| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Feedback on MSA tone please
Peter Goeden

Aspen Hill, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 10:07 am    

I'd appreciate some feedback on MSA's carbon fiber guitars. I've already conversed with Reece and looked at the website.

Specifically, I'd appreciate anyone's experience of the MSA's TONE (and, yes, I know much of this comes from the fingers). Also feedback on how much they move around (they're light).

Comparisons with something like a Carter might be enlightening.

Thanks
Peter Goeden

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 10:18 am    

I'm referring to the NEW, CARBON FIBER models
Peter Goeden

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 11:22 am    

Gee, I'm talking to myself! Actually, I just wanted to say that I just discovered the June thread on this subject which was quite extensive. The only thing that wasn't addressed was how much the new MSAs move around.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 12:54 pm    

The new MSA I played in St Louis was solid as a rock.

------------------

Bob
intonation help

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 3:24 pm    

Peter, mine is as solid as a rock...no movement at all!! Check out my review http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/008394.html

------------------
MSA Millennium S-12U
Fessy S-12U
Walker Stereo Steel, Hilton Pedal

Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 3:30 pm    

peter, My S12U 8/5 doesn't move any more than my Sho Bud, Sierra or the old MSA.The tone on my Milleniums blow my other guitars away.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 3:54 pm    

Peter, the stability of the new MSA Millennium is fine. It's not as solid/stable as the old, heavy, plywood MSA's (and no other brand was, either). Then again, you wouldn't expect it to be. It is, however, still comparable with most other guitars on the market now.

As far as "tone" goes, that's fine too. Despite what some others will tell you, none of the major manufacturers today make a "bad sounding" guitar.

By the way, what happened to that P/P Emmons that Mike Cass restored for you?

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 15 October 2004 at 05:08 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 9:19 pm    

Peter-I just got a MSA Millenium and I am amazed at the quality first, it is solid to play ,( which for a lightweight I didn't expect).The tone to my ears is great. with the interchangeable pickups available, you can take your choice. I believe it is one of the finest steel guitars I have ever owned..............al..

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 8:58 am    

I've had my Millennium since Feb of 2003 and it's been worked from 3 to 5 nights each week since. I don't know who started the rumor about it's instability and moving around, but that's a lot of crap. The guitar is certainly not as 'rock solid' as a 50 pound axe, but it DOES NOT MOVE AROUND WHEN THE PEDALS ARE MASHED. Just garbage. The tone is as good as any of the 9 guitars I own, including an Emmons P/P and a ShoBud Pro III. The ease of changing into different types of pickups is certainly an asset one should consider. I have 4 different pickups that I can use, but since I installed one of Jerry Wallace's TruTones (wound to 17K) I don't use any of the others including a George L's #66. Super guitar and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and I certainly would not sell mine. My $.02 worth.

fred

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 9:21 am    

Peter, I'm one of those guys that attributes more "tone" to the player than the rig. That being said, I was really interested in hearing the MSA at the 2002 ISGC, and I heard two outstanding players use one on their sets. I was surprised that, to me, the highs and lows seemed a bit out of balance compared to other guitars on the bandstand. Eventually I realized what I was hearing was some sterility or perhaps dullness in the midrange. Several other players mentioned the same thing. Of course this is a totally subjective opinion- I would really need to be able to sit and play one for a while to form an opinion. Perhaps those particular guitars could have used a different midrange amp setting than the players were used to? They are certainly extrememly well built and innovative. I think it's very difficult for those of us with one or two axes to really judge tone without playing a guitar for a while. I had found a steel that I was really happy with until I got another one where the improvement in tone up above the 12th fret was a night-and-day difference. I had to play it myself on stage and in sessions to really appreciate it.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2004 1:17 pm    

I heard Junior Knight play his MSA millenium last night at Ronnies steel guitar show in Hot Springs, and that was one purty soundin guitar, and one great player.
the MSA I had, which was a 70 somethin model had a much too mellow tone for me, but the ones I've heard lately sound great!
Terry

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Peter Goeden

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 6:35 am    

Donny, I hope all is well for you. I still have the Emmons, still love it and plan to keep it. I live between three residences during the week and need a second guitar that can be packed around easily (the Emmons is HEAVY). I've come to the conclusion that I shouldn't afford the MSA so I'm looking at two options: split the Emmons into two seperate cases, or buy a second, lightweight guitar like a Carter. Any comments?
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 7:23 am    

Jr Knights MSA sounded great to me.good overall tonel balance low to high,course JR could play on a 2x4 and make it sound good.its a well made guitar with the player in mind as for weight,simple adjustments and pickup change outs.and its a great looking guitar.i would buy one in a heart beat but, playing once or twice a month i wouldnt live long enough to recoupe the cost.so the wife says.LOL. MHOP
Daniel Vorp

Burlington, NC USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2004 9:23 am    

I've had my Millennium since June of 2003. I use a TrueTone pickup and a Hilton volume pedal going to either a Webb 6-14E or Peavey 112 amplifier, depending upon room size. I have had no negative experience regarding the physical stability of the guitar. It is as stable as any other I have owned or played. The tone is something special. It is uniquely Millennium. The highs are clear, like pinging a crystal. The lows display a great deal of definition and separation. This is the first guitar I have ever owned that will actually sustain a note as long as I want it to. Contrary to an earlier comment regarding the mid range, I have not experienced any sense of sterility or dullness in the mids.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 7:50 am    

Peter, if you're looking for another guitar, the Carter Starter is a nice, but it doesn't come with a hard-shell case, which I consider a must if you're transporting it. There's other guitars (S10's) out there on the used market that might fill the bill, and they would likely come with a case, and be more adaptable than the Carter Starter.

However, you can always take the rods, legs, and pedalboard of your Emmons, and put them in a separate case if the weight is bothersome. So, another small case might be all you're looking for.

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 6:01 pm    

Peter,
I play an SU12 that is from the first run of Milleniums. Tone? Well, with three choices of interchangeable pickups, it is easy to dial in your own sound quickly. My experience is that the E66 is very bright, but the treble knob on the amp takes care of that. The True Tone has "that sound" that I like but can be a pain with its inherent single coil hum. The 12-1 is darker, but a twist of the the bass knob on the amp fixes that.
These are remarkable modern guitars. Mine is one of the lightest, being a single neck with composite legs. It is plenty stable. None of the pedals or knees require enough force for it to be unstable.
Tone? is a function of strings, pickup, hands, amp, efx, and the room one is playing in. This guitar has a wonderful sound, and each string is clearly heard, or separated from the others.

Hope this helps.
Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Randall on 19 October 2004 at 07:04 PM.]