| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger picks or not
Jimmy Prince

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 8:21 pm    

I play Banjo now but. being new to lap steel and if i like it and learn it, i will be getting a pedal steel. should I use picks or not on the lap steel to start learning. Thanks

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 9:53 pm    

Since you're used to them from playing banjo, I'd say use 'em. Most steel players do.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 10:22 pm     Why try to reinvent the wheel?

Everyone I ever met, used picks, especially the ones that sound really great to me.

Lap steels are not freaks.......... Played properly, they'll sound super great much better than some of the sounds heard today on pedal steel.
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 9:03 am    

Fingerpicks indeed.

Most finger style players sound pretty crap to be honest the excluded list are a select few.

Naturally you would want to play with your fingers but especially if your long term ambition is pedal steel then it's a no brainer. Fingerpicks for sure.

Also if your end goal is pedal steel then I would recommend just getting one and not go the Lap Steel Guitar route. It will teach you great chops for pedal steel but it can be extremely frustrating if your goal is to play pedals.

So I would recommend just get a pedal steel off eBay.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 9:37 am    

I've sort of forced myself to go backward regarding picks. I've played pedal guitar and dobro since the late 70's, and I always used picks. My opinion is that, once you've developed good tone with finger picks, you will have gotten used to them and will never look back. But, I've been playing 2 roles in my western swing band--piano and C6 and E13 console steel, which is mounted on top of my piano on a 2nd tier keyboard rack. I tried playing piano with my picks on, but it compromised my piano playing very significantly. So, I started working out a couple of hours daily with only a thumb pick. The thumb pick doesn't really get in the way on the piano that much. At first, I didn't think that playing without finger picks would ever work, but I've gotten my calluses so toughened up that I'm actually getting some really good tone out of my bare fingers, and the attack I'm getting is much better than I thought it would be. I did have to jack the highs up on the steel somewhat and increase the volume a tad, and if I don't have to play piano in a song, I still find myself putting the finger picks on, but it is working out much better than I imagined. It also seems as if it helps me to keep my picks on better since I have my calluses. I don't notice that so much when playing steel, but I do when I play dobro. It also doesn't annoy my wife if I sit around watching TV with her and I'm playing one of my laps steels unplugged as long as I don't have my picks on. So, overall, I'm glad I can now play both ways, and it's one less guy I have to pay in the band, and it keeps my wife happy, which is ultimately life's greatest challenge. Smile
Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 10:02 am    

I use a thumb pick but do not use fingerpicks as I finger picked acoustic guitar for 20+ years and it is comfortable for me and I get a good sound.
However it seems to some in here I am a lower form of life and do not deserve to live because of that.
Oh well................. Razz
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 11:04 am    

You can make either way work....The vast majority of pedal, and lap steel players use them. I personally prefer the sound and feel of them. I took me a while to get comfortable on them, but now I wouldn't go back.

What players are you listening too? Do they use them?

Maybe that would help.

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 11:57 am     Finger picks

I dont listen to anybody yet. but I do listen to alot of Classic country music and play it alot as well. (Guitar and Banjo, bass) I think what ill do is try it both ways. I do want to get a pedal steel one day but if iam good and comfortable with the lap steel I might stay wuth it. I dont have a lap steel yet but its being made and iam getting everything ready for when it gets here Smile

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2015 4:33 am    

Stefan Robertson wrote:
Also if your end goal is pedal steel then I would recommend just getting one and not go the Lap Steel Guitar route.

I think lap steel is the hard part and is the best way to get started, learning both hands before the feet and knees.

Quote:
So I would recommend just get a pedal steel off eBay.

And I don't know if I'd go that far. Don't ever get desperate to buy a pedal steel, particularly sight-unseen,
unless you want to do it over and over. Wait for one on the Forum. Keep your focus where it is, on picks and fingers.
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2015 4:00 pm    

Do your homework as much as possible but eBay is fine.

Also you can get some great deals that are also quality.

The forum is a safe place but almost inaccessible for us in the rest of the world when it comes to buying, shipping and tax. If you are in the US the forum is great for purchases.

Also learning Lap Steel Guitar is awesome however ...

Isn't it better to practice on the right equipment rather than something else.
Woodshedding takes hours/months/years. So why not learn on the equipment you actually want to use.

You wouldn't buy a go cart to learn to drive a car. Or would you???

Hmmmm... maybe bad analogy Very Happy

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2015 4:04 pm    

Webb Kline wrote:
... It also doesn't annoy my wife if I sit around watching TV with her and I'm playing one of my laps steels unplugged as long as I don't have my picks on. So, overall, I'm glad I can now play both ways, and it's one less guy I have to pay in the band, and it keeps my wife happy, which is ultimately life's greatest challenge. Smile

True my wife isn't a fan of hours of woodshedding.

Also I remember hearing lots of advice NOT to woodshed with distractions as it affects the way you hear intonation and your ability to improvise through note recognition. The TV is your worst enemy. Then the wife nagging... Laughing