POLL: Is this a dumb idea?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 30

Author Topic:  Here's An Idea - Opinions?
John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 10:26 am    

OK,
I was always taught to hold my bar with my index finger arched onto its back. I believe this came from
Dewitt Scotts book.

For a while I just laid my index finger flat along the top of the bar but it causes me cramps in my hand when
I do that too long, so I'm doing it the right way again.

Thing is, if you look at my picture below, what if the bar had a little area shaved out (simulated by my red dot)
that the tip of ones index finger seats in slightly. Seems to me that would give you better control of the bar,
as well as help new players get used to holding the bar correctly.

It might even assist (slightly) in the vertical movement of the bar.

Opinions?
JB in Ohio

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 10:37 am    

I don't think I'd care for that because then the bar would have to be held with exactly the same surface contacting the strings each time. Right now, it can rotate 360 degrees with no difference, and no worries.

I'm not going to vote because I'm not prepared to label your idea "dumb" but I'll be curious to see what other folks think...
John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 10:40 am    

LOL, good point. I'm not ready to try this on my old 60s Emmons bar just yet, but I might try it on one of my Ernie Ball spares just to see if it works.
JB
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 10:48 am    

I wouldn't change the bar , just place your finger in that approximate spot and play on ..

ps i voted dumb idea. Smile
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 10:50 am    

OK, now I'm voting 'not a dumb idea', because Bo and I disagree about everything. Wink
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:10 am    

Not dumb. I had Jim Burden make this one for me a few years back when I was having some grip problems. As I recall, it worked pretty good. Hard stainless, so I don't think there would be any problems from fixed contact.

I only sold it later because my issues were corrected and I wasn't using it anymore. Rolling the plain round one for vibrato is actually more intuitive than with a fixed finger position dimple for me.

I sold this one to Redd Volkaert and he loved it...even ordered another one I think, so it depends on the player and the situation. Definitely....not dumb.
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:12 am    

Personally I wouldn't alter the bar but I would slide my grip up so your left hand middle finger blocks high strings when pulling back. I think having the tip of middle finger on the bar that way is personal preference, no "correct" way. IMHO
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:13 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Hard stainless, so I don't think there would be any problems from fixed contact.

To be clear, my concern about 'fixed contact' wasn't wear on the bar surface. It's more about being able to roll the bar for vibrato, and - probably even more - to pick it up and put it down on any surface at any time, without worrying about which end is up.

But I defer to your experience with such a bar, Jerry. I have only my imagination to go on, not experience.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:21 am    

I agree, Jim. I think it would inhibit "rolling the bar" and vibrato. It's reminds me somewhat of the slotted bars that some players use on lap steel and dobro. I'm not a fan of those, but some players like them.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:22 am    

Sure Jim. As playing a bar in one contact position has been discussed here before, my comment about the bar composition was just a general statement to anyone concerned about that and not particularly directed toward your comments. If you notice, I agreed with you re: the restriction Smile
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 12:09 pm    

I have my index finger over the side of the bar like that, but the end of the finger goes about halfway between the top of the bar and the strings. I have absolutely no issues with rolling or sliding vibrato. Easier to pick up the bar too. I also find myself, at times, using the finger to mute a string that I don't want to ring, that is between two strings that I want to ring. An example would be to play strings 3,4 & 5, and want just strings 3 & 5 to keep ringing, I will drop my finger on string 4 to stop it from sounding.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 5:07 am     Re: Here's An Idea - Opinions?

John Booth wrote:
OK,
I was always taught to hold my bar with my index finger arched onto its back. I believe this came from
Dewitt Scotts book.

For a while I just laid my index finger flat along the top of the bar but it causes me cramps in my hand when
I do that too long, so I'm doing it the right way again.

That's counter-intuitive. One would think that the pressure maintaining that reverse arch on your finger would be more stressing than just laying your finger one the top of the bar? Evidently, there's something else going on. At any rate, just do what's comfortable for you, as long as it doesn't hold you back. Different people have different physiologies, so there really is no right or wrong. Cool
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 9:41 am    

I've always been intrigued by the way Bobbe Seymour (RIP) held the bar. Here is a link to him playing, back before he accidentally removed a digit.

Click Here
John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 9:59 am    

Holy Smoke !
My world has just been expanded by light years.
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 11:32 am    

My main gig bar is a sitar bar that I bought from Bobbe's store, which has about a 1/4" flat strip along the entire length. Naturally, for normal steel playing my index finger grips the flat strip. This seems to me to be similar to your proposal.

Honestly though, I have another identical bar without the flat strip (also from Bobbe) that I use at home, and I never notice a difference while I'm playing (except that when I let go it doesn't roll very far... but I guess I don't do that 'while' I'm playing).

So, I would vote that it won't negatively affect anything.

Jeff H.
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 11:42 am    

Why not just go buy a long dobro bar? Problem solved.

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 12:08 pm    

I don't think I would like this very well. I would be too conscious of where that spot is all the time. And what about guys like Bobbe Seymour and Terry Crisp anger index finger pointed at the pickups. But, then again maybe if you got used to it it would be okay. But sure don't think it's for me.
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Frank De Vincenzo

The Garden State
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 12:37 pm    

Hiya, John

Give Steve Gunder at SDF Tone Bars a call-(785)608-0207.
He has made custom cut bars for me because of limited feeling in my hands. He's a good ole boy who will treat you right.
Take care now,
Frank

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 8:09 am    

It may not be for everyone, but it's quite obviously not "dumb;" just go ask any user of a stevens bar or any other dobro / lap steel bar that basically utilizes this concept already. Millions sold, I'm sure.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 8:50 am    

Maybe it is bad technique. Who is to judge. .... but I have seen others do it too.... I dont put my index finger straight across the top of the bar. I find a natural ergonomic angle for my wrist and whatever the angle is that my finger crosses over on the bar is the most comfortable one.

When at fret 1 that is quite a stretch and kink for the wrist muscles if the finger is perfectly aligned with the bar. Finding a comfortable middle ground makes playing easier and perhaps even helps intonation.

Yes that Bobbe Seymour video is a real cool example of natural effortless left hand technique. It just works with the mechanics of his arm. I think THAT is the goal. .. effortless.

With the natural angle philosophy in mind I personally couldn't see any benefit to routing out parts of the bar. However. .. for plsyers who play in the manner described by the OP it may aid comfort.
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 10:02 am    

I just hold my bar between my middle finger and thumb.
The flat end of the bar is tucked in the fold where my thumb meets the hand for better control.
My index finger is not relevant. It just relaxes on top.