| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bass amp for steel guitar
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 5:27 am    

Hello, is anyone using a bass amp with 15"speaker and an effects processor to run your steels through. If so what processors are you using. I have a new Fender Rumble 200 amp and love it. I also play bass. Thank you.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 5:36 am    

I wouldn't run a multieffects unit if it were given to me, and a payment offered for its use.
But bass amps usually make great steel amps. My first amp was my dad's Ampeg B-15N
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 5:59 am    

I've used bass amps for several years, and like them very much. GK MB200, Carvin BX500, Carvin MB15, Carvin BX250 all work well for me. I use both 15 or 12 inch speakers. Digitech Rp155 for effects.
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 6:23 am    

Chuck I have two, both MM. One is a 150 watt the other is a 65 watt. I use them often and both sound great to my ear. They do not have reverb so I use a Boss RV 70 rack mount for that. Both into a 15in speaker.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 7:08 am    

I use a POD X3 for reverb and delay (effects only, no amp modeling) with my Carvin BX500 "bass" amp and an Eminence EPS-15C speaker.

Before the Carvin, I used a GK MB200 "bass" amp.
Joel Brown

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 10:10 am    

Chuck - How do you like the Fender for PSG? I play a lot of bass and I love those new rumbles. So lightweight without compromising too much tone. I'd love an amp I could use for both, if possible.
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 10:38 am    

Thanks guys for the response. Good information. Joel I like the amp very much, has a lot of punch. I just cant find a good reverb with my old lexicon mpx 100. The amp is the best amp I have ever played bass through. Now I need it to work for the steel. It has almost to much bottom end. Im thinking possibly the Zoom processor you can really dial in on the effects. Thank again everyone. Chuck
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 11:18 am    

Jack Stoner recommended I try one of the Carvin Bass heads. I did try an Eden bass head awhile back and didn't really care for it. But Jack was right about these Carvin Bass heads. I play Bass once in awhile in our praise band, so it's great it can do double duty. Sounds decent for lead guitar as well. I bought the Carvin BX700, when it was on one of Carvin's "Daily Specials". Landed it for $360. Best $360 I ever spent. I use a Wet Reverb, Brads Earth Drive, and the Wampler Faux Tape Echo, and of course the Hilton. Though a 15" JBL, or 15" Weber Speaker in a Johnson cab.
http://www.carvinaudio.com/collections/bx-series-bass-amplifiers/products/bx700

I went and got this bag to carry my BX700 in. Plenty of pockets for cables and things.
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-in-tool-bag-61469.html
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 11:53 am    

Chuck, the MPX100 is so variable, it's real easy to find bad reverbs, but with patience you should be able to find one that works. I'll try to post my settings Monday or so.
Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 12:45 pm    

I am glad there is love for the Rumble series. We have also been getting reports that jazz guitarists are buying these.

Also try Fender's Bassman 500 head (it's a bass amp, not guitar). It has a 2-channel (Vintage & OD) tube front end and a 500W @ 4 OHm class D power amp.

REF:
http://www.fender.com/bass-amplifiers/bassman-pro/bassman-500-head/2249600000.html#product-grid=&start=1

I lent one to Chuck Back & he loved using it with his own open back speaker cabs.

Best Regards,
Sam
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 1:28 pm    

I've used an Eden World Traveller 550 (their micro amp, though, is terrible), played through an old Fender Bassman or two (absolutely love the sound, but not much headroom), and am thinking about an Aguilar which seems pretty well voiced for pedal steel - all these with a 15' Black Widow speaker.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 7:51 pm     bass amp

Im using the new Ampeg 500 watt (portaflex) flip top setup. I used a Peavey mega bass rack unit back in the 90's and liked it. Amps have changed some since then,,, but tube still sounds great. Using a HOF Arena reverb.

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 6:23 am    

Susan,

Are you going to use the Aguilar to take the place of the EQ on your Carvin BX?

Which model Aguilar pedal are you considering?
Thanks!
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 6:26 am    

SWR SM-500 bass rack head, 2 X 250w per side, into bass cabinet for bass, a pair of 12" Black Widow 112E cabs for steel & guitar with some modelering going on in sneaky places. I am one of those weirdos for whome modelers work dandy, but they DO have a steep learning curb to jump in cold. I am not going to carry too many amps. when yer spinal discs say "Kaput!" be respectful... be VERY respectful...
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 4:24 pm    

I use a GK MB200 now and then for small rooms with a single 12.. Pretty dang nice little amp. It can easily be a go to amp...

I am also going to start using a mid 70s Fender Bassman 50 (50 watt) head with a single 12. If you like a Twin Reverb ,the pure tones of the Bassman Normal channel will fit the bill. Just a heads-up, the gain stages of a BF/SF Bassman have no tremelo or reverb circuits to get in the dang way of the signal!

Why do I not stick with something like the GK-MB200 or a Nashville 112 ? I prefer the Fender amps for Telecaster which I play a lot on gigs. Steel only gigs, no issues, but double duty creates a different deal for me...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 6:19 pm    

Tom,

I have the Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal, and I do sometimes use it to take the place of the eq on the Carvin (too many knobs - I'm still fiddling around with that amp). I also like this pedal for when I'm playing my Emmons through a Nashville 112 - it seems to give it just the right kick, and when I need it, there's a really nice distortion.

I'm thinking of getting the Tone Hammer 500 micro amp (a bass player friend of mine absolutely loves his). It has the same pre-amp as the pedal, and I like that sound. Plus, it is really really light.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2016 7:38 pm    

I have a SWR 4004, Pre Fender, that is sitting here gathering dust. Had it for 8 years or more. Killer bass amp so it might work on a steel. Might hook it to my Music Man combo speaker and find out.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2016 7:18 pm    

One of the best sounding amps I ever played through was my D-10 LeGrande through an old Ampeg B-15 at a rehearsal once. Couldn't get much clean volume, but the tone was amazing.

I agree with Lane on Multi effects units...pure garbage; made for kids & bedroom players.

Been using stomp boxes for over 30 years & love 'em!

I also recently bought a Rumble 200 for bass gigs, because my old Combo 300 was ridiculous to try & move, & I can lift the Rumble with my pinky. Gonna hafta try it for steel.

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2016 4:43 pm    

The late great Curly Chalker used two 1959 Fender Bassman amps for several years to get his killer sound.
Jonathan Mitguard

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 11:52 am    

I have used a GK MB 500 hybrid and it works pretty well. It has two channels so one can be set to overdrive. The over drive tone isn't so great though. The clean tone is decent but not ultimate. What is really cool about it though is it only weighs 4 lb, so even though I carry a much heavier tube amp I always have this for back up, and it can handle even the loud rock band I play with.

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2016 8:41 am    

Does anyone use a GK 700RB ll? for steel...
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2016 11:46 am    

Another user of a MB 200 and I use a Tommy Huff 15" speaker cab.
Sounds great with my electric guitars, too.
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2016 4:58 pm    

My backup is a Crate BT-220 - 225 watt 15" bass combo, has a 4 band eq section. Wish it had reverb. I use a Micro Cube in the signal chain for some delay and reverb.