| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jack Smith lick, that I'm trying to figure out
Marcus Provis

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2015 11:48 pm    

Hi guys,

I have been trying to figure out one of Jack Smith's Steel endings from a song he played on with the Happy Goodmans. Over the last few days I had been working on it, and thought I had it, but it's not quite right yet. I used a slow downer program too, but still can't work it out. Perhaps I'm trying too hard!! Winking

Here is a link to the Soundcloud clip ====> https://soundcloud.com/marcus-provis/jack-smith-ending-normal

I appreciate any help with figuring this out, and would be interested in what your thoughts would be on it.

Thank you in advance!

Marcus

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 12:17 am     psg

Try this: strings 2,3 with index finger playing 2nd string, middle finger playing 3rd string and then thumb playing 4&3 at the KL positions that are used with F KL'er. Notice 4th string is played first then 3rd string. Pulling 2&3 towards you and 4&3 is going away. Thumb rakes 4&3. Lick is used at F, KL'er positions. Hal Rugg was known for using this lick. This should get you closer to the lick your seeking.
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 1:17 am     Thank you!

Hi Billy,

Thank you very much! That is a most helpful explanation; I had a go at it, playing it the way you suggested and it is the very sound I'm looking for. I am going to have to work on it now!

I appreciate your help.

Kind regards
Marcus Very Happy

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 9:12 am     psg

Glad to help a little. Lowering the 2nd string w/KL to a D is another way to use that string combination also. Using pedals 2&3(Emmons set up). Let's say we're in a C chord at the 8th fret to start. Begin at the 10th fret with pedals 2&3 down. Start on 3,4&5 and pedal into the 4th string by holding pedal 2 down and then bring in pedal 3. Use three strings with this lick. 3,4&5(bring in 3rd pedal as you pick 3,4&5 at 10th fret. 2,3&4 follows 3,4&5.) Now reverse it and pick 3,4 &5 and rock the pedal that pulls strings 4&5. The lick flows back to fret 9 and then fret 8, where pedals are released. Listen to Hal Rugg on some of Loretta Lynn's songs. Lick is used often. KL is held, lowering 2nd during lick. This opens a lot of different chances all over the E9th neck, once you get used to and understand the process here. Good luck.
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 6:26 pm    

Thank you for this one too Billy, I will have to get learning these ones, It's going to open up some new possibilities as you mentioned. It's great having some more pieces of the puzzle to figure out!
I haven't worked much on the second one yet, but have been working on the first lick a fair bit. Now to get it to flow out smoothly is going to take practice!

Thanks again,

Marcus

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 7:02 pm     psg

Ok, here's one more easy lick that can be used several ways, especially endings. This is the last one unless your looking for something I can help with. Listen to early Tom Brumley, Emmons and some others than were using this on early recordings. We'll do it in F chord at the 13th fret. Here's the string order without pedals first just to get the picture of what's there. 3,1,4,2,5&6. Here's the actual lick: Bar at the 13th fret, mostly covering strings 1 thru 6 or 7. Press pedal-1(raises B to C#) hold it down until you pick the 5th string. Pick separately but let them sustain, 3,1,4,2,now 5 and release pedal-1(still sustaining). As 5 is played release the ped#1 and press ped#2 raising the 6th string, G# to A. Don't let string 3 be heard, as 6 is played.(Ease bar back a little until it's off of 3rd string). Now release ped#2 and return the A to G#. This is the ending which can changed around to fit different things.
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 12:46 am     thank you

Hi Billy,

thank you for another great steel ending, that has a nice sound to it. They are very useful fills, and I appreciate your help. There is so much to learn on this thing! I'm having a go at some of those licks now.

All the best regards

Marcus

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 1:56 pm    

Hey Billy, is that the same lick that Weldon used on Cry Cry Cry, just going up instead of down?

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 11:15 am     psg

Hey Henry, I'll listen to Weldon and see. Don't remember. Thanks.