| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal - String or gear driven?
David Black

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 11:01 am    

Volume pedals come in various designs. Most steel players prefer the simple potentiometer (i.e. "pot") pedals due to their superiority in maintaining tonal quality. There are usually two types of these pedals. One type uses a string around a pulley or bushing that is mounted to the pot's shaft. The other type uses a 'gear driven' method to turn the pot. The advantage of this latter type is that you don't have to worry about string breakage at inopportune times. With this in mind which type AND BRAND do you use and why?

Hartford,New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 12:59 pm     Volume pedal - String or gear driven

HI David, I tried in my Goodrich 120 pedal a rack & barrel,I then went back to the string because I though the string was a little faster than the rack.

Satellite Beach, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2016 5:41 pm    

David, I've never tried a "string " operated volume pedal as I originally bought an MSA pedal to go along with my new ( at that time ) MSA guitar. The MSA pedal is gear driven.

Not too long ago, I bought one of Doug Earnest's, Stage One volume pedals, which is also gear driven. It is a fine piece and I'm using it most of the time, now.

So, for me, a gear driven volume pedal works just fine and I don't have to think about string breakage/replacement. I watched a friend have that problem during a performance. Not good.

Maybe I should try a string operated VP, just to see if there is any noticeable difference. Good question.

Doug
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2016 10:01 pm    

I think that string is preferred, to allow the pedal to have a lower profile
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2016 6:45 am    

A gear-driven pot pedal could also have a low profile if the rack was horizontal. Exclamation but the main reason I don't like the gears is that you can feel the bumpity-bump when you move the pedal. On all the pedals I've tried, they use square-cut gears. Helical-cut gears would eliminate or substantually reduce that rough feel.

Of course, If a gear is all you've used, then you would never know the smoothness that you get with a string or tape.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2016 7:10 am    

I have a Goodrich 120 (with an original Allen Bradley pot). But I use a Hilton - no pot and no string or gear.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2016 7:45 am    

I have an old MSA , a Goodrich and a Hilton.
I don't see a noticeable change in tone, enough to bother me, between the pot pedals and the Hilton.

The Hilton is my stage pedal, the MSA is currently on my practice set up, mostly because it attaches to the pedal board.
The Hilton has seen little use, ever since i bought as a spare.

If the gear driven one annoys you or is distracting, try adjusting the tension of the drive stick , on the MSA there is a metal plate you can adjust.

I went to Hilton because of the lack of good pots at the time. I don't need to carry a spare.

Has anyone ever noticed an interaction between stage lights and a Hilton?
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2016 1:20 pm    

I've been using a Hilton for 6 months now and never experience anything negative from stage lighting.
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2016 2:10 pm    

I've used Emmons pot/string pedals almost exclusively for forty years and never broke the string.