| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Sonny James
Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2016 2:23 pm    

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/02/22/country-music-hall-famer-sonny-james-dead-86/80556058/

Tuscaloosa, AL
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2016 3:02 pm    

A great artist with a TON of No. 1 songs!! A great man too!
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2016 3:06 pm    

Not what I wanted to hear today.

I know of people over 50 years of age who say they are serious country music fans who never even heard of him.

In spite of 22 recordings that reached 3 or higher on Billboard's charts in the 1960s--19 of them number 1, more than Owens, Price, Robbins, etc.

I guess mostly because he had the good sense to largely retire relatively young--much like Carl Smith. Who is he, by the way?

Always like Sonny for that recognizable acoustic guitar sound.

Here's a mid-1950s pic of Sonny playing fiddle on the WFAA Shindig, with Jimmy Kelly on steel.

David Thornhill

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2016 4:21 pm     friend

when I was with Loretta, we played a lot of shows with Sonny James. There was no finer gentleman or showman than Sonny. He was a good friend and Brother in Christ. Don't worry I'll see him again. Dave Thornhill
Charley Adair

Maxwell, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2016 8:38 pm    

A great legend. If I remember right, he never played in a bar.
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2016 9:30 pm    

Godspeed Mr. James.

Your songs were of the times.

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2016 10:07 am    

He was a dear old family friend. He and Dad were great buddies. I remember several years ago, while Dad was still alive, I went to a funeral for someone that Dad wanted me to go to to represent us. He just couldn't go at that point, and darned if I can remember whose it was.

Anyway, I saw Sonny there, and I walked up to him and said, "Sonny, if I don't say hi for my Dad, he'll kill me when I get home!" Sonny looked at me and said, "You must be talking about ol' Tex, because you look just like him!"

Really made me feel good. He was truly a gentleman.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Dale Bennett

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2016 12:04 pm     Sonny James

When I was with Ray Price 70-72, I got to meet Sonny, we did some package shows and Sonny was on a couple of them. He was quite and entertainer and musician and seemed like a real nice man. And naturally it was great to meet different people like that. It just made it so much fun.

Montgomery, Alabama, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2016 2:06 pm     Sonny James

I had the Pleasure of meeting Sonny at Don Helms Funeral. He was the True Southern Gentleman! Put Hackleburg on the map!

Last edited by Bill Cook on 23 Feb 2016 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2016 3:03 pm    

Though he didn't write it, "Young Love" is Sonny's signature song.

To be included in the great line from Greg Kihn, "They don't write 'em like that anymore!"

What a beautiful piece of work. A stellar vocal performance, showing range, emotion, and a superb melody. Tension and release. A beautifuliy understated instrumental arrangement.

I'm reading the Robert Hilburn biography of Johnny Cash, and mentioned in the book early on when John was a rising star at Sun Records, Sonny James arranged to play a show with him, he was complimentary and very encouraging to the young Cash and it meant a lot to him.

By the way, the book is now "remaindered" - came out in 2013, found it at Barnes & Noble for $7.98, originally published at $32. Score!

Even Rosanne approved. And she did not care at all for the film "I Walk the Line" starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon.

Sonny James - for those here that knew him, I wish I could say the same. He seemed like a class act all the way.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2016 7:25 pm     Sonny James

Thanks for the in-put Mark. I was just a bass picker and did a little singing but he treated me with what I thought was a great deal of respect.

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2016 11:56 pm    

When I was with Connie Smith (the first time) we did a lot of package shows with Sonny and I remember seeing him (or one of his band) changing strings on that Martin on a daily basis; the result being that incredibly fresh sound he got which was such a huge part of his signature sound on stage. He was truly a southern gentleman, great musician and very special human being and I'm very happy that I got to be his friend.
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2016 2:40 pm    

I've been waiting again to answer about Sonny James. I met him in Nashville with my late friend Al Bruno. He (Sonny James ) had just did some recording on a young lady with " Paper Roses " who's solo career kick in. I because a Associate Friend for years with her. Marie Osmond,thanks to Carl Eckerman. RIP Sonny James and tell Al Bruno we love him with Conway. Crying or Very sad
Howard Coakley

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2016 3:51 pm    

Listening to Sonny James records when I was a teenager helped me to learn to play the guitar. I still sing Young Love. I once heard that Sonny and Hank Snow had the best sounding Martin guitars made. Thanks Sonny for your contribution to country music. God bless you and RIP
Tom Middleton

Austin, Texas, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 7:46 am    

A nice posting from Jerry Douglas on Sonny James from the Jerry Douglas website forum:

JerryD

I just checked this with Jill because I wanted to make sure my mind was solid, but about five years ago Sonny James called to say he enjoyed what I do. I wasn't here so Jill took the call. When I returned home, I called Sonny back and had a long conversation with him in which we talked music. He reminisced on what it was like in his day of touring and making records, comparing it with current methods and what makes a memorable performance. He was a very well-spoken knowledgable man, both on the politics of music and also it's history. My own dad told me about a talk he had with Sonny at a Country Music Park once, and what a nice man Sonny was. They sat on a bench somewhere just out of the blue and discussed all kinds of things. Dad commented on how congenial and comfortable Sonny was. No lofty attitude about his position that day. Not many people remember what a great fiddler he was.One of his first jobs in Nashville was as a fiddler for Jim and Jesse.

Ours was a very nice conversation in which we swore to have dinner, which sadly never materialized. Funny who might call though, and how huge that has remained in my mind. To the point at which it all seemed dreamlike. RIP Sonny James.
joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 8:04 am    

I believe the old band she'll where the Saturday Nite Shindig was held is still standing in the fair grounds in Dallas. It was my favorite show. Not sure but I believe steel player maybe George McCoy. I once worked with someone who introduced Sonny to his wife.