| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Snuff Garrett Died Dec. 16,2015 one more great to Heaven.
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2016 12:17 pm    

My last time in speaking to Snuff Garrett was at Cliff Crofford funeral.Man, the memories are adding up more everyday as I live on. RIP Brothers. Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr. Crying or Very sad
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 3:07 pm    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuff_Garrett
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2016 3:54 pm    

Growing up in Lubbock during the fabulous 50s I remember "Snuff" well,,,,he was a year or 2 older than I was (I think he was same age as Buddy). Our crowd was a great bunch of guys,,,amazing how many went on to have VERY successful careers,,,when at the time we were just all having fun.
Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 12:59 am     Snuff

Shocked I thought Snuff Garrett was the drummer for Bill Anderson???
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 3:30 am    

Sonny, I did not know you grew up in Lubbock.
That must have been a fun time, and one of the most productive in terms of musicians that came out of the Flatland.
Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 1:57 pm    

Hey Charlie,,,,oh yes,,,one of the greatest blessings of my life was growing up in Lubbock,,,at that time in history,,,with the guys I grew up with. Little did any of us know at the time what a historical time and place it would be. Now in my old age things dawn on me,,,like just a couple of weeks ago I heard the song "Claudette" by the Everlys, written by Roy Orbison,,,,and realized,,,hey,,,I knew Claudette Frady,,,now the object of a "hit" song,,,but at the time just another girl we all knew,,,,as were all the other people who became "famous",,,all that period just seems surreal sometimes. At the time we were all just a bunch of guys beating on old guitars.

Like Carl Perkins said,,,,"I Was There When It Happened (in Lubbock)",,,yes,,,very blessed!!!
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 4:47 pm    

Unfortunately, I wasn't there then, and I didn't know Claudette was, but who knew Roy Orbison did?
And I didn't know Snuff Garrett, L.J. The roots here do run deep, looking for water.
You hear a lot of things about the place, but the line of cars at the Hi-D-Ho was much like anywhere in the country.
just kids, looking for stardom whether they knew it or not. Buddy Holly is still the king here....
Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 8:03 pm    

Orbison never lived there that I know of,,,the Frady's did for a while. Claudette was a pretty girl,,,married Orbison when she was pretty young I think. Mac Davis was a couple of years younger than I was,,,used to follow us home from Carroll Thompson Jr High,,,playing grab a$$,,,very clean cut kid,,,,beautiful sister (Linda Kaye) that was our age.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 3:49 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuff_Garrett

This is quite an article:
Quote:
At seventeen, Garrett was a disc jockey in Lubbock, Texas, where he met Buddy Holly....
His first job as producer for the label was on Johnny Burnette's "Settin' the Woods on Fire" on July 9, 1959.... Among Garrett's roster of artists were Bobby Vee, Johnny Burnette, Gene McDaniels, Buddy Knox, Walter Brennan, Gary Lewis & the Playboys and Del Shannon.
He also hired Phil Spector briefly; one of his assistants was Leon Russell; lots of other names mentioned.

I'm glad you brought this to our attention, LJ; so many people in the history of music one wouldn't want to forget.
I don't think he was a drummer; he wasn't even a musician--a player, that is--but knew when he was hearing good music.
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 11:07 am    

Charlie thanks, It's like our Bakersfield Sound of Red Simpson, Hello,I'm A Truck ". My roots of History I could feel last night at Trout's on that stage as I was playing Guitar & Vocal performing with some great Musicians that the world will never know how vital they them self are. Ron Epperson,Brian Lonbeck,Larry Petree and many others. I don't want to say to many names because everybody think I'm a name dropper and I don't know who these folks I talk about,But,I do.Friends-Associates in being with many for many reasons.I do it by dropping their names with respect for the young folks know these people means something by name. See you soon again Charlie! Winking Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 11:32 am    

I hope so, Leo. You can drop as many names on me as you like because I believe every one of them. Yes, names are important.
Hoping the new year is auspicious and productive. Must be nice to be on the road.
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 12:05 pm    

Charlie,it's not the road, it's the people that come with it as you meet them,Musicians/Artist/Songwriters. Gus Hardin'> Blankenship,you need to do what it was are is in that mind of yours to let them folks know you are just as much " A " big a part of the Music World Industry History too my brother!. Winking
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 2:19 pm    

That's what I mean by the road. Smile
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2016 7:43 pm    

Just remember the road don't kill you,you kill the road if you don't use it. Think deep Charlie. Remember my Denny visit with them girls! They have my ICON SUPER STAR CD and that ain't no Pedigree. Winking
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2016 9:19 am    

TTT! What a great talent gone and the one's with him. Glenn Campbell & Fats Domino hanging in there. Who Next? Crying or Very sad I miss so many of these great folks who was a part of my life one way are another. MUSICIANS HEAVEN!
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2016 5:24 pm     Re: Snuff

Bill Bailey wrote:
Shocked I thought Snuff Garrett was the drummer for Bill Anderson???

Nope, that would be Snuffy Miller: http://www.countrystandardtime.com/news/newsitem.asp?xid=1848
Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2016 6:44 pm     Snuff

Smile Thanks Frank for the info. I stand corrected. Very informative article on Snuff Miller.
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2016 11:16 am    

PIGEONS in STARBUCKS across America. Music to your ears.That Snuff & Cliff song with it's " Whiskey Heaven ". Gus Hardin your in it too! Bring it on Lubbock Charlie and let the world know my friend. Winking
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2016 10:07 am    

Snuff was a household name to many musicians of the 60's.

This Diamond Ring (Gary Lewis) a hit that came out of nowhere as did many others for like Cher.

Also reportedly started the royalties on sales system.

My Dad's Ray Conniff albums, the sound was eventually Snuff.

With Dolenz and Jones of The Monkees;

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2016 10:54 am    

Great producer! I used to have some of the "Fifty Guitars of Tommy Garrett" albums, which were predominantly Tommy Tedesco. Another legend now gone.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2016 11:02 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Great producer! I used to have some of the "Fifty Guitars of Tommy Garrett" albums, which were predominantly Tommy Tedesco. Another legend now gone.

Yes especially since much of that era was heavy instrumental guitar based songs.
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2016 12:15 pm    

I'm going release soon a last time I(Leo) visit-spoke to snuff Garrett video interview before he died that's from Cliff Crofford's viewing service. RIP brothers. Crying or Very sad