| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sellers of Carvin BX500
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 11:02 am    

Noticed there are a number of people selling their Carvin BX500. I'm wondering what the dissatisfaction (if that's the reason)is for selling the unit.
I have been interested in the BX500 and have read about its "plus" features, but not about the "minus".
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 11:40 am     Bx 500

Tom,
I've had a Carvin BX 500 for a year now and I really don't know of any negatives, unless the fact that it doesn't have reverb would be considered a negative. I've used reverb pedals for years even when my combo amp had onboard reverb. To me, the Carvin was an improvement over the MB200s that I used for several years. It has so much going for it with all the eq., and at a very attractive price. Just my 2 cents.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 12:38 pm    

I'm using a BX500. I've had many Peavey steel amps over the years but went to separate for "weight reduction". I used an MB200 for a couple of years and still have it. Our lead guitar player who is a "must have Fender tube amp" type and I've worked with for the last 15 years tells me I have the best sound I've ever had with the BX500. The BX500 has a 12AX7 tube (in a real amplifier stage, not the pseudo starved plate tube configuration) and the 12AX7 adds to the sound.

Here is my setup (I was on the 2015 Heartland (KC) Steel Guitar Club Show last August). The Speaker is an Eminence EPS-15C.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 4:39 pm    

I've been using the BX500 for more than a year, and I also have the BX250 and the MB15 combo amp. This is just a guess; but it might be the sellers of these amps have not taken the time to go through all the EQ options to get the sound they like. The amps are naturally very neutral sounding. You need to experiment with the EQ, if you just cut the mids at 800, like with some of the other steel amps, you might not be happy with it. I've found that increasing the high mids, and low mids then using the graphic EQ to cut a little at 800 works very well. The Carvin amps are really excellent, in my opinion, and are real bargains. But you have so many options, it takes a little work to get the best sound for pedal steel. I don't consider this a "minus". I'm very happy using these amps.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 10:20 pm    

I've been looking at them and would probably lean toward the BX700. It would be nice to A/B them. Looks like a $90 dollar difference. Quilter Pro Block 200 has on board reverb but quite a bit more......
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 3:25 am    

Why would anyone need 700 watts of power?

With the BX500, I run the input and output at 3 and still have power (volume) reserve.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 8:45 am    

Maybe this helps: I used to have a GK MB200 and an MB500. I sold the MB500. I just never needed that much power. The Carvins are great. Maybe people decide the same thing. Do I really need that loud of an amp? Seems like 100 watts is all I need these days.

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2016 8:09 am    

I have the MB200 and MB500 and both are nice amps. The MB200 has plenty of power but sounds even better with a Sarno Black Box. The MB500 has three 12ax7 preamp tubes and sounds very warm with more power than you will ever need, IMO. Also is light and I use it for bass guitar also. Wish it had a standard 1/4 in speaker Jack instead of the Speakon connector that you need the Speakon to 1/4 inch adaptor.