| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advise Needed
Steve Haws

Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 10:47 pm    

I am new to the forum and need some advice on equipment. I played pedal steel in the 70's. I recently decided to get back into playing steel and drug my old 60's Sho Bud Maverick out of the closet. It's a stock 3 pedal/1 Knee lever maple lacquer model. The only mod is I threw a George L E-66 pick-up in it at some point. The amp I used to play through is a 50's Gibson Maestro. I had it re-voiced for electric blues harmonica, so it no longer has the tone it used to for playing the steel through it. For reverb I used a 60's Fender tube reverb unit. Pedal is an original Sho Bud which believe it or not works (no scratching or broken string!) I have about $1,000 cash to spend (plus what I get selling the Maverick) for an amp, new steel, and pedal. I am somewhat of a purist and love the vintage Nashville sound. I play in garage bands and small venues. Your advise?

BTW...this is a great site/forum Bob

[This message was edited by Steve Haws on 08 September 2004 at 03:29 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 12:37 am    

On a budget of about a grand my take would be a Professional model of a Single 10..with at least 3+4. I'm thinking a nice PRO S10 will be taking up your full amount of cash..and then some.

OR..

you may consider a brand new Carter Starter which is a 3+4 configuration at around $800 ...

I have seen the Mavericks go for around $400 to $500 so maybe that extra bit of cash will be of assistance.

Considering that since the 70's prices have moved along with the decades it may be tuff to get all you want within the planned budget. I would only comment that another student 3+1 Steel does not sound like the answer.

My take would be a new Carter Starter..3+4 and a used quality Peavey or Fender amp. There are plenty of Peavey Nashville 400's out there in the $300 to $400 range and that would be an excellent choice.

good luck and welcome back...

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 08 September 2004 at 01:38 AM.]

Ron !

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 3:00 am    

Steve

Tony is right.Your maverick will be around $400-$600 if it is in good condition.And like Tony said a carter starter would be great to pick up your steel playing again.A lot of guys offer a great amp for a small amount of money.Maybe you can sell your Maverick on E-bay.I have seen them being sold for over $600.
Steve Haws

Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 6:27 am    

Thanks Ronald and Tony....Ya I figured I'll have about $1,500 for a new steel and amp. I'll probably look for gear in good used condition to squeeeeze the most out of my budget. Is there much difference in the sound/reverb between the new Peavey 112 and the previous Session 400 model in your experience? I love the sound I am getting out of my Sho Bud, just need a few more knee levers and a mechanism that will stay in tune! What do you guys think about getting it reworked with a newer mechanism with more knee levers? Thanks....

[This message was edited by Steve Haws on 08 September 2004 at 07:28 AM.]