| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guyatone and a Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth
Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2015 8:26 pm    

Hey Folks,
It's been a long time since I posted anything. I read the forums two three times a week. Great stuff everyone. Keep it up!

I hope you find this interesting, or at least amusing.

Guyatone and a Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbc0tuDAAvI
Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2015 7:24 am    

Ok, you need to post more.
That was interesting..........loved it. Mr. Green
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2015 12:24 pm    

Thank you Mike, that is great!
Just one question: There seems to be a lot of latency.
Do you think that will affect the timing whilst playing?
Michael James

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2015 1:16 pm    

Good question. There isn't any detectable latency with the GR-55. It has really fast tracking. Even the pitch bends like when I played the trombone sound tracks perfectly.
The perceived latency is an audio and video syncing issue. I record the audio separate from the video. If I wasn't so lazy I could go through the whole video and re-align it to perfection. Also the video is recordid in HD. If your computer is to slow you may also have audio and video syncing issues.
Thank you for bringing this up!
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2015 3:12 am    

I played Roland synthesizer through a Danelectro Silvertone 1457 (my long-time favorite guitar) for about 5 years (c.a. 1998-2003) and had a ball. I played the 1457 output through one amp and the synthesizer through another amp that could handle serious bass register and tones, and could play guitar and synth together or selectively; A ball to play the guitar and B3 parts to such songs as Green Onions. I played a lot of slide guitar using orchestra synthesizer banks, such as the Beatles Strawberry Fields, and orchestration for songs by such groups as Pink Floyd. Slide gave the portamento effects that were particularly effective for orchestra strings. I didn't have a spare synth pickup for my steel, and quit gigging before I got around to getting one. I am sure that a synthesizer would be quite easy to learn and would work wonders on a steel guitar, especially with newer fast tracking synths. My Roland was an older model that did indeed have some latency, but you get used to that in a rather short time, and time your picking to lead the latency; No problem at all for someone who can time their picking accurately ahead of the beat, and I don't think that is very difficult to learn with some woodshedding; It seems to fall right into place.

Funny story: Someone at a bar I played at a lot found a trumpet that had been run over by something, a real mess. There was a popular elderly patron at the bar that couldn't play any instrument; But I would have him take that beat up trumpet and act like he was playing it on stage while I played trumpet parts in a mannerism that I wouldn't be noticed. The audience was thrilled to see the popular patron wail on that old beat up trumpet!

TONS of fun. I'm glad to see someone do it on steel guitar. The auto-tune settings / banks allow keyboard playing that sounds authentic, ...such as B3 and piano. I'd imagine that a number of steelers have done it too ...it's just too obvious and opportune for a steeler that has played synth through a guitar. You go for it, Michael ...and keep us up on your progress. I hope you've started something that other steelers will try out and get hooked on.

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus
Michael James

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2015 4:26 am    

Nice post! Thanks!

Years ago I had the GR-33. The GR-33 had some latency. I eventually sold it and thought my days of guitar synth were over as I wasn't willing to deal with the latency and poor tracking.
A couple of years ago I bought the Godin Multiac nylon string guitar that come stock with a built in 13 pin synth pickup. A friend of mine owned the GR-55 and I asked him if I could borrow it to try it out with my Godin.
I was blown away at how fast and accurate the tracking was and how great the sounds are. I pulled out my credit card and bought one that day.
I mostly use the GR-55 with guitar in duos. What I do is I model the 5th and 6th strings an octave down to a Fender Jazz bass, then I blend it with the guitars pickup. I can fill the room with rich full bass while also holding down the chords at the same time. Here's a video of me playing in that style. I'm not using the synth but you'll get the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha2XIATmyCM
Thanks again for posting!
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2015 9:32 am    

Michael-
I lost track of the topic where you posted your CMaj11 tuning
Search can't find it
Any links?

thanks

Jay
Michael James

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2015 1:58 pm    

Hi Jay,
I deleted all the videos and threads. I realized that I made the videos a bit prematurely. As time went on many of my original concepts of the tuning had changed. They changed so much that I felt the original videos didn't do the tuning justice. On top of that my technique was seriously lacking which also made it impossible for me demonstrate some of the more advanced concepts. I also realized I had a lot to learn with the tuning.
That was a couple of years ago. A lot has changed. I play for many hours every day and I gig with a couple of bands now. My technique is 100x better, but still a work in progress. I'm also now very comfortable with the fret board lay out.
I have been working on and off on the structure of another video. I hope to release it soon.
Thanks for asking.
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 12:21 pm    

Bump for the next gen of your tuning Michael
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 12:49 pm    

Trombone out of a steel guitar! A-freaking-mazing!

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 9:25 pm    

Thank for the encouragement. Unfortunately there really isn't much interest for the Cma11 tuning. If anyone wants the PDF files I have on the tuning that shows how to best utilize it I would be more than glad to send them. Just message me though the forum.
Thanks for your interest.
mj