| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  MSA SS D10, very clean++SOLD PENDING PAYMENT++
Donald Wright

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 3:31 pm    

I am selling my MSA SS D10 built about 1984 or 85, seriel #26692. The guitar is the SS model which signifies "super sustain" but I have also heard it means "super small". The guitar is 2" shorter and 1" narrow than guitars made previously by MSA. The guitar is solid maple with a blue lacquer finish, not Formica. The finish is in very good condition and I believe the guitar has been refinished.

The first neck is tuned to E9 and the second neck to C6. It has the standard 8 pedal 4 knee lever Emmons setup. On the E9 neck:
LKL raises the "E" strings
LKR lowers the "E" strings
RKL raises string 1 and string 7 a half step
RKR lowers string 2 and string 9 a half step
On the C6 neck:
RKL raises string 3 a half step
RKR lowers string 3 a half step

I made the following improvements when I received the guitar:

The guitar was setup 1" lower than standard height. I bought new pedal rods and returned the guitar to standard height using all new ball joint quick connects.
I replaced all the under carriage pull rods with 308 stainless steel rods. The old rods were aluminum which tend to flex when depressing floor pedals.
I replaced the cross rod bushings with new delrin bushings and replaced all worn brass locking barrels located where the pull rods are connected to the bell crank.
I installed Lace Alumitone pickups as I felt the old pickups sounded a bit muddy.
The short pedal rods and the original pickups will come with the guitar. The guitar also comes with a near new hard case.

All mechanical parts were purchased from Michael Yahl at PSG Parts Inc. These improvements have been made over the last 10 months. There are some minor scratches on the right end plate. The handle on the case is wrapped with electrical tape as the rubber was peeling off.

The SS model was designed by Bud Carter when he worked for MSA. The pedal action on this guitar is smooth and positive. This is a beautiful instrument that sounds and plays as well as instruments twice the cost.

I am asking $2200 plus shipping in the lower 48. I would consider a Fender Telecaster as partial trade.

Last edited by Donald Wright on 4 Feb 2016 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Daniel Beachy

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 6:01 pm    

Beautiful guitar! Do you know what the weight is?
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 7:25 pm    

I agree Daniel! Those Alumitones really bring her together.

Augusta, GA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 6:20 am     Msa D10

That finish is a Chevy truck color with 4 coats of clearcoat done in Augusta, Ga.
Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 7:44 am     nice

That is a beautiful guitar. I too would love to know the weight.

Also, I'm no expert but have been looking pretty hard at the classic SS. The back plate has screws for the springs on the e9 neck... I've never seen that before. Also, is that an after market fret marker? I thought these were all silk screened on the Classic SS.

I read MSA was not producing the Classic SS after 1983, but they may have been making one-off guitars, etc.

Does anybody know the scoop on this era MSA? I'm very interested, but the Classic SS often gets confused with other MSA "super sustain" marked guitars like the Classic or Vintage XL.

I'm interested in this guitar, and the weight is my main question everything else is more of a curiosity.

Thanks,
Jon
Donald Wright

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 8:33 am     Msa Ss D10

The guitar weighs 46 lbs and the case 17 lbs, according to a new bathroom scale.
I assumed the guitar was the SS model due to its size and others I've seen. The original pickups have "Super Sustain II" printed on them.
L. M. English

Augusta, GA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 8:54 am     Msa D10

That MSA was a super sustain, and the fretboards are aftermarket. The adjustable return springs are also an aftermarket addition they were available from steel guitar parts on the net. I restored that guitar a while back and sold it to a friend who passed away. I wanted to buy it back, but I waited too long to ask his wife about it, she had just sold it.
L. M. English

Augusta, GA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 9:10 am     Msa D10

Sent you a PM
Donald Wright

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 9:39 am     Msa Ss D10

Thanks Mr. English for the clarification on which model this guitar is. I forgot to mention I added the adjustable return springs from PSG Parts. No drilling was required and I still have the old springs if a buyer wants them.
I also installed a compensator on the RKR E9 neck. When you engage the RKR to lower the second string a half step the first string is lowered approximately a quarter step providing a better harmony to adjacent strings. Currently there is no double stop on this knee lever as I am not of fan of that move, however the RKR also lowers the 9th string a half step and the double stop can easily be brought back into play with this change as the half way point. These guitars are fairly easy to adjust and work on.
I also added a 1" aluminum strap to the knee lever brackets to provide added stability. This can be seen in the pictures of the undercarriage.
Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 11:06 am    

Wow. That's a very nice looking SS.
L. M. English

Augusta, GA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 11:19 am    

COMING HOME TO PAPA!
Daniel Beachy

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 2:34 pm    

That's very lightweight for an older MSA. Very cool. Good for you Mr. English Smile