| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adding A toggle switch to Effects
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2015 8:09 pm    

I am considering wiring up a toggle switch to all my effects pedals that are used with steel so that I can turn them on and off with a hand while playing. I have built my board on a stand beside my steel at arms reach. Has anybody done this? Is it just as easy as jumping the switch right onto the original switch control connection? Could somebody make up a diagram for me. For examples. Thanks
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss Digital delay
MXR Dyna Comp
Strymon El Capistan
EH NANO Pog.

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2015 11:14 pm    

I'm probably not the right guy to make up a diagram, but it wouldn't be hard to do. However, I wouldn't recommend doing it. I do a lot of pedal switching with my right hand and I think toggle switches would slow me down quite a bit. Clickless switches like on your Strymon are easy enough to press, and you can just smack em when you're in a hurry.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2015 1:26 am    

Might be easy on the boutique pedals. The factory pedals rather more work.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2015 2:12 am    

I did it with all my MXR effects back in the 70's & 80's. They used real switches, well, big separate switches as opposed to those in Boss pedals. I actually replaced them with mini-switches. Much easier to switch on and off.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2015 10:18 am    

Either the signal is running through the switches or it's not. If it is, then your toggle scheme will work, but the extra wires would be a nightmare. If the signal is not (think Boss) then the switch is more likely a momentary 'on' switch that causes the electronics to 'flip-flop' between two different states... you'd have to toggle on, then off, to change the effect. Isn't there something called an Octopus?...

Here's one used, for a reasonable price:

https://reverb.com/item/1077974-rockman-midi-octopus-channel-switcher-effects-controller-rack-mount-adapter

There's also a product called the 'Octobus', which does a similar thing I think. These solutions would be much preferable to having all the wires come to your guitar.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2015 12:10 pm    

I did a remote switch that clipped on my guitar that activated a rack delay unit I had. It had a footswitch jack on the back. I used a momentary contact switch. It worked well. Not sure it would work with Boss type pedaos
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dennis Andreatta

hazel crest,illinois,60429
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2015 3:17 pm     toggle switch wiring

Hey Jeff, Here is a article I was looking at to try a toggle switch setup with my pedals...Check it out..

http://www.strymon.net/2011/06/07/interview-with-pedal-steel-guru-jon-graboff/