| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Mr. Carl Dixon
Johnny Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 4:38 pm    

I think it is a shame that this great historian of the pedal steel guitar has chosen to not post on this forum, due to recieving a vast amount of hate mail.
I may not have been in agreement with all his posts, or his feelings of some manufacturers, but it was certainly his right to state his views.
I am very saddened that some of our fourmites and possibly some just lurking here could be so small as to send hate mail to anyone expressing their views on a public forum.
This great Christian gentleman and his un-selfish sharing of his great knowlege will be greatly missed by many.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 5:21 pm    

well Johnny I agree. Carl was posting over on the CSGF for a while, but I hadn't seen him over there in a couple of weeks.
Hope he's ok.
Terry

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 5:21 pm    

I Miss Carl on this forum for Sure.
I'm sure I've pissed a few folks as being a "Young know-it-all" type A Character as I think Jim Phelps hates me right now as we speak..ha....
But I'm real good a turning the other cheek and moving on; and continue to offer as much(or)little as I have learned and if that helps someone>Great> or if it makes someone just hate me and send hate mail and call me aweful names or spread bad words about me to others>so be it "I'm fine".

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebelâ„¢ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@austin.rr.com

Jackie Anderson

Scarborough, ME
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 5:23 pm    

I have to agree: it's hard to imagine anyone hating Carl, even if they disagreed with his opinions, so sincerely were they expressed. His contributions are soooo sorely missed -- but I would not ask him to come back if it meant that he had to suffer fools' responses for making them. Be well, Carl!
Jackie Anderson

Scarborough, ME
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 5:26 pm    

It's hard to imagine anyone hating you, either, Ricky, even if you are a young know it all -- most of us know less, anyway, and can definitely profit from whatever you offer. Besides, you're usually a lot of fun to have around, and you post great photos!
Johnny Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 5:28 pm    

Ricky,I have noticed that you are opinionated, and I think that is great. People like me need professional opinions.
Do you recieve a lot of hate mail?
I cannot imagine what people would hope to gain by sending such junk.
Why can't they air it on the forum so everyone can see their stupidity?
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 6:14 pm    

I also miss reading the very informative posts by Mr. Carl & do wish he would please reconsider his decision..It is sometimes hard to take but if you post on this Steel Forum much you will get flamed once in a while.As Ricky says above:"But I'm real good a turning the other cheek and moving on; and continue to offer as much(or)little as I have learned and if that helps someone>Great>" ( part of his quote )..
We all sometimes get our pride & our feelings hurt & it is hard to take BUT we can go on..Ron
Franklin

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 6:48 pm    

I miss Carl's take on various subjects. I hope he comes back soon. A true prince if there ever was one.....Paul
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 7:17 pm    

Me too, Paul.

He'll be back though.
-John

------------------
www.ottawajazz.com
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 7:35 pm    

Disagreeing with someone on the forum does not give anyone license for personal attacks.
I will defend anyones right on this forum to express their opinions including Carl's. I've had and still do have differences of opinion with prominent Nashville players. I've also heard some dispariging remarks about the forum in general from prominent players. Thats ashame because I like to feel that I can learn even from people who I disagree with. It is to Paul Franklin and Buddy Emmon's tribute that they get on here and answer our trivial amateur questions half the time, but they do! We are amatuers in comparison but everyone has something to offer. Steel guitar is a VERY difficult instrument when played in its advanced form.
Anything that we can do to help eachother makes sense. I'll listen to Carl anytime, and Ricky too!

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 12 October 2004 at 08:36 PM.]

Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 8:07 pm    

Maybe if we all offer to convert...

-Travis
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 8:27 pm    

I miss Carl too, maybe I'll send him an email and ask him to think about coming back.....maybe we all should do that?

Ricky, I don't hate you at all! Not even a little bit, really! I don't hate anyone. I'm very sorry I made you feel that way. In fact I have a great deal of respect and admiration for your talent and knowledge both, as I think we all do. I was even drooling over your S.S. Hawaiian steels just yesterday. Might sell one of my guitars to get one. I know which post you're referring to, and believe it or not, I was serious when I said "if Ricky says so, that's good enough for me".....not my exact words...but I wasn't being sarcastic. Maybe it's hard to know serious from sarcastic sometimes on this Forum, that's understandable.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 12 October 2004 at 10:11 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 9:00 pm    

Many of Carl's postings were highly technical and very informative,. and I am sorry that he is not posting here on the Forum. He is a legend himself.

Ricky has contributed many excellent posts to this forum, as has so many others.

Let's not let the few spoil it for the rest of us........al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 9:06 pm    

Jim; I was somewhat kidingly takin' a swipe at ya when I said "I think Jim Phelps hates me right now as we speak"...as per the little smiley and wink faces at the end of that phrase. Really Jim; I really don't think you or anyone hates me, and I meant to say in that sentence that I'm sure someone has to hate me with all the stuff I say on here with what I may know or learned and of course opinionated about. But No I haven't gotten any hate mail and Jim you are very knowledgable and Very well respected in my Book; as I consider you a very bright person and finding myself reading most everything you have to say man...Your cool.
Jim Thanks for the kind words on the SS HAWAIIAN and there were only two made and we will not be making any in the future; but I can listen to your offer on my own personal SS HAWAIIAN as it's just sitting there and not being played and I probably won't play it.
Carl if your out there; just come on back, we love ya man....Your explanations and knowlege of the mechanics of the Pedal Steel guitar and it's history is WONDERFUL and I for one; love reading your insight and knowledge and enthusiasm for OUR instrument.
Ricky
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 2:36 am    

I miss Carl here also. Very much so.
And can atrtribute much of my progesss on this instrument to his generous assistance.

