| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacement screw (post?) for Grover Tuner on Sho~Bud
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 5:27 pm    

Hey ya'll,

Quick and (hopefully) simple question here... I noticed today on my new/old Super Pro that the tuning machine for the 1st string on the E9 neck is missing the little screw/post that keeps the actual machine level to the headstock, etc... I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology but that's the best I've got.

Anyways, no tuning issues or anything, it just seems to have worked itself loose (and lost) at some point in its life and I'd like to replace it straight away and be done with it. I've included a photo where you can see the missing piece on the 1st string's tuner...

Anyone know the part that I'm searching for and if it's available at a hardware store, or know where I can order one from?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 5:34 pm    

Remove one from another tuner and take a picture... that's going to help us a lot. Probably 4/40x1/2 PHMS.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 5:54 pm    

or try taking one of the screws into an ace hardware and see if they've got one. i'd try that first.
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 6:00 pm    

That was my next move, but a local luthier mentioned these might not be threaded screws and more of a riveted post, so I didn't want to go removing that which I do not understand. If it's safe to do so, I'll grab one from the C6 neck and hit Home Depot tomorrow... Just the beginning of my crash course in Sho~Bud parts and mechanics, I'm sure!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 6:43 pm    

Good luck finding a screw that size at a hardware store. Better bet would be a music store if there's one in your area. Grovers are common on guitars. Any music store with a repair department ought to have what you need in their spare parts bin....or Michael Yahl's steel guitar parts here on the forum.

I think Grovers have a lifetime guarantee and they'd probably send you a screw if you can wait it out.

I have a stash of itty bitty screws so if you can't find something, let me know and I'll see if I can dig one up.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 6 Nov 2015 2:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 6:45 pm    

Thankee Kindly Jerry - yes, it seems like it should be easy to replace but looks can be deceiving. I'm gigging the Bud tonight but have all day tomorrow to mess around with it, so hopefully there's an easy local solution...
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 6:55 pm    

They are screws, not studs. The stock screws would have been sheet metal type screws, not machine screws. Standard hardware store stuff. Just pop one out and take it in for a match, easy peasy Winking
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 7:08 pm     Replacemeny screw for Grover key head on showbud steel

That screw looks like a self tapping screw used to put Grovers on my old MSA steel. These screws cuts its own threads into the Alumnium key head as installed. They are hardened. Check the hole, Someone may have broke the head off the screw and the and the screw body is still in the hole. If that has been done it will be hard to get that broken screw out. If it is a hardened screw it cannot be drilled and Easy Outed. If you need help getting it out E-mail me.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 7:25 pm    

Sorry, yes I see you're looking for the mounting screw that holds the machine to the keyhead. I was thinking it is the button screw you need. Still, itty bitty....don't know the size, trial and error...match up with one from another machine as stated above. I think a guitar repair shop might have one lying around somewhere, yet.
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2015 12:35 pm    

Follow up, and a pretty easy solution... ended up picking up a few sizes/types of screws based only on the look of the others, as I couldn't really remove the other ones easily.

A standard #4 x 3/8" sheet metal screw was the first package I opened to try, and it seems to have done the trick just fine - screwed in and seems tight, so I'm rolling with it.

Thanks to all who suggested the various types of screws to look for, and I hope this thread can serve as an informational one for future readers. Cheers!
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2015 3:32 pm    

I could be wrong, but if you weren't able to extract one of the others to check the threads, a "standard sheet metal screw" sets off alarm bells for me.

My assumption is that whatever is screwed into that block of metal is going to be a fairly specific machine screw. A sheet metal screw of slightly larger size will go in, but you are running the risk of it mangling what I assume are well machined threads in the headstock.

I'm doing quite a bit of assuming, but I thought it bears mentioning...
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2015 3:59 pm    

just FYI, I have three buds with Grovers and all the screws look like this (appear to be #4 x 1/4"), the only difference is on the oldest one the screws have slotted pan heads. They're not machine screws

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2015 4:07 pm    

Yeah, to be honest I didn't try real hard to remove any of the other ones because upon close inspection, the angle of the screws and the actual wood on the head of the guitar made it pretty difficult, so I just left them all alone.

Those look exactly like what I purchased, although I did use a 3/8" inch as mentioned, and it seems to be working just fine. Perhaps even using the slightly smaller size screw will preserve any threading damage, but I'm not too worried at this point - I just got back from a rehearsal and the guitar played great (and frankly, it played great at a gig last night without the screw too, so go figure...). I'll keep an eye on it but so far, so good.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2015 5:19 pm    

i think you've taken care of it fine.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2015 5:55 pm    

I stand corrected.

Still strikes me as odd sheet metal screws in solid metal, but it's worked for so many years apparently.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 3:33 am    

They don't bear much stress, as the barrel threads lock it down. The screw acts as an index pin. In fact my Zum uses a pin.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 5:16 am    

I rebuilt my old Sho-Bud a few years ago and discovered that about half the key screws were sheet metal type and the rest were machine screws. I didn't particularly take note when I disassembled the key head so it was a real challenge to match the screws to the proper key hole when re-assembled. Mad

I suspect that sheet metal screws are what came with the keys when purchased in bulk.

Chicago
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 7:59 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
They don't bear much stress, as the barrel threads lock it down. The screw acts as an index pin. In fact my Zum uses a pin.

That makes sense I guess. It's not like the tuners are getting banged around on the end of a headstock. Alot of guitar tuning pegs have no screws and just integral pins anyway

Jerry Jones wrote:
I suspect that sheet metal screws are what came with the keys when purchased in bulk.

That would be my assumption as well. Every tuner set I've ever seen without integral pins has sheet metal or wood style screws for attaching to a headstock.
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 4:04 pm    

I'm sure I have a few of those screws if you can't find something that will work.
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 5:25 pm    

Thanks Justin, but I think I'm set! Played another gig last night and loved the Super Pro. Thanks for all the help though guys, don't know where I'd be without the Forum... Smile
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2015 6:51 am    

Great News! Yes, this is a wonderful place!
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2015 8:08 am     I have a couple places

Ace is the place - that is where I bought some.

I also have a bulk buy local place where you can get anything ys want too -

Sounds like you are fixed up now.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP