentals. When I was playing with a band, I probably knew 5 or 6. I do plan on playing with a band again if the right opportunity comes along, but I am really enjoying and learning more by myself. Plus, I sure don't miss lugging the equipment around. I think you made the right move, at least for a while. Sounds like you were at the point that you needed a break.
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 7:41 am    

You may question your decision, but you'll know it was the right thing to do when you realize you haven't missed it (in 2-3 months). I quit a band a few months back because they loathed "that Buck Owens sound". Anything close to country wasn't up for discussion. Well, after this prevailing attitude was instilled in the band, I realized that the fun was gone. My decision was easy to make when I bought my Derby in Dalls last February at the show. I got back to town, excited about playing my new PSG with the band, and they weren't a bit interested. I was devastated. Fortunately for me, two of our band members had already quit for different, but similar reasons. That's when I realized that it wasn't fun anymore; it wasn't just me. I picked up playing with a former band member and now I get to play 80-90% PSG. And like Ricky suggested, alot of what we do allows me total freedom to play what I want to play, without copying anybody else. We're doing stuff taht traditionally had no PSG, but we added it. This has been very refreshing. Keep in mind, I have a good day job, and thankfully, do not make a living playing steel (my family would starve to death). Life's to short to do things that you don't love.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 7:56 am    

I played in top-40 copy bands for many years. I kept my sanity by only copying a signature lick if I had to. The rest of the time, I was wingin' it. I experimented, and learned things on stage all the time. Just tried not to hit too many clams. The only way to get me to play it like the record was for the rest of the band to threaten me with bodily harm! Didn't happen. Guess i was lucky that my mates put up with my many "eccentricities". JB
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 10:08 am    

I play in a top forty country band. In the last two weeks we have added three songs to our play list--NOTHING BUT THE RADIO, SOME BEACH, and HOW AM I DOIN'. We try to learn them as close to cover as possible. This helps with our six piece band that has steel, keys, and lead guitar to keep us tight. I do have a little more flexibility than the others to add a little steel when it isn't there. I don't mind learning and copying solo licks and runs that session men like Paul Franklin and Mike Johnson do--I know they knew what they were doing when they did the recordings and they are definitely more talented than I am. By copying someone elses playing I feel I am always still learning something new. I have heard felllow musicians comment that they would rather "do their own thing" than copying the recording--I wonder if some of them use that for an excuse because they can't copy the recording. Last practice the lead singer and I had a discussion over "real country" and he said that he didn't want to play songs that made people look at their watches! You need to have it both ways by playing the new along with the old--let's face it, no one wants to hear THE REMINGTON RIDE other than steel players. Joe
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 10:48 am    

Isn't this the eternal question for most of us? We want to play for the deepest satisfaction of our souls but sometimes find ourselves counting the notes until quitting time? If we arent' playing regularly with other folks we might lose our edge, if we are we run the risk of getting trapped into "the same old licks" and losing our creativity.

I personally have not found the balance yet in over thirty years of trying. Even out here on the Upper Left Edge of the continent there are more pickers than gigs for pedal steel players and even though I play bass, guitars and other instruments I long ago turned to something else that I enjoy and do well to pay my bills, which of course tends to limit my availablility for picking gigs.

The last few years I have been playing with a reasonably successful singer/songwriter who lives in the area but travels a lot and does lots of solo gigs herself. Not too many calls for her to bring her own band (why bring a band to the Opry when you have THOSE cats to back you!) but when we do play it is a gas, mostly because her material is so good - NOT "Top 40" but serious western for the most part.

Here's the ringer: She wants the band to dupplicate the sound of her excellent albums (I believe Sonny Garrish has played most of the steel on her several Nashville-produced products) and I have learned a lot of good stuff from studying and learning from those tracks. Once I have mastered the original licks I then have a foundation to develop my own variations within the context of that form and as long as I have the essential figures in place the rest sounds like it belongs even though it is my own creative interpretation.

This HAS required a lot of time woodshedding, listening to and playing along with every great steel picker's recordings and every other song that I love and specifically avoiding the music that I will be playing on stage.

