| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Herby Wallace backing up Duane Dee on Ray Price Tribute CD
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2015 9:18 am    

The 2002 CD "Duane Dee presents a Tribute to Ray Price" is probably a little tough to find these days but I thought I'd mention it as a textbook example of how to back up a singer. The late great Herby Wallace plays backup steel for Duane on 18 classic Ray Price tunes (lots of shuffles). For anyone who was used to seeing Herby turn in some virtuoso instrumental performances at steel shows, this is a whole different side of his playing. Nothing flashy or jaw-dropping here but a great example by a real pro of how to put it all together with intros, fills, and breaks.
Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2015 10:06 pm    

Jeff,
You are correct. Aside from all of the Four Wheel Drive / My Window Faces The South numbers Herby played so well, he was a master behind a singer. Many years ago I saw Herby with Ben Brogdon playing at a theater in Pigeon Forge. I probably saw Herby play a hundred times, but that night, he was backing up singers and it was some of the prettiest music I ever heard him play.

The Duane Dee CD is excellent. By the way, Duane enjoyed success as a regional entertainer years ago, and working in Duane's band was Herby's first road job.

Best regards,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2015 11:50 pm    

Herby was a consummate pro musician, and I dare say he made far more money as a performer playing beautiful short solos and fills behind singers than he ever did burning down Four Wheel Drive.

His performances at ISGC backing Con Hunley... one of my all-time favorite singers... were heart rendering. What a combination of talent!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2015 5:35 am    

Thanks for the added info, guys.
This was the first time I'd heard Duane Dee, Craig...he's got a great voice for these tunes - sort of a combination of Ray Price and Elvis.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2015 6:35 am    

I have that CD. Got it from our bass player, who got it from Duane Dee. Duane lives (or used to live) just south of me in Bradenton Florida.

Since it was brought up I'll have to get it out and play it again.
Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2015 7:03 am    

Herb Steiner,
Herby often mentioned that Con Hunley was one of his favorite singers. Con lived near Herby and they worked together in the Pigeon Forge area for several years. He is an excellent vocalist and we have some of his tunes on the air. I especially enjoy "That's All That Matters".

Another great singer, in my opinion is Curtis Potter. Speaking of Texas talent, do you get to see Jr. Pruneda these days?

Jack Stoner,
Be careful with that CD, it may become addictive.

Best to all,
Craig

Last edited by Craig Baker on 6 Dec 2015 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2015 8:36 am    

[quote="Craig Baker"]Herb Steiner,
Herby often mentioned that Con Hunley was one of his favorite singers. Con lived near Herby and they worked together in the Pigeon Forge area for several years. He is an excellent vocalist and we have some of his tunes on the air. I especially enjoy "That's All That Matters".

Con Hunley is one of the greatest singers in country music. He doesn't work a lot anymore, just an ocassionally show. He's got a very successful family business. I worked with him in Knoxville a few weeks ago. He can put so much in a song. Here's a video of Herby with him. Herby lived in Sevierville, TN and Con lives in Knoxville, TN. We've all been friends for a long time.

http://youtu.be/_Qkwl7TquDw

RC
J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2015 9:38 pm     Herby Wallace

That is a great CD. I bought it in Pigeon Forge several years ago. I had the privilege to talk with Herbie many times when he had his store open. Once bought a beautiful Sho-Bud Pro 3 D10 and several CD's & etc. there. He was one of the finest players I ever heard, also a gentleman to the core. I'm never in Sevierville Tenn. that I don't think about Herbie.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 7:00 am    

I had the good fortune of Herby backing me when I sang "Six Days of the Road" at a three day seminar Scotty and Herby put on in Norway in the 1980s.

He was watching me with this Cheshire cat-like grin, probably thinking: "This guy can't sing but that's not stopping him.

Great seminar and full of fond memories of both Scotty, Herby and a boatload of Scandinavian steel guitarists.

Funny thing is right now, for the umpteenth time, I'm working through Herby's E9th HWP 300. If you don't have any of his many courses, give them a try. stevet