| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New preamp tubes in Twin Reverb
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 9:30 pm    

I just replaced 4 of 6 preamp tubes in my Twin and it sure sounds better. It was a much bigger improvement that I expected.

The old tubes were Electro Harmonix Russian made, about $15 or 20 each as I recall. They were new when installed about a year and a half ago. The new tubes are also Russian made, but sold as being a better quality. They cost about $45 each.

Before the swap the Twin had a gritty quality that I didn't care for. That is now gone. The amp sounds wonderful.

The specific new tubes are as follows:

V2: TAD 7025

V3: Genalex: Gold Lion 12AT7/ECC81

V4: TAD 7025

V6: Genalex: Gold Lion 12AT7/ECC81 (with matched and balanced option, $5 extra.)

I'm no expert on tubes, but these tubes really made a difference. I got these tubes from the Tube Store in Canada.

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 11:49 pm    

I haven't used TAD preamp tubes but they sure have some great sounding EL84s.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 12:07 am    

I installed the tubes one at a time starting with V6. I played a bit after each tube was installed. I noticed an improvement immediately on installing V6. That's the Phase Inverter tube, whatever that means. Apparently it's important.

With each tube installed the amp kept getting a little bit better. Once they were all installed I found I just kept wanting to play some more.

PS: I didn't change V1 because of cost, and because that tube is for the normal channel, which I use but not for PSG, so I really don't care much about it.

And I didn't change V5 because of cost, and because that tube is for the tremolo circuit which I never use.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 5:03 am    

www.300guitars.com/articles/article-demystifying-the-phase-inverter/
It does what it says, but why you need one requires explanation.
Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 7:59 am    

TAD tubes are made in China at the same factory that Ruby tubes are made in. They are much better than the new sensor EH or JJ tubes. Gold lion is a Russian company which I heard stopped making audio tubes a few years back. They had a great reputation.

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 7:45 pm    

I believe New Sensor/Electro Harmonix owns the Gold Lion brand and the Gold Lion tubes were made by them in the Sovtek factory. They have the same squarish mica spacers as the Sovteks but look like they have gold pins and a ribbed long plate. I'd be curious to see it they had the usual Russian flying-saucer getter or if they use a halo or square type.
James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 2:46 am    

Thanks for sharing - I was under the impression that the preamp tubes dont just degrade, they fail. Ive been focused on the power tubes for degrading performance. I guess I need to just consider a full re-tube at some point, as a learning experience.
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 7:46 pm     preferred series 7025

I really like the preferred series 7025 from the tube store, and with tad 7025 at $50 the preferred series is half that price and they sound great
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 8:25 pm    

A little topic drift: The Tube Store is running a Black Friday sale on Preferred Series 6L6 power tubes. The sale price is less than $17 each. Regular price is about $28 each. I'm thinking I might buy a set because of the price even though I don't need them right now. Anyone have experience with these power tubes? The TAD short bottle 6L6s had been recommended by the guy that recapped my Twin, but I don't see them on sale.

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 1:11 am    

In my experience both preamp and power tubes have a functional life and a tonal life. As they get more and more time on them they start to sound duller, especially in the highs. The tonal degradation happens well before the tubes fail catastrophically in most cases.
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 10:44 am    

Paul to awnser your question the preferred series tubes have a very superb tone to them they are no "Johnny come lately"tubes.Buy you a quad you won't regret it.