Am I being too obtuse here? The point is, if you're going to break the law, be sure that you first understand the law it and why it became a law -- then you have the background to do something meaningful with your time.

Blah blah blah -- Dave

------------------
Strung Out on Great Sounds

pdxaudio.com/dgbio

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 4:26 pm    

I think quitting that band will allow you much more time to play. All of the years I have played steel I played in a top 40's country bands. Almost all copy stuff. I now play a gig but it is only me. I use my band in a box and a good sound card. I'm playing for about two and a half hours every thur., all instrumentals and everything I(also know as ME,ME,ME) want to play. It is not a country gig but I play a few country songs. I never knew the difference until I started doing something else. I personally couldn't get that much better playing turnarounds and a solo now and then. Now when I go to a country jam I will try and play what is approprate. (not combining genra can be hard). But now I can also go to a jazz or blues jam and have a good time also. KEEP pickin with BIAB....it practices with you at 5 a.m.,lets you teach yourself music you don't usually play in a band and Then, if you want to step out and play with a band you can and you'll only be scratching the tip of the iceberg of all the new found skill you never would have had the chance to develop. Damm....why wasn't I notified 14 years ago.

[This message was edited by W Franco on 13 November 2004 at 04:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by W Franco on 13 November 2004 at 04:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by W Franco on 13 November 2004 at 04:33 PM.]

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 5:16 pm    

I played for 3 years in a house band doing all top 40 country tunes. Everything was very disciplined and in some ways that was good. I learned a lot from it. But I didn't have the freedom to stretch and create. As a result my C-6th abilities went away as most material was E-9th and it hurt me on the E-9th because you just don't get the work out. The last 10 years I've been in an old country/swing band. We have very distinct parts to play but also of freedom to stretch as far as you can on solos. I get to play C-6th probably 60% of the time.
This has been a very enjoyable situation for me.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2004 5:28 pm    

You truly are lucky Roger. You're a great player. I remember learning Satin Doll probably 8 years or more ago. Didn't play C-6 really so it was quite a challange even to just copy the Emmons tab note for note. It took quite a while to memorize, then I forgot it because I could never find anyone to play it with.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2004 2:34 pm    

Here's a novel idea !! Why don't YOU start a band -- get the guys together that think in the same musical direction as yourself, and move it forward from there!! Doing original material is the way to progress with your own ideas and style, so if you can hook up with a really good songwriting team your on your way!
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 7:16 am    

If you'll pardon the coarseness, it does sum things up pretty nearly perfectly:

Quote:
"Buddy Rich was of the opinion that 'a gig is a gig. What else am I gonna' do on a Saturday night?'. I respect BR's opinion as I would a prophet. Yet, it doesn't quite handle my feelings about performing. I'll put this as lyrically as I can: I won't work in shitholes, for shitmoney, paid by shitheads."

Copied from Robbie Bossers interview of Buddy Cage... http://www.thecoolgroove.com/cage.html

I was also once told (as closely as I can remember it now) that Charlie Christian said: "I only take my axe out of the case if I know one of three things is going to happen: it I'm going to have some fun, if I'm going to make some money, or if I'm going to learn something."

If you don't like the music, playing it can be a pretty disheartening process. It can make you not only have no fun at the gigs, but it will mean that you might not be in the mood to work out on more interesting stuff. Finally, if something better comes along, you aren't free enough to be able to jump in and do it.
BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 7:44 am    

Alot of great feedback here....just as i expected. I've definately decided not to take the gig... on a steady basis anyway.
I think i'll just woodshed for a while and take any freelance gig that occaisionally comes along..
Who knows with enough practice someday I might be able to handle the 12:00 to 12:30 slot at the PSGA show in Norwalk. LOL

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

[This message was edited by BobG on 18 November 2004 at 07:45 AM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 8:16 am    

.........It took quite a while to memorize, then I forgot it because I could never find anyone to play it with.........

That's a familiar story.....I learned literally hundreds of nice instrumentals through the years, and then have them fade from my memory because I never played them.

The usual reason was: "Everyone doesn't know that, let's just play Steel Guitar Rag"!

www.genejones.com