| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Str 6 G#>E, 1/2 stop at G#>F#?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 12:37 pm    

I have those two changes on LKL2 and LKR, but wondered if anyone has tried using G# way down to E (cool Paul Franklin change), with a double stop to also give you G# down to F#?

Also, that huge change doesn't stand out as loud and clear within chords on my Mullen D12 as I'd like, I use a plain .022 and stock single coil pickup (great tone, no complaints there). Any suggestions how to improve that? I would expect a wound string to need more travel, which I wouldn't want, but chime in, experts. Thanks!
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 1:14 pm    

I had something similar to that 6th string change for a while. I had a pedal that raised the 7th string F# to G#, and a lever that lowered the same string to E. Both changes were useful by themselves, and engaging one while releasing the other gave the G# to E effect.

While it's a cool sound, I don't think it's useful enough to dedicate a lever to it. JMHO, YMMV, etc...

I think it sounds better on the 7th string than the 6th, because the 6th goes way slack down at the E note.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 1:26 pm    

Thanks for your experienced insights, Bob. One thing I do like about the big lowering change is playing a chord w/pedals down, let go of B, then lower the string another 2 steps. Gorgeous sound, you can hear it plainly on George Strait's "My LIfe's Been Grand," the song that got me hooked on trying it out. I might try the double stop idea if I can find a .023 or .024 plain, not sure if they make that or not, but hoping that would both improve the tone, and shorten the travel needed.

Hope now that everyone's back from St. Louis I can get some more feedback! Sure been quiet here this weekend.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 9:07 pm    

bump for more replies and ideas, hopefully...
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 4:40 am    

Hi John, there are string companies that make up to .026 plains. I think D'Addario might, I'll check. I found the larger plains to be too dunky for me. You might try a lighter .020 instead. The 6th string on my D12's always kinda bothered me. I still have to try my string tree idea to add more tension at the nut end. I'll let you know if that helps.
Dave Ristrim
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2004 6:44 am    

Hi again John, I have just put that change on my Carter (while out on the road) and have found the string loses energy as it drops all the way down to E. It still is usable, but not as defined as I would like. Right now I have a .020 on it, when I get home I will try a .022. Paul seems to get a good tone off that change, we'll figure it out.
dave
Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2004 11:10 am    

Hi John,

I have always been under the impression that given two different string gauges raised or lowered to the same pitch the smaller gauge string will require being moved further (more travel) to reach the same pitch.

If I am wrong about this, then, nevermind...

------------------

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2004 6:47 pm    

Mark, you understand string movement correctly: smaller gauge = more travel to yield a note. I've learned that there is such a thing as an .024 plain, I'm going to order one and try it, see if that extreme lowering to E sounds better; it should!