| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter string spacing
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 10:34 am    

Does anyone else have a larger spacing between strings 3&4? Mine, at the bridge is larger than spacing of the other strings. I need to check out my C neck. At the nut, all spacing is the same.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 10:51 am    

Are your strings centered on the changer fingers? You could move them a little to the left or right to equalize them.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 2:16 pm    

Yup. I think it's because of the axel support.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 3:27 pm    

Richard, how 'bout a picture. This sounds intriguing. RP

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 5:18 pm    

I'll see if I can do a photo. But my equipment is still in my truck from Saturday afternoon's gig. My back hurts too much to unload it.
chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 4:30 am    

The string slots on the fingers themselves are not centered on my Carter, but it makes for an even spacing of the strings. Bridge sections for strings ten, seven and three are more narrow than the others, and are slotted in the center. The slots on the others are offset.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 10:05 am    

chuck lemasters wrote:
The string slots on the fingers themselves are not centered on my Carter, but it makes for an even spacing of the strings. Bridge sections for strings ten, seven and three are more narrow than the others, and are slotted in the center. The slots on the others are offset.

SAme as on mine. The narrower fingers are due to that axle supports. But I do get just a little more spacing between 3 & 4. I have to check the others, including the C6 neck. I'll have my guitar unloaded in a couple of hours. I'll see if I can get a good clear pic.
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 10:20 am    

This is the kind of thing that will drive a person bonkers who is OCD about symmetry! Winking It would bother me for a bit until I put it out of my mind.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 10:49 am    

Tim Russell wrote:
This is the kind of thing that will drive a person bonkers who is OCD about symmetry! Winking It would bother me for a bit until I put it out of my mind.

it's interesting richard can even find room for this worry, considering all his other conceived problems.

(you're a very good player, richard. but you've become so much more through your posted trials and tribulations.)
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 11:19 am    

It never bothered me before, but now that my hand problems are so much worse, if I try to have my middle finger reach up and hit the 3rd string, it misses and knocks my pick off. I've been playing this guitar for 16 years now, and it has always been this way, and never a problem. I don't think it is a manufacturing defect, but purposely done for some reason (because of the space taken by the axle support I suspect). Bud Carter always has a reason why he does something.

Saturday afternoon, I had a gig and literally could not play. I couldn't even lay my palm on the strings to block. Solos that would be many notes, I ended up playing less than maybe 10. After the first set (we only played 2) I had to have the guitar player cover most of my intros and solos. And Friday night, I actually played better than I have in several months (surprised me). Had to cancel out of a gig on Saturday night. Anyway, here are some pictures. The spacing is larger everywhere there is an axle support. Between strings 3 & 4 and 7 & 8, on both necks. The bottom picture shows the string slots. They are not always centered on the finger, and this shows the strings go straight over the finger. I did notice that I had strings 1 & 2 placed off center. I have no idea as to why, but they don't go exactly straight over the finger.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 12:02 pm    

that is weird. i wonder why no one else ever noticed that after all these years?
that would bug me too much.
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 12:33 pm    

Have someone fashion a cover to install over that area - out of sight, out of mind! Laughing

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 12:36 pm    

The look is not what bothers me. It is with the problems in my hand. It really doesn't matter because I am getting to where I can no longer play.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 2:08 pm    

Here's an image of a Carter changer that shows 3 narrow fingers and 7 larger fingers with offset string slots. All these slots appear to line up with equal string spacing?

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 3:38 pm    

This is a later changer. Mine is 3-up/3-down. Don't know if they are different. I would have to have that changer in my and measure to be able to say they are different spacing's or not. On mine, the space between 3 & 4, and 7 & 8 are 3/8" whereas the spaces between others are 5/16". Those are using the center line of the string slots.

I would love to have 4-up/2-down changer.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 1:17 pm    

Has the changer been rebuilt? Is this something you just noticed on a new (to you) guitar?
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 2:39 pm    

I bought this guitar new from Carter in 1999. The string spacing has always been there. My hand just doesn't like it now. If I am having a good night, it doesn't bother me. In fact, Saturday was the first time I had the problems picking like I had.

No work has been done on the changer, although I would like to take it apart and really clean it up.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 5:17 pm    

I can see why that would bother you, Richard...I'm speechless. Never thought Bud Carter would turn out anything like that. Sad
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 11:03 pm    

It's not the look. With my hand problems, my middle finger pick hits the string with the back of the pick.

Speaking of the hand problems, I had acupunture yesterday on my hand. I know it's supposed to be for pain, but I am actually playing pretty good tonight. One more set and I can go home and sleep.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2015 1:39 am    

Richard, sorry to hear of your hand problem.Perhaps Billy Phelps or Mitchell Smithey could answer your enquiry as they both worked for Carter Guitars and my be able to explain.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2015 2:26 am    

That acupuncture is good stuff, gets right down to the heart of the matter, not symptomatic treatment but the real thing.

It seems to me the strings have slowly gotten pushed forward by the thumb, and could be reset down toward you a little.
I don't know, just looking at it and that occurs to me.
Jan Dunn

Union, NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 10:47 am     This whole thing has piqued my interest so

I measured my very old Carter (way older than yours though the changer was upgraded to BCT) and I get a 1/64 difference between the strings you mention and most of the others. What I find is that the low strings seem to be CLOSER than the others by about the same measure. In your picture it looks like the low strings are closer too. That being said, I'm lucky if I hit the correct string half the time so it's totally moot for me. Is this all just like a standard deviation in statistics where 70% are close to a mean measure but differ just a hair? I suppose based on statistics, we should expect this kind of variation over say 1000 instruments built.

Regardless, someone with your experience must certainly be able to tell the difference and suffer an effect. I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad your hand issues are getting some relief from acupuncture. That stuff really works based on my own experience.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 4:59 pm    

Quote:
It seems to me the strings have slowly gotten pushed forward by the thumb, and could be reset down toward you a little.
I don't know, just looking at it and that occurs to me.

No Charlie. That is not what is happening. The strings go straight over the finger aligned with the string ball slot. I measured the slots in the fingers, and I think I posted what the difference was in a previous post. My old brain can't remember.

And the acupuncture. 2 weeks ago, they did my back. Lasted maybe 30 hours before I was in pain again. But, last week they did my hand, which wasn't hurting that day, and I was able to play the following night. I'm having it done again tomorrow. I might see if they will try my legs to help with this damn Neuropathy.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2015 2:44 am    

It was just a blind guess.

I'm glad to hear about the results of acupuncture; no reason it won't help the legs as well, as it's all neurological.
Don't be surprised at the selection of points; they may use points in the back and feet as well as the legs.

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2015 10:01 am    

I skipped the acupunture appt today. Didn't have the motivation to hop on a bus, take BART. Take another bus to the hospital. Then the same coming home. Driving there is really not much of an option as there is no parking spaces available on weekdays. Maybe next week.