| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Very new to steel
Jimmy Prince

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 12:25 pm    

Hello everyone. this is my first post. I been looking for a starter lap steel for a few weeks now. But it gets confusing for me. not sure what to get. I was looking at the Hadean Labradoodle DLX 2TS Lap Steel by Rondo music because it has a P90 pickup.I heard alot about this pickup form looking back on the forum. or.I placed a bid on a vintage Vitar lap steel with case only because its vintage and might be built better. ebay auction the person wants $195 i put a bid in of $125. Does it really matter if I get a used vintage or the snickerdoddle one? or should I be looking for a fender or a gibson. I dont want to spend alot of money yet until i know ill first like it second be able to learn it. thanks for any help.

London, England
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 1:09 pm    

One thing to consider is that if you buy new, you'll be lucky to get half your money back if you don't get on with it or if you decide to upgrade (OK - we're talking about $99 but if you're on a budget, it all helps).

If you buy used, you should be able to sell for the same price if you're lucky - if you buy vintage you might even be able to sell it for a bit more than you paid for it in a couple of years.

Vintage Gibson and Fender lap steels are amazingly cheap compared to what you would pay for a regular six string of similar vintage (even a student model like a Musicmaster or Lp Junior).

The first lap steel I bought was a Gibson BR9 - you can still pick one up for $300 or less (3 times the cost of that, soon to be worth $50,Labradoodle) - that's a 1940s/50's Gibson with a 40's/50's P90 pickup!!!

I've since bought double, triple and even a quad necked instrument (the bug bit me) but I still play that Gibson 6 stringer a lot! Best guitar bargain I ever bought I reckon.
Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 5:53 pm    

Jimmy, I agree with Jeff if you ever want sell it.
You get so much more with a vintage steel. Any of the Oahu or other brands with the string thru pickup.
I looked at the one you were talking about and made a offer on. The back is coming off. no pickup cover, the knob on the bottom is wrong or it's missing the plate like the one under the chicken head knob is missing and I don't see any screws in the tuners and don't know what's holding them on. Unless that pickup sounds really good I would not give him more than $50. for it. I do like the body shape that's why I looked at it earlier yesterday. You can find good buy's on the forum for sale page. I got a Gibson B9 like Jeff is talking about of here for $250. with a hard vintage case. You can pick up some of the student models Ohau and others names with the string thru pickup in the $200. range. Guitar Center has some good prices on vintage steels. Good luck. The first one should be free because there addicting.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 6:15 pm    

Quote:
The first one should be free because there addicting.

I like that, Dennis! It's so true.
Jimmy Prince

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 6:18 pm    

Thanks I found a Melbert 6 string that Iam going to get. I think it would be better then the rogue or the ebay one I bid on. by the way they turned down my offer of $125 good thing for me I think. I did some reserch on Melbert and everyone seems to love theres. being new I want to get something made in the USA and built good. thanks

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 7:30 pm    

Melbert is a good choice. Good quality at a very reasonable price.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2015 1:05 am    

My opinion is that no matter what steel guitar you start out on, you will sooner or later want a new one...
Perhaps you will want more strings, a quieter pickup, or a finer quality guitar with: better wood, smoother tuning machines, nicer fret markers etc.

So just make sure you get one that is playable, stays in tune, and then string it up with new strings (medium to heavy gauge, not the slinky thin lead guitar strings that clueless manufacturers supply with new steel guitars)

Then pick a tuning **C6 is probably the best place to start** and stick with it long enough to learn the basics of bar technique, and proper intonation...

It's a wonderful world of steel! and more than a lifetime of learning.
Dom