| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My first steel is here!!
Phil Sikes

Greenbank, WA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 3:17 pm    

Well, my first steel has arrived and I am now capable of making some of the strangest sounds known to mankind. I found a great deal on a MSA Classic S12 all set up and ready for me to learn on. I'm off to set the LKL properly and then make more music (at least it is to me).

Thanks to the group for providing so much good reading material before my MSA arrived.

Phil
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 3:25 pm    

Hi, Phil.
Welcome to your worst nightmare and your greatest dream, wrapped in you new four-legged friend.

[This message was edited by Archie Nicol on 11 November 2004 at 07:15 AM.]

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 3:38 pm    

Phil, Welcome to the WWOSG, Wonderful World Of Steel Guitar. You just do not realize what excitement a steel guitar can bring. Having played for 25 years it is still one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. I will tell you everyone starts at the bottom but practice, practice and more practice will help you greatly. The faster you can work with a band the better off you will be. Working with other musicians will be a tremendous advantage for anyone rather than playing at home by yourself. I recommend as you progress to record yourself, especially with a video camera if possible. You will be your greatest critic and a video will show you things you need to work on. If possible buy as many videos, cassette tapes and CD's as possible. I am listening to Buddy Emmons "Live In Boston" while looking at this forum. I wish you much success and lots of fun while pickin such a great instrument.
Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 4:02 pm    

hi phil,
welcome to the most missunderstood group of musicians "if i may" and yet, the most happy and fortunate ones.
to me, the steel guitar is the most sweet and heavenly musical instrument there is.
let me say congratulations to you and have a happy learning.
PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE.
carlos
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 4:07 pm    

Congratulations!! If you will find someone close to you who can help you with form and proper technique, you will cut through the chase. Even if you can find a beginners tape. It will prevent you from having to break bad habits later. Enjoy!!
Phil Sikes

Greenbank, WA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 5:43 pm    

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I got the LKL in the right position now and that helps quite a bit. I am up to playing a seriously bad version of Red River Valley. I have been a semi-pro guitar player for a number of years but a skin condition on my finges has put a stop to that. I have a local guy that plays pretty good steel and I will be hooking up with him before I get too many bad habits. Right now I am just enjoying the sound of music again..

Thanks - Phil
James Morehead

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 6:08 pm    

Jack, A picture is worth a thousand words. It would be easier to just have you watch my playing as to try to explain--------------then you could see what to NOT do!!! HA!!

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 10 November 2004 at 06:10 PM.]

Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 6:30 pm    

Good luck Phil with the MSA and your great new hobby! I enjoy the Winter more than Summer, because I can devote more time to my music.Don't have to waste time mowing painting and the like

------------------
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat

[This message was edited by Patrick Carlson on 10 November 2004 at 06:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by Patrick Carlson on 10 November 2004 at 06:32 PM.]

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 9:33 pm    

Congratulations! You've got a great guitar to start on. I can warn you from personal experience...that S-12 will take you a lifetime to master, and challenge you every step of the way. There's sooooo much music in those 12 strings!! Enjoy you new spouse...love her and she'll give endless hours of pleasure.
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 7:11 am    

Hey Phil,
Welcome to the world of sleepness nights and dreams of new licks. It never fails, those hot licks come at odd hours of the night and you'll not be able to wait until morning to try um out ! You're home life will change if you're married, and while once good neighbors turn on you, just keep on pick'in. A 12 string ? Man you're really gonna have a ball. As for me, I'll stick with my Emmons LaGrand. i'm too old to start all over. Good luck and you'll have a great time.

Carl West
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 7:45 am    

Let the executions begin. Congrats Phil on yer new acquisition. Your left ankle is now about to find out what pretzels already know.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 11 November 2004 at 07:47 AM.]

James Morehead

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 10:27 pm    

Hey Phil! Keep us posted on your progress! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2004 7:18 am    

Very cool. good luck, and enjoy the frustration!
Phil Sikes

Greenbank, WA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 10:40 am    

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the humor section! I am having a ball and learning new things every day. Last night I found that I have a half stop on the LKL, what a surprise. My MSA was rebuilt in 2002 by Tom Bradshaw so I am assuming he installed this, or did they all come with a half stop?

One minor problem I hope someone can help with. One of the fine tuners doesn't fine tune any longer. When I attempt to tune, the little nylon nut just come unscrewed. Are these replaceable glued on or what?

Thanks for the word of encouragement from everyone. My fun meter is pegged to the full on side..

Phil - MSA S12
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 11:50 am    

Phil the threads are stripped it sounds like,yep you can get new ones several places,also Jack bad habits are don't drink to much,like getting drunk!smoking,laying cigarette on guitar,will burn it bad.ha ha
farris
Gregg Thacker

Pasadena, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2004 10:26 pm    

Ferris, you forgot to mention the "Eagle Claw" effect of pickin' and the "Kitty Wells Twitter" with the bar like Jeff Newman describes HA!

Gregg

------------------
If it don't have a Steel, it ain't real!