| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Need advice....
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 11:44 am    

I don't know where to post this so I will give it a shot here. I have a very nice old Kalamazoo arch top that needs cleaning before I can polish it. What is the best way to remove dust and grime from laying around for years. Thanks for any and all advice..

Old Bud
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 11:58 am    

I usually use Naptha (normally Ronsonol cigarette-lighter fluid) on a clean cloth to clean old gunk off a guitar. Depending on the state of the finish, I would be more or less careful about how hard I rub. If it has a lot of checking and/or flaking, I'd go real easy. If the finish is real solid without any checking, you probably can rub a bit harder. But I would not generally use a buffer on an old nitrocellulose finish.

On polishing, again I'd go real easy unless the finish is in real good shape. And even then, I wouldn't go crazy polishing and buffing out an old finish like this. It's pretty easy to mess up the finish. I generally avoid abrasive polishes on vintage guitars unless the finish is unusually clean and/or thickly applied, and old Kalamazoos are generally a nice thin nitrocellulose lacquer.

I understand wanting to get serious gunk off an old guitar like this. And that can generally be done without tearing up the finish if one is careful. But a heavily checked and/or flaking finish can be problematic.

My take, having owned and cleaned up a bunch of old guitars like this over the years, including a few 30s-40s Kalamazoo flat/arch tops.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 12:49 pm    

Thanks Dave.The finish appears to be very good with minimal checking. So I will go slow and easy on it.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 6:00 pm    

Hey, another note - whatever you use, start on a small inconspicuous place on the guitar to make sure nothing reacts with the solvent. I have never had issues with Ronsonol/naptha, but I always take that precaution. Any finishing 'expert' I've talked to has always told me the same thing. I'm no 'expert' at all, so I listen to those guys like Dan Erlewine and others very carefully.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2015 1:14 am    

Thanks Dave.
I figured that was the proper thing to do. She is lovely but needs a little tlc.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2015 9:12 pm    

Close it up bob. I'm all set.thanks