| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E13 string gauges on Bigsby
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 9:30 am    

I recently acquired a T8/10/8 Bigsby with 8 pedals (I posted here because I figured I'd get more E 13 players). I've put D9 on the front, C6 on the middle 10 and want to put Leon's E13 on the inside 8. I have pedals on the neck and don't want to break strings like crazy - I had to tune the front neck down to D because of strong breakage. This is my first Bigsby and I'm still figuring it all out. What gauges would you put on the E13? Thank you!!
Ps- the guitar has been cleaned since this pic was taken!

London, England
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 9:46 am    

Gorgeous steel.

I guess the gauges will depend on the scale length and which strings you will be bending (and how much).

John Ely's chart should help though.

http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.php
Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 10:10 am    

Congrats on a fine guitar Abe.
I'd use:
E 15-16
C# 17 -18
B 18 -19
G# 21 plain
F# 26 wound
D 34
G# 42 -44
E 56

GHS strings work well, or the bulk nickel strings at juststrings.com are great for a Bigsby too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 10:38 am    

Thanks! I'm VERY excited about it. The guitar looks and sounds amazing.
Thanks Todd - I was hoping you'd see this - that's exactly what I needed!

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 12:39 pm    

Moved to Pedal Steel from Steel Without Pedals. Please post in the appropriate area.
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 6:52 pm    

Nice Bigsby! What do the pedals on the E13 tuning do? Any idea what Billy Earle's copedent was?
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 7:11 pm    

Thanks Matthew!

I don't know what his copedent was, but he's still alive and I'm hoping to meet him so maybe he'll tell me!

The inside neck is currently set up to raise string 3 on one pedal and 5,6,7 on another. To change which strings raise (this neck is the only neck that has no lowers) I'll have to have the changer drilled and tapped, as there are only tuning screws for the current tuning... (String 2 is tapped already, so could move something there) I can raise a whole or half step... Any suggestions? I'm new to the E13 (leon's) tuning, so I'm still trying to figure out what raises I should use. Eventually I will only be using one pedal (raising strings 5,6,7) as I plan on moving the other pedal to the middle neck which is a 10 string c6th tuning.

I have to say, a Bigsby is worth it. this guitar is just incredible. To play, just to look at! I've been wanting one for a long time and finally went for it. It's the most beautiful object I've ever possessed.

Thanks Chris Lucker!

London, England
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 11:37 pm    

My guess for the original function of the 567 pedal was that it originally had some version of E9 on that neck with DBG# on those strings and the pedal raising them to EC#A.

This is the same as part of Bud Isaacs' "Slowly" tuning.

I can't think of anything very useful to do with strings 567 of Leon's E13 though - of course this tuning was designed without pedals in mind.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 7:45 am    

My best guess:
Tab:
      p1   p2
1 E
2 C#
3 G#  +A
4 F#
5 D       +E
6 B       +C#
7 G#      +A
8 E

It's E13, and the pedals change it to A6.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 9:18 am    

Isn't that what the pedals were intended back in the day? Just to make a new tuning, so that makes sense that it goes to A6
Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 9:22 am    

You may have an easier time figuring what to do if you don't think like a modern pedal steel player and think like a player in the early fifties......just a thought
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 2:58 pm    

What do the other pedals do? Bob's guess on the back neck seems quite plausible.
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 4:43 pm    

It's strung with the B on string 3, as described above by Todd, so I'd need to change tuning for Bob's suggestion, though it seems like a good idea. It's basically what I was thinking until I realized the fingers can't be moved (yet). I spent the day with Chas Smith (an incredible person, and generous with his time) and it seems he'll be able to sort me out. But more suggestions are welcome. As for thinking g like a 50s player, there's a pill for that right? Can anybody send me one?
Thanks!

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 4:47 pm    

I'd say post 1953 the pedals were no longer just to change tunings (isaacs slowly) so thinking this way for a 1956 guitar is not necessarily period corect.

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 5:31 pm    

I have an 8-10-8 on order from Todd and I'm putting the modern E9 on the middle neck with A, B, and C. The back neck will have C6 with standard pedals 5, 6, 7, 8 (low c-c# raise only). The front neck will stay non-pedal.

If I had your guitar I'd get in touch with Billy Earle and put his changes on it. I'm kind of a history nerd though and I understand those changes may not work for you.
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 7:00 pm    

Matthew - wow that sounds like an awesome guitar! I will most likely be ordering a similar guitar from Todd. I nearly did so this year, but I had my heart set on a Bigsby so wanted to get that out of the way first...! What a problem to have! I have a d9 8 string set up with A B pedals and also lower the Es on the front neck. I'm really happy with this. I have C6 on the ten string neck and will have pedals 567 on it once I have the rest of the tuning screw holes tapped.... I'm not too concerned with it being set up exactly as fireball had it. I bought it to play and I want to play tunings I can actually play! It's pretty much the coolest guitar I've ever seen, so I'm happy! It says FIREBALL on the front! Three necks! 8 pedals. But most of all... It's a Bigsby.

Ps - today I held Murph's D8 lap in my hands, compared norm hamlet's T8 to my T8/10/8 and strummed Reece Andersons single 8. Also a T10 non pedal. All bigsbys. All Chas Smith's. It was a magical day. Five bigsbys in one place! Heaven! Thanks Chas!

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 11:41 pm    

Yeah, if your Bigsby says FIREBALL on the front you pretty much have the coolest guitar ever. Can't argue with that!
Bill Galvan

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 8:45 am     Posting test

Hello Abe
I have been having computer problems posting. I'll contact you later if this
is successful.
Bill Galvan a.k.a.Fireball
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 9:14 am    

Hi Bill! I believe I have your phone number and will try calling you today. Very excited to talk to you! Thanks! Abe

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 2:48 pm    

Had a long chat with Fireball this morning - wow, so cool to talk to you Bill! Getting a chance to learn everything about this amazing guitar from the guy that ordered it and played it in the 50's - unbeatable!

To Todd and others that I talked to about the strange legs it has - turn's out Fireball's dad built them after he wore out the originals! Mystery solved! Fireball and I are going to get together with the guitar soon. I'll post some pics when we do.
Thanks Fireball, for ordering the coolest guitar ever!

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 5:47 pm    

Here is a link to an article about Arliss McMinn and the California Playboys featuring Bill "Fireball" Galvan along with a couple other California steelers:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/17470/arliss-mcminn-and-the-california-playboys/

Even better, here is a short film about them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb85v813z60
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 5:50 pm    

Yes, I've seen these. Great stuff! Thanks for posting these links!

Southwest France
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 7:18 pm    

Great thread, Congrats on an amazing instrument...and a remarkable steel community to go with it. Magical.
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2015 9:36 am    

Thanks, Geoff - It's pretty exciting to get this guitar, it kind of comes with a whole world around it. Talking to a lot of people I probably wouldn't have gotten an opportunity to connect with if it weren't for the guitar, not least of which Fireball himself!

And yes, this forum is truly amazing. Reminds me, I probably need to make a donation. I spend a lot of time on here!