| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to steel and the forum
Chuck Holley

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2016 6:49 pm    

Hi Everyone,

I the new kid here and I thought I reach out in hopes of getting a little advice.

I play guitar (not great). I love a good slide guitar but I'm also interested in learning how to play lap steel. I've decided to find a lap steel and take some lessons.

I was visiting with a luthier friend about this. He told me the old Nationals and Supros have good pickups in them. I was looking at a Silvertone on Ebay. He said there's nothing wrong with Silvertones but there are better options out there.

Another player friend advised me to avoid the really cheap ones. The main thing is, find something which will stay in tune.

I'm open to new and used. Since I'm starting at square one, I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Chuck Holley
Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 4:24 am    

Yes you are. Asking advice is one of the main functions of the forum.

Welcome to the forum. I've bumped this for you so that some very knowledgeable people may further assist you with your inquiries. Unfortunately I am not one of them.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 6:20 am    

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the forum.

This thread contains my opinion (for what it's worth) and that of a few others...

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=294521

If you search around, you'll find other similar threads and maybe some more ideas.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 7:28 am    

Welcome! If you give us an idea of how much you want to spend, we can probably recommend something within that price range that will make you happy.
Chuck Holley

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 3:13 pm    

Maybe I should start by explaining what I like. I'm a big fan of Cindy Cashdollar. (who isn't?) Carolyn Wonderland, too.

While Cindy is best known for her work in the Western Swing genre, I like her blues work even more. Sometimes I'll go to Youtube and listen to songs she's played with Sonny Landreth. Or Johnny Nicholas and Hellbent.

At this point, I want to find a lap steel which isn't too expensive. I've been told what is most important is to find one which will stay in tune. I understand the can be a problem with some inexpensive ones.

I'm open to new or used. Are some equipped with pickups which are better suited to blues?

If I buy a used one, I can take it to a luthier friend if it has issues. For that matter, I can always change the pickup. I'd like to find something which would serve the purpose while capping the cost at $400-$500.

I have a teenage son who wants to get his hands on a lap steel. Judging from the way he's learned guitar from Youtube videos, I suspect he'll run with it. With me it could be a different story.

Does this help?