| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jbl K-130 ?
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 8:47 pm    

Just wondering if this speaker 15" would be a good speaker for steel? priced at $150,00,, im thinking of buying it. I don't have any experience with JBLs
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 9:22 pm    

It would be a wonderful speaker if it's in good condition. Gently push the cone in with your hands and see if it slides smoothly with no rubbing or scraping sounds. If it passes that test, put an ohm meter on the terminals to make sure it isn't dead. For the 8 ohm speaker you should get a reading of about 5.8 to 6.2. It won't read 8 ohms for an 8 ohms speaker. I don't know why; that's just how it is. Then look on the back side of the cone for a 5 digit number. This is different than the serial number on the magnet assembly. This number is stamped right on the paper cone. If the number is 21057, then that's an original JBL cone, or an original JBL recone, which is equally good. Original cone JBLs are more valuable because most people believe they sound better. In my very limited experience, that is true.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 18 Nov 2015 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 11:05 pm    

Hi Richard

Paul is right on as to everything he stated. I just want to throw in one extra.

An original JBL K 130 will only handle a maximum of 200 watts so keep that in mind for whatever application you are using it for.

If its been reconed, chances are that it now has different voice coil material which is heavier and the speaker will handle more power.

Even if they have been reconed, they are still a terrific sounding speaker if the work was done properly. I have 8 ohm reconed K 130's in all of my 15" amp setups.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 12:33 am    

You also have to accept that a K130 weighs about 15 pounds, which is almost double what a neo 15 weighs.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 3:38 pm    

i have a nashville 400 with a black widow and my friend has a nashville 400 with a k130...
mine sounds good.
his sounds sweeter.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 3:27 am    

I put a 4 ohm JBL K-130 in a Twin Reverb. Made a big difference for steel.

When I got an Eminence EPS-15C and the first time I tried it, it reminded me of the K-130.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 2:27 pm    

Is there a better speaker for steel than a K130? Isn't that the benchmark?

B
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 8:39 am    

Brad Sarno wrote:

B

as much as i love the old jbl stuff, i think that the altec 418b is probably the best all around 15" speaker ever made for both super clean guitar and electric bass at low-moderate vol levels. problem is that they are getting so old now that its really hard to find an original one that has no issues.

reconed with other kits...they sound awful...as does a jbl with a non original cone kit.
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 7:49 am    

I have one in a Twin. I think it's an all around great setup. Tom Fox biased mine so that channel 1 is for steel & channel 2 is for Tele. He also made both channels active reverb and you can't beat the spring reverb that comes in those older Fender Twin's! I can add that I have had a lot of amps and sold lots of amps. But the Twin is a keeper, regardless it weighs more than I do.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 10:05 am    

Quote:
i think that the altec 418b is probably the best all around 15" speaker ever made for both super clean guitar and electric bass at low-moderate vol levels. problem is that they are getting so old now that its really hard to find an original one that has no issues.

reconed with other kits...they sound awful...as does a jbl with a non original cone kit.

Bill, is that true for the 418b recones from Great Plains Audio? It's owned and operated by ex-Altec employees and and claim that their recones are true to the old specs......I've heard a few and thought they sounded fine. I'm also an Altec fan! Very Happy
Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 1:33 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:

i've heard/played a hemp re-cone D130 that sounded nice! under a Dumble...

in any case, i've been wanting to get a 15" extension cab for my Vibrolux for awhile now, was thinking of a D130, but i'll have to keep my eyes open for an Altec, i like clean!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 3:28 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
Brad Sarno wrote:

B

as much as i love the old jbl stuff, i think that the altec 418b is probably the best all around 15" speaker ever made for both super clean guitar and electric bass at low-moderate vol levels. problem is that they are getting so old now that its really hard to find an original one that has no issues.

I had one in perfect condition in a cabinet and I had a hard time selling it here. I think I sold it in the can formless than 200. A little too much bottom end for me, I'll stick with the 12" Altec 417-8H.

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 5:31 pm    

i have a pair of the 417 12" altecs that i bought a long time ago. need to find the right cabinets to put them in. in a 15" the 418 is beautiful sounding and the 417 in the 12" is just as nice.

in regards to the reconing...has to be done with parts that are either NOS or exact replicas. for a time, EV owned the altec name i believe. you could get your speaker guy to use the original altec paper and then use a more powerful voice coil they were making at the time. dont even know if they still own the altec name.

hopefully someone is reconing them correctly now. i just dont know for sure.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 11:06 pm    

Bill, this is the place for Altec recones:
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 5:37 pm    

Brad Sarno wrote:

Not to me! I'll take the old Electro-Voice SRO series for pedal steel, anyday. Cool