| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6th/E9th or E9th/C6th
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 5:08 am    

Has anyone ever considered reversing their necks on the PSG and put the C6th on top and the E9th on Bottom? Reason I ask, is as you (I) get older and the arthritis sets in it is much harder to do the palm/finger harmonics with the top neck in the way.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 5:39 am    

I think the great Curly Chalker had his guitars set up that way. Worked for him!!!!
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 8:43 am    

I know of two people that have done this in the past, myself being one of the two. The other was a picker (Steve Skogquist) that got me started on pedal steel many years ago.

Steve had a Sho Bud Pro III with the necks reversed. When I ordered my Pro II I had it setup the same way. Played that setup for several years until I bought a used Emmons p/p and never found the time to change it around so learned to adapt to the more standard setup with E9th on the top neck.

I lost track of Steve after several moves so no clue as to if he is still playing and what his setup is.

I think there were some advantages to the reversed setup in my opinion. Bar control always felt more accurate. Also I think learning right hand control was easier. It could be because I am left handed so there could be other factor that come to play as well.

[This message was edited by Robert Parent on 13 October 2004 at 09:49 AM.]

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 8:48 am    

I've owned six different pedal steels so far, on three of them the E9 neck was/is the inside neck. Two of them are triple necks, the third one was a D9 Sho Bud permanent. Personally, it never mattered to me, the guitars just happened to be that way.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2004 11:42 am    

Jim Cohen once pointed out that a natural advantage to having C6 on the inside neck is that when you shift your body back to play it you can keep up with your feet on the pedals out of the bottom of your eye. this of course is much less important on E9, with its fewer pedals. If you mostly play only E9, then this is not important, but then, maybe you need a single neck E9, or a uni.

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 13 October 2004 at 12:43 PM.]