| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  history of this guitar company
Sandy Carter

Edmonds, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 1:34 pm    

I have a "Texan" pedal steel from the 60's. Could anyone tell me something about this company, or where I could research it? Thanks, Sandy
Gerald Pierce

Maydelle, Republic of Texas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 2:44 pm    

I bought a Texan 10-string in 1970 from the man who made them. I picked it up at his home in Mesquite, Tx. I have tried, but can't recall his name. I recently spoke with Reese Anderson about an old MSA and asked him if he knew the name of the man who made the Texan guitars. He couldn't remember either, but did say that he had heard that the gentleman had passed away. He told me he could ask someone who might remember the name, but I told him that wasn't necessary, I was just curious. I'm not sure how many Texan guitars were built, but I was very impressed at the build quality of the guitar. Wish I had it back. It looked like the one that recently sold on ebay. You can see it here>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=621&item=3752908230&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I
thought at first it might have been the one I owned (mine had the walnut finish too), but after looking at an old photo of mine, I could tell by the pattern in the walnut that it wasn't. I'd have bid on it had it been my old guitar. It sold for $610.00. I paid $525.00 for mine in like new condition, with the case (it was the builder's demo guitar).
Gerald Pierce

Maydelle, Republic of Texas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 2:58 pm    

P.S. - I recently posted a question about the maker of Texan guitars on the forum and got no replies, which leads me to believe that there aren't many out there.
Sandy Carter

Edmonds, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 3:16 pm    

Thank you Mr.Pierce! I bought the one on e-bay. Your comments are encouraging! Sandy