I also can say RIcky has been instrumental in my getting my steel in the playable condition it is in.
When it comes to Sho-Bud's, he is a "know it all", and that I think is a GREAT thing. No matter his age!

Both men have done their homework, regardless of age bracket.

While not every one can agree with every thing each has ever said here, I think their advice has been more then overwelmingly accurate and positive.

There is opinion and there is fact, and some times they overlap and sometimes not.
Some times it is simply your point of reference that makes a "fact" invalid for the observer.

I never was offended by Carl's wearing his philosophy on his sleave,
because Carl never tried to convert me to his way, only offered it.

I think there was a bit of a pig pile on him awhile back, and he got defensive, and it snowballed, and that is a crying shame IMHO.

I certainly never said anything I thought would harm him, even if I disgreeed on some issues.
Anyone who did send him hate mail, or the like, I AM in disagreement with.

It is sad our opinionated, but good hearted, friend Carl felt driven from this forum.
He gave so much to so many.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 4:00 am    

There is a lot of valuable information that is so freely given on this forum. Certainly Carl and Ricky shine in this area.

Many people voice their appreciation for this, and I can imagine the thousands of people who benefit without posting a response.

Carl has left and returned in the past.

I hope history repeats itself.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 4:07 am    

Carl Dixon is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met via the web. He has been there for me professionally and personally when needed. I recently sent him an email thanking him for his friendship. Anyone who is offended by Carl should seek help, for they have to be one very unhappy soul. Anyone who is offended by what I have said, take note: THIS IS NOT IMHO. IT IS FACT. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also stick by Ricky, who offers a wealth of information to the forum.........JD
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 4:48 am    

Good one Johnny, i miss Carl too
the love of Musik & the Steel is what keeps us all together here
Thank Goodness, i have yet to seen really any hate here.
disagreements yes. (Nuthin' wrong w: that)
Respect, Sincerity, Intelligence, & Humor seem to maintain this asylum
Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 4:59 am    

I have been in contact with Carl and he is doing fine. He is busy with his Christian chat room and other things. He did receive some hate mail directly from one of the forumites here. This is totally uncalled for and of all people, Carl did not deserve that kind of aggressive behavior from anyone. He has a wealth of knowledge regarding the steel guitar and it is a shame that we have some kook attacking him. Carl felt that it was best to keep off of the forum rather than get any further hate mail. I don't know if he will come back or not. I sure hope so.
We could all benefit by his knowledge.
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 5:15 am    

BOYS, i was sure agravated with RICKY!!when he told me my sho-bud was a pc. of junk!!ha ha , but since i've welded all solid on the hex shafts,i know he would approve now!!no more movement!!I had my grandson with water hose to keep from burning it up.I gotta stop, laughing to hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
farris
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 5:15 am    

Don't hide your light as the Book says Carl. Count it all joy.

It's a forum. There are agreements and disagreements. In the end there is generally a good sharing of knowledge.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 5:22 am    

Why anyone would resort to hate-mail over opinions on steel guitars is a complete mystery to me. Over the years I have found that the best way to counter stupid a##holes is to completely ignore them, not letting them get to you at all. Sure drives them mad, and saves me a lot of aggravation. ,As the saying goes, "The best revenge is living well".

I think Jim Phelps' idea about mailing Carl to let him know that his insights as well as his opinions are missed is a great one. That's my opionion, and I don't see any reason to be humble about it. I've sent mine; now it's your turn. And yours. And yours...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 7:11 am    

Doug,
I also contacted Carl and told him how much he was missed. He will have to have a very serious change of heart to return to this forum. BTW, he has also withdrawn from posting on the Christian Steel Guitar Bulletin Board. That forum has taken a very sharp turn to the left of late and he has been flamed there also. He sort of expected to get flamed by the liberals on this forum, but not on a forum that calls itself "Christian". What a loss of a very fine Christian man and a very knowledgeable steel player also.
Erv
Glyn Bone

Halifax.Nova Scotia. Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 7:25 am    

And my sentiments are in accord with all of the above, although I am just a newbie Mr. Dixon was always one of the first to give me an answer to a question...I too have e-mailed him and sincerely hope that he does consider returning to the `family`...I was in the police force for many years and had to endure similar unkind words and remarks as has Carl..I don`t consider myself as a `strong` person but I had to become so to be able to endure and do the job I loved..I believe that Carl is a very strong person and he WILL endure...and hopefully come back to us. The more positive e-mails he gets the better..it may be just what he needs at this time...the POSITIVE SUPPORT from all his good friends in here, so, to quote my lovely wife....." **** and get off the pot" get those e-mails out to Carl and let him know we want him back.
I am proud to `belong` to this family of like minded gentry and appreciate the assistance and advice of the many who have given it.( as well as the humour in here)

( me gettin` aff a me soap-box...cannae stand hieghts anyhoo )

Glyndwr.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 7:54 am    

What everyone should keep firmly in mind is to not write anything in forum posts or e-mails that they would'nt want to appear in a web search later when they are applying for a license or a job or anything else where one's anti-this-or-that sentiment could be cause for rejection. There have been a number of reports lately of jobs being denied (i.e. job candidates rejected) due to what was found by doing a simple Google search on the applicant's name.

Just an Additional note to the normal/customary obligations to be respectful in a civilized society.

For a treat do a Google or Yahoo search on your own name. Try it without quotes and then in quotes. You might be surprised at what ya find.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 13 October 2004 at 08:56 AM.]