| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  History Of A Steel Guitar!
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2004 2:23 pm    

There are those who are gladly willing to pay more for anything which was once owned by someone of prominence. I can’t imagine anyone who wouldn’t cherish something that was owned by someone they admired.

Does that make anything worth more, of course it does......if only to those who admire the one who once owned it.

There are always those who scoff when someone pays more for anything than what they may consider to be the going price, but the premise is clear, those who scoff have themselves acquired things over the years and paid more than most would pay, for reasons which only they know.

The true worth of anything is that which someone is willing to pay. Looking at E-bay will prove that in an instant.

I have never known anyone who doesn’t cherish something in their life which may be worthless to others, but priceless to them. It has been said, "one mans discard is another mans treasure".

Am I foolish......possibly, am I sentimental......yes, am I different in that regard than most......I think not!
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2004 3:57 pm    

Would I like to have a psg that was owned by Curly, Julian or a few other of my idols? Absolutely, but I'm getting a little old to attempt a collection and dodge a possible divorce. Maybe someday there will be a psg museum that will become the final residence for these collectibles and many can get a look and ponder the engineering and copedants that the greats left behind.
Charles Walker

Chester, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2004 4:15 pm    

I would have to agree with you Resse but I would have to admit to own a guitar from one of your idol's would be something that only you could feel inside. But I think that you very first psg would have to hold a special place no matter who ever played it or owned it before. My MSA is my first and if I ever own another guitar I know that I'll still own the first. But that's just me.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2004 5:00 pm    

I refretted one of Wes Montgomerys' guitars. It's the L5 on the cover of his record "Movin' Wes".
When I refret guitars, I just throw the old frets in the trash next to my work bench.

I did not throw these frets away. I have guys who just ask me to pull the little plastic drawer they are in open so they can look at them!!

Not only to the instruments of famous players mean something mean something to people, but old parts of the instruments do so!!!

An instrument dealer who makes no mention of the instrument he is selling belonging to a celebrity is the type of person who can walk on water.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2004 6:26 pm    

Before I buy, I would ask why Buddy Emmons got rid of it.
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2004 7:59 pm    

I guess in the last fifteen years I was told "this guitar belonged to (you fill in the blank)" 25 times. Of course that's Nashville and the BS goes on. I was once told I could buy a prototype guitar once owned by probably the best known player in the business here a few years ago. Funny thing is I couldn't make mention of who the guitar had belonged to as they weren't supposed to give the guitar up and could get into trouble with the company. Imagine that! I've heard that called Okiedoke and I'm not falling for it. Just be sure you're buying the Real McCoy when you shell out those hard earned bucks.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 2:17 am    

The history of a guitar is very important to me personally. A couple of years ago I bought a blonde Fender Stringmaster from the Jim Reeves estate. It was my dads guitar and has his name is on the front of it. This little fender sat in the Jim Reeves museum for years till the museum closed down. Because it was a part of the Jim Reeves estate and was owned by Jim, they had this guitar valued at maybe 7 times what it was actually worth. It meant more to me that it was played by my dad than being once owned by Jim Reeves. All the bar dings in between the necks were put there by my dad and because of that its priceless to me. I didn't pay their listed price on the guitar but it still ended up costing more than a normal Stringmaster would have cost but to me it was worth every penny I paid for it. I have pictures of my dad on stage with Jim Ed Brown and Jim Reeves while on a tour in Europe around 1956 and dad was setting behind this very guitar. You can't put a price on that! I bet if you notice you'll see guitar dealers always charge more for any instrument that has a rich history. Then of course they'll say the history of an instrument doesn't matter if its proven that the instrument didn't belong to whoever they thought had it and the price will go down accordingly. The history of a guitar doesn't mean much to most folks I guess. It did to me.

Rick
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 11:41 am    

If I was Buddy Emmons,I'd buy 100 steels one day sell then the next day for three times the money.Hay! the person that buys one can say- this steel guitar was Buddy Emmons at one time,he played this very same steel. Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Miraglia on 21 September 2004 at 12:42 PM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2004 11:54 am    

He could start his own Company!