| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For newer players..........
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 1:28 pm    

How many of you striving to master the steel guitar have discovered that you actually spend more of your own time attempting to play just like or to sound just like various other steel players?

I think it's fair to say that the majority of successful steel players, Emmons, Day, Chalker, etc., DID NOT spend much time trying to learn all the stuff being played by other players, but rather,
started playing tunes of their liking, choice, in order to fulfill their musical dreams.

It was so much easier for these artists to play what they FELT and in the manner of their own choosing rather than 'copy' another players playing habits.

Many of these players were outstanding in their musical careers because they played their own stuff
in the way they wanted. Each player has his/her own unique fretting or picking habits which ultimately became 'his or her' style.

Some of us have devoted a lifetime to learning and playing what another person created instead of striking out on our own and using our own creativity in order to achieve the sounds we want.

Think about it. What has been your course of learning.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 2:29 pm    

There are countless players who I want to play as well as. There is no one player I want to play "just like".
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 2:54 pm    

I've never forgotten this quote from French musician Jean Marie Redon: "Don't try to sound like someone else. You'll never sound like him. Try to sound like yourself. Nobody will sound like you."

Another favorite by Gene Parker: "It's not how much you know, it's how well you play what you know."
John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 3:04 pm    

But I want to sound just like Lloyd Green. Whoa!
Steven Albrecht

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 7:19 pm    

as a new player I am trying to learn licks etc that will work with our music,I may never be a lead player but I ant people to feel the emotion I can feel behind the lead singer
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 7:29 pm    

IMO, learning everything you can from your favorite artists is the best way to learn.

It's a great way to build your arsenal of chops as well as great ear training.

Of course, once you learn those chops, it's up to you about how to use them to create your own style.

Heck...learn as much as you can.
Whether it's from recordings, tablature, sheet music or somebody showing you how to play something.
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 7:38 pm    

It's always been my goal to develop my own style as I progress on the guitar or steel, or for that matter any other stringed instrument.I've always thought it important to learn how to improvise over chord changes in all keys.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 3:10 am    

I too am cursed the other way, with no one I'd emulate, but I prefer it, since tab does me no good.
I admire all the greats and revere the steel literature (the depth of which I didn't know before the forum).
Newer pioneers inspire me; they're doing they're own thing, thus I don't have to, and it just wouldn't do.

However, if I could just cop some of Gary Carter's licks....
It'd be the same thing as copying Frank Lloyd Wright's details without his understanding of the spaces created by them.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 8:51 am     Re: For newer players..........

Ray Montee wrote:

Some of us have devoted a lifetime to learning and playing what another person created instead of striking out on our own and using our own creativity in order to achieve the sounds we want.

I think creativity is something that some folks are just born with. Not everyone can be creative; there are born leaders, and born followers. But somewhere along the line, most everybody copies and builds on what others have done. This is one of the cornerstones of what we call "education".
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 9:03 am    

I think in my experience it had a lot to do with the type of bands I was in. I was lucky enough to jump in with an originals band that even when covers were played they didn't want to do note for note renditions. You learn a lot by being given a framework and being told to come up with something that you don't when you're learning what others have played.