| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kenny Chesney on CW
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 4:50 pm    

watching it right now ... steel guitar nowhere in sight .... stage looks like 80's hippy Bonaroo gig more then anything else .... I usually give about 15 years to steel guitar, before it disappears completely , but after watching, and paying little more attention to the new artists, I think I will have to adjust that to 10 years or less ... I don't think 10 years from now we will see steel guitar on TV any more...maybe here or there, like some kind of musical freak instrument... but thats about it...sad

The Beach South East Florida
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 6:41 pm    

All good

Last edited by Philip Mitrakos on 9 Oct 2015 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 8:18 pm    

Unfortunately, I fear you are right. 10 years...maybe.

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 8:43 pm    

Kenny had steel in his band at one time-Jim Bob Gairrett played steel for him
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 5:54 am    

Stop using nashville crap as your barometer.

Last edited by Dustin Rhodes on 30 Sep 2015 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 12:43 pm    

Quote:
Stop using nasheville crap as your barometer.

Suggest an alternative.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 12:46 pm    

Just go to a Texas honky-tonk and give a listen.
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 12:57 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
Stop using nasheville crap as your barometer.

Suggest an alternative.

Currently #3 on the country charts.
https://youtu.be/V5NlQuD-PUI
https://youtu.be/9ZOgzXJQ8EY

Released earlier this year.
https://youtu.be/2v85C8GMofM
https://youtu.be/aDrvd9p3c_8
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 12:58 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Just go to a Texas honky-tonk and give a listen.

Indeed.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 1:54 pm    

One barometer I use is to check out who Greg Leisz is playing for in live gigs at any given time then branch out from there. Then you do that with other good players who are not employed as sidemen for mainstream Nashville acts and you find the steel guitar being used in some interesting places.To list a few of Greg's gigs over the past several years:

Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs
Bill Frisell
Jackson Browne
The Watkins siblings: Sara and Sean, with W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) and more recently The Watkins Family Hour

To use the branching out idea, If one takes for example LaMontagne, Eric Heywood was a bandmate, and he has also spent a fair amount of time with Chryssie Hynde & The Pretenders, Tift Merritt and others.

Or right now Robby Turner with Chris Stapleton - probably my favorite music that has been released this year.

We've been down the road here many times regarding the dawn of California Country Rock and all the steelers involved back in the day along with the influence of Garcia by playing on Teach Your Children.

But to me, the seminal figure who blazed the trail for all that came later in the pedal steel being used in a genre other than straight country or even country rock was when Big Ben Keith became Neil Young's bandleader for certain configurations.

With the latter Byrds, New Riders, Burritos, etc. we still knew that what they were doing was playing a lot of stuff that was very close to straight country but with long hair and a different twist.

Ben Keith on Neil Young's stuff - it was still Neil Young music, just not the louder, more raucous Crazy Horse side. It wasn't music that had been heavily influenced by straight country, and it put the pedal steel guitar in a different setting.

There's a lot of that sort of thing going on nowadays, because if there weren't I don't think all the fine steel guitar builders we have to choose from now would be able to stay in business.

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 4:14 pm    

The new Don Henley CD 'Cass County'

featuring Russ Pahl, Milo Deering, Jim Hoke and Dan Dugmore.

George Strait, 'Cold Beer Conversation', great job Paul!

Dustin, I agree, just heard the 'Turnpike Troubadors' from my brother-in-law, they are great!, got the new CD recently.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 11:11 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:
One barometer I use is to check out who Greg Leisz is playing for in live gigs at any given time then branch out from there. Then you do that with other good players who are not employed as sidemen for mainstream Nashville acts and you find the steel guitar being used in some interesting places.To list a few of Greg's gigs over the past several years:

Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs
Bill Frisell
Jackson Browne
The Watkins siblings: Sara and Sean, with W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) and more recently The Watkins Family Hour

Yeah, and that barely scratches the surface of Leisz's credits. The other guy to watch is Eric Heywood.

Really tho, as this small list points out - I think the future of pedal steel resides in the singer-songwriter camp, the genre-defying, amphibious artists who seem to favor the textures & colors pedal steel adds to an arrangement. It may fall away from country (I don't think it will), but it won't disappear.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2015 10:00 am    

I've had to rely on lead guitar to keep on playing gigs pretty much. I play three nights a week on guitar and get a steel gig every now and then. This year I had one in March, one in June, one in September (which was cancelled) and I've got one on the books for November 15th so it looks like my steel's just gonna sit in the practice room and just go out occasionally. I have the option to take it out to my regular gigs but it's just too much hassle to carry two amps and set up and tear down the steel... I wish the steel was featured more like it was in my old SoCal days as there were a lot of players and a lot of gigs for them to work, not anymore....JH in Va.