| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Glenn Frey" of the Eagles R.I.P.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 2:09 pm    

Glenn Frey, founding member of the Eagles passed away Monday January 18th, 2016. The Eagles were one the first big top 40 bands during the 70's to have a Steel Guitar.

Last edited by Nick Reed on 18 Jan 2016 2:42 pm; edited 16 times in total
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 2:23 pm    

Sad news. "The Heat is On" and "Smuggler's Blues" are on my active playlist. RIP Mr. Frey.

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 2:42 pm    

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35349025

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2016-01-20/arthritis-meds-had-role-in-frey-s-death-says-manager

Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 20 Jan 2016 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Hinds

Gallatin, TN USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 3:08 pm    

Sad news.
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 4:17 pm    

A truly gifted singer/songwriter/musician..thanks for sharing your remarkable talents....RIP Glenn Frey...

North Haledon, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 5:40 pm    

Absolute class act and a man driven to give listeners the best product all the time ... recorded or live.

Saw him three times with the Eagles; '81, 2X during the Farewell I Tour and in May 2012 on his 'After Hours' tour promoting his new solo album.

For us steel players, take a listen to Glenn's cover of 'Worried Mind' on the After Hours album. Steeler Greg Leisz nails down what Glenn was looking for. One of my favorite pedal steel soaked songs. You won't be disappointed with this hidden gem. He'll be missed!

Van Buren, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 5:55 pm    

What sad news, Great writer and singer. R.I.P. Glenn Frey ..
Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 6:40 pm    

Incredibly sad news, feels like a passing in the family. In a phrase from another past musical hero of mine, Lowell George, "Yo soy ya moroso" rest well brother Glenn....Stormy
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 7:22 pm    

Damn won't death take a holiday???

GODSPEED GLENN!!!

Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 7:28 pm    

Wow, that is incredibly sad news and without question it marks the end of an era for me. I first saw them in 73 during the Desperado tour at the Capital Theater in NJ and from that moment on, I was hooked on "Country Rock". RIP Glenn.
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 7:57 pm    

Sad news, always loved the Eagles, I knew he was ill since they postponed their Kennedy Center Induction (?), but didn't know it was so serious.

RIP Glenn!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 8:32 pm    

Real bad news. didn't know he was sick either.
Very talented musician and song writer.RIP glenn.
T.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 1:22 am    

Glenn , Don and the gang brought many of us along for the entire ride , it's like losing a family member.

I now reflect back to last summer and paying a price for 3 tickets to see them on tour and how fortunate I was to even get 3 tickets !

RIP Glenn, thx for the influence , songs and journey.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 19 Jan 2016 8:17 am; edited 2 times in total
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 4:00 am    

The Eagles were extra special for me because when I was learning to play regular 6 string guitar back in the early 70s a British friend and I used to busk in The Hauge restaurants and beachfront. More than half of the tunes we'd do were Eagles tunes.

Got to see the band in Amsterdam when they were just starting out and were acoustic only. Saw them again several years later in Rotterdam by which time they were a full-blown electric band.

Glenn's voice was smooth and his rapport with the audience extremely amiable. Besides writing and co-writing tunes, and singing, this was a guy who enjoyed performing.

Condolences to his family and close friends.

Last edited by steve takacs on 19 Jan 2016 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 6:29 am    

Thank you Glenn Frey RIP, and Thanks for the memories in Las Vegas and that black " TEXAS WALKER " star who was there with me. Crying or Very sad
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 9:32 pm    

The Desperado album changed my musical life, especially Doolin Dalton. Saw them three times. once with Linda Ronstadt (for 12.00)

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2016 12:59 am    

Very sad news. A founding member of an iconic progressive country band; singer, keyboard and guitar-player, writer...he made such a huge contribution to what The Eagles became.

Godspeed and RIP, Glenn Frey.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2016 2:36 am    

I just happened to hear my old group on tape from the 70's playing 'Desperado' at some dive. Don't know why it was always a special moment. The raucous audience would get quiet, not so much for us, I think, but for the song.
John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2016 1:45 pm    

This from Rusty Young's Facebook page. I remember seeing POCO and Eagles play together in Summer 1975 at Franklin Stadium in NJ. I remember both bands coming out and doing an acoustic/bluegrassy set. If I am not mistaken Bernie was playing banjo and Rusty was on dobro. Really great...RIP Glenn.

Below Rusty's post, I have included a link regarding a podcast talks about Glenn Frey that was posted on Rusty's FB page.

Poco RustyYoung
January 18 at 6:49pm ·

I met Glenn Frey at the Troubadour in the late sixties. He'd hang out at the bar with J.D. Souther and Jackson Brown talk music and pick up girls. It wasn't long before Glenn and J.D., (Long Branch and Penny Whistle), were opening for Poco at the Troubadour.
After the Eagles took off, I'd run into Glenn every once in a while. We even had the tables turned and opened some shows for them in the seventies.
My favorite memory was running into Glenn at The Record Plant in LA back when they were working on the 'One Of These Nights' album.
Glenn pulled me into a small playback room and put a tape reel on the playback machine.
It was a rough mix of 'One Of These Nights' and it was amazing. I loved it and let him know I thought they'd knocked it out of park. He was very proud and rightly so.
What a great legacy Glenn leaves all to soon.

http://thesoundla.com/2016/01/podcast-pocos-rusty-young-talks-glenn-frey/
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 8:37 am    

Last night CNN did a documentary on the Eagles. Glen did a lot of the talking along with Henley and Walsh. It was very interesting. It lasted 3 1/2 hours.
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 9:08 am    

Harold Dye wrote:
Last night CNN did a documentary on the Eagles. Glen did a lot of the talking along with Henley and Walsh. It was very interesting. It lasted 3 1/2 hours.

Well, yeah Glen did much of the talking - it was Glen's band. Don Henley was also a leader but I suspect the hard calls came to Glen. And note well that Stueart Smith is very careful to say he was a sideman/employee rather than an Eagle.

That documentary is "History of the Eagles" in two parts. It's available on Netflix.