| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Don't want to play tonight's gig. PLEASE CLOSE
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 5:27 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
If you are a professional, you will know when it's my turn to play, I will be there. The crowd is who I am ultimately playing for.

unless, of course, you don't want to go to the gig even after the forum fixed your truck for you!

That's a pretty crappy insensitive thing to say. Pretty much shows what kind of person you are. Do you have a bone to pick with me about something?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 6:10 pm    

nope. you're right, i shouldn't have said that. sorry.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 7:34 pm    

Thanks Chris.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 8:23 pm    

John De Maille wrote:
Richard- if you use an amp with an extension cabinet, you can aim the second cabinet across stage at a slight or full 90 degree angle. I use a Stereo Steel rig and usually aim one cabinet slightly across stage just for that reason. It seems to work OK.
Just a thought.

Saving up for a Marshall stack. That way I can aim one of the cabinets across the stage and take all of them out. Laughing
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 8:52 pm    

I take it your band doesn't use monitors. .. yet you have a soundman....strange

If the guitar player has a monitor. .. he has no valid excuse. .
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 5:01 am    

Quote:
The lead singer is the sore spot. He has a great voice, good front man skills, but just drags out songs too long because they are dancing,

You are going to have a very tough row to hoe trying to convince a band with a regular gig that they need to play more accurately and to stop pandering to those silly people out there flappin' their arm flaps and jiggling various appendages. And the devotees of Modern American Bar Dancing have to buy GALLONS of alcohol in order to properly execute the techniques and moves. HINT: Don't let the bar owner hear that discussion.

The Greatest Steel Guitarist in the World, Jerry Garcia, would say that the Grateful Dead were, all the way from start to finish, always a dance band. Of sorts. Gotta admit they had a real knack for condensing 45 minutes of fine musicianship into a five hour show....

Question?
Quote:
always wished the first Harmonica should cost $5000, Or you should be required to have some sort of license or permit to own one.

Answer:

Mick Jagger
Steven Tyler
Roger Daltry

Always an "Oh - NO!" moment. Beer run! I like that license idea, they could be required to take a safety class, like drivers ed... plus more stringent enforcement of existing concealed weapons laws... plus special... compounds, and islands, where they can go live with others of their kind...
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 5:40 am    

I'll go on record here, a HARP player or a KEYBOARD player who uses the MAINS PA for their sound is a HUGE mistake. Even when they think they are not playing over someone, they are. Make no mistake, ANY instrument going thru the MAINS as the primary amp is LIVE and in your face all the time. It's not the same as being mic'd and using your own amp.

There is no such thing as Harmonica Backup , ask Paul Butterfield.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 6:51 am    

Okay, just to show that cats and dogs CAN live together on the same stage, here's me on harp and fellow forumite Shane Schoenadle on a Remington. A bit cacophonous at points but we were all having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgnKpev_mLY
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 9:21 am    

Quote:
And the devotees of Modern American Bar Dancing have to buy GALLONS of alcohol in order to properly execute the techniques and moves.

More like gallons of water... Rolling Eyes
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 11:15 am    

Tom Gorr wrote:
I take it your band doesn't use monitors. .. yet you have a soundman....strange

If the guitar player has a monitor. .. he has no valid excuse. .

Yes we do use monitors. Never said we didn't. Too many in my opinion. I don't want one within 100 miles of me if they are running the steel back through the monitors. I'm not sure if he is running me back through the monitors. My understanding is that they mic my amp only, besides the kick drum, to be able to run me back through the monitors. They always bitch that I am not loud enough. So last Friday night, I took my Zoom-like (actually a Tascam) hand held recorder, put it on a half height wall that was next to me, and aimed at the band. I was the same volume as the guitar player. So, I don't see what the problem is, except for the players on the other side of the stage. If I was to turn up my amp loud enough for them to hear, I would blow myself off the stage.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 11:24 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
I'll go on record here, a HARP player or a KEYBOARD player who uses the MAINS PA for their sound is a HUGE mistake. Even when they think they are not playing over someone, they are. Make no mistake, ANY instrument going thru the MAINS as the primary amp is LIVE and in your face all the time. It's not the same as being mic'd and using your own amp.

There is no such thing as Harmonica Backup , ask Paul Butterfield.

Bingo. Thus another reason for a soundman. He can tame the harmonica player in the mains. I think we should mic all instruments too, so he can keep the balance and volume in check. But, the guitar player would have to keep his volume in check onstage.

The other band I sometimes play with also mics just my amp. But I believe they mainly run it through the monitors so the lead guitar/keyboard player at the other end of the stage can hear when I am playing (his volume is pretty loud too, too loud to really hear anyone else Not near him), so he doesn't walk all over me. He is really close to his amps in most clubs, so they are blasting in his ears. I have very little problems with him.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 2:28 pm    

There's two things that I hate and both of them are harmonicas in a country band.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 3:30 pm    

The Toneheads kicking a// with that song. Definately looks like an enjoyable gig. I like it Bill. Richard just play the gig. Take the money and run. No sense stressing yourself. Say, just let me add this. If I was playing that job I would occasionly look at the hamonica player and laugh at him you might find that enjoyable. Think about it. Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 3 Nov 2015 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 3:43 pm     gig

Forget the rest of it...What's your word worth? If you took the gig, do the gig, and do it as good as you are able. If you hate it, don't take it again.

I would encourage you to take the high road buddy.
widcj@hotmail.com
Philip Sterk

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 4:07 pm     Re: gig

john widgren wrote:
Forget the rest of it...What's your word worth? If you took the gig, do the gig, and do it as good as you are able. If you hate it, don't take it again.

I would encourage you to take the high road buddy.

Totally agree.

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 4:44 pm    

Bob. Please close this.

There are too many responses to go play the gig that are appearing after I already played the gig
Jim Hoock

Highlands Ranch, CO.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 7:33 pm    

Richard, just curious...why do play steel guitar?

Not meaning any disrespect...but, as a beginner that has a sick desire to hopefully stand in your shoes someday, it seems that you have your priorities screwed up. If it is not fun, find a new gig. You owe the instrument more than that.
1968 D8 Stringmaster
Randall, Fender, Crate
Working my way thru the Jerry Byrd Instruction
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 8:31 pm    

Jim...

Good gigs in this area are hard to find. This is not my main band and I do plan to leave them at the end of the year if they don,t get their s#!t together. After 44 years of playing, a lot of those in great bands, it's hard to play with a band that is one step above a garage band. I am technically not a member of that band.

When you have been playing as long as I have, when you are really tired from the gig the night before (with this same band, with the lead guitar player next to me, and the harmonica player not there, not totally bad like this gig was), not feeling good, your hands hurt from carpal tunnel and nerve damage and trouble controlling my right middle finger, going to play in a crap hole, you,d probably feel the same. Fortunately, I also play with a more professional band.

BOB... PLEASE CLOSE THIS UP ASAP
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 9:18 pm    

I'm curious if you had a chance to read this thread:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=291625

Sure seems like a lot of talented players are struggling, looking for gigs. Thinking of that kinda helps me on those nights when I'm not really feeling it......

Just a thought.