| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen Nonpedal Steel: 10 String; One-of-a-Kind!
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 6:52 pm    

Here are pix of my 10 string (currently C6) MULLEN nonpedal steel. I have never seen a nonpedal Mullen guitar before and I sent the pix to Mullen and they don't recall ever building one like it! This leads me to wonder whether perhaps someone made this by cutting down a Mullen PSG, as it certainly does look like the neck of a PSG (except the body seems too thin for a PSG). There's nothing sloppy about it at all; it looks totally professionally made, as though Mullen could well have done it and just can't recall (is that possible?) Anyway, if anyone knows the history of this axe, please post it. I think I've owned it for between 10-15 years, except for a brief sale and repurchase to someone else here in Philly who owned it for a few years. But I sure can't remember from whom I bought it the first time.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 10:30 pm    

Hi Jim, I recognize that guitar as being built for me by Del Mullen as a practice board while I was on tour with "the Whites" sometime around 1990.
It was sold to a fella during the ISGC in St.Louis in 2000 or 2001.
I had it tuned to C6th with a D on the first string and D on the 10th string.
I do believe it is a one of a kind. Nice find!😊
Doug,
The best I can recall, the guitar is very rich and fat sounding with the stock Mullen single coil pick up.

Last edited by Tommy White on 23 Nov 2015 7:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 10:42 pm    

That's pretty cool, Jim. Looks like a Wallace TT pickup on it. How does it sound?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 10:20 am    

Tommy, thanks for solving the mystery! I guess the value of this axe just went up. Smile

Since I can't recall when or where I bought it, heck, maybe I was the guy who bought it directly from you at the ISGC back in 2000-01...? I think I would remember buying a guitar from you, but I'm often surprised at the things I can't remember (and so is my wife)!

Doug, to my ears, it sounds a lot more like a pedal steel than any lap/nonpedal steel I've played or heard. It has that 'solid' PSG tone, rather than the 'zingy' tone of a lap/nonpedal guitar, if that makes sense.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 4:54 pm    

Jim, I know what you mean about not remembering who you bought a guitar from or what you did with a guitar. One time I saw a local guy playing a Sho-Bud Lloyd Green and I told him that I used to have one just like it. He said, "Yeah... this is it. I bought it from you!" I had no recollection of selling that guitar or of that guy. And I still don't!
Lee Gillespie

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 5:06 am     Lap 10 string

Son of a gun.... I am in the middle of building a 10 string for my self.... and would you believe .... its about the same color blue and the one Del built. Oh well great minds think alike..(ha ha ).Lee