| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  &%rghu&%$&&^
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 8:51 pm    

Ever feel like giving it up and throwing the stinking thing out the door, after spending all that money which is hard to get then you realize that you will never learn to play it like you want ? When you slide that steel bar up and down the neck all you hear is waaannnggggg mixed in with your melody? I thought it would be better than this. When you press the pedals and it sounds so sour you wanna screem? You hit that knee lever and you get it all wrong again ? darn will I ever get it right. When you play that lesson cd and you know you are playing the right notes but it dosent sound like the cd ,what am I doing wrong your thinking then you realize that your never gonna sound like a steel player? You cant do it , you ll never do it, its way above you . you get disgusted and your gonna sell it do away with you don't need the headache. Ever feel like that?
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 9:50 pm    

It has been said before that it takes two years to sound like crap. Prior to the end of year two it sounds so bad there isn't even a category for it. By five years you begin to realize that it will take twenty to be at a pro level. After 20 years. .. nothing you can play fits the musical trend of the day... you are outdated and moving out of the prime of your life.

So in the final analysis. ... you have to play it because you love every moment with it. .. and nothing else matters.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 2:19 am    

The only time I have felt like throwing out a steel guitar, was when I was asked to tune up, and then also play, someone else's Carter Starter - earlier this year. A horrible experience for one that is used to Dekley Very Happy

For the first few years after I bought my first PSG - in the early -80s, as I was seriously trying out much of the available lessons, I became quite frustrated by the fact that many of those lessons - and teachers - tried to make me play and sound anyway but me.
Once I started picking out what I liked and wanted to achieve, and began ignoring all else, playing steel turned into pure fun, and that feeling has lasted ever since.
Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 2:31 am    

Tom Gorr wrote:
It has been said before that it takes two years to sound like crap. Prior to the end of year two it sounds so bad there isn't even a category for it. By five years you begin to realize that it will take twenty to be at a pro level. After 20 years. .. nothing you can play fits the musical trend of the day... you are outdated and moving out of the prime of your life.

So in the final analysis. ... you have to play it because you love every moment with it. .. and nothing else matters.

Amen to that. It's the most frustrating yet rewarding instrument, it either sounds like the angels singing in heaven or demons grinding their teeth in hell.

Some nights it sings, other nights it doesn't for no apparent reason, but hey just put it away for while, you'll always want to go back to it. It's more addictive than nicotine.

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 3:43 am    

Pray for patience.....
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 4:34 am    

I have often said that the only thing that kept me from throwing the damn thing out the window was the fact that my first 9 months I was playing borrowed guitars, that would need to be returned.
Hang in there. It does eventually become easier.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 6:57 am    

Don't give up!
I remember in my youth when I was taking Hawaiian guitar lessons, I got to the point where I hated to go for lessons and then, just like turning on a light bulb, it all came together and I loved it after that.
Patience produces results! Very Happy
Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 7:03 am    

Every once in a great while I get 2 or 3 notes in a row that sounds to me like something Buddy might have played (well.....almost). Live for those few moments....for me they make it all worthwhile. PLUS....everyone looks good sitting behind one.

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 8:06 am    

It has to be the most humbling instrument ever made. I just had a 'quit-playing-moment' a few weeks ago. Played a gig backing up the son of a legend, first time with this particular group. Had some good licks, a few train wrecks, and I could see the steel players in the audience wincing.... Didn't help that the drummer tended to kick off songs a lot faster than at practice and the fiddler was in his own world of overplaying. As I drove home I decided that was it, no more. Kept the steel in its' case for three weeks, but it's out again and I'm practicing for my next gig. I can't quit!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Last edited by David Cubbedge on 24 Sep 2015 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 8:06 am    

My S10 wood neck ShoBud ProI had dings in the fretboard where I slammed my steel down hard, out of frustration. Didn't hurt the sound one bit, fortunately. I've always regretted selling it.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 8:09 am    

steel guitar isn't for everyone.
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 8:32 am    

Sounds like some adjustment's might be in order, If the pedals sound that bad. Take it to a good Tech. then just play it and don't touch it other than Tune it at the Key head. Have fun and don't get in a hurry.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Hamilton Barnard

Oro Valley, Arizona (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 8:32 am    

I'm at year 4 playing, only 16 more years to go to sound good. But then I'll be 82. Oops...
Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 9:15 am    

I'm with you there, Hamilton - I'll only be 60, but still. Oops is right.

So my answer the OP is, yeah, definitely. But for some reason I haven't yet - probably because I'm too stupid to understand Chris Ivey's post.... Devil
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 9:19 am    

Maybe you can take one or two lessons, to help you tune the guitar and get a start with the first few basics.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 9:56 am    

Russell, I understand completely! I looked in my email file and on 8-22 of this year I sent an email to one of my mentors saying I was in a real "down" cycle and felt like walking away from it. And about 2 weeks ago I sent the same guy an email saying I felt like I was finally getting somewhere on it.

What changed in between? Nothing much. I did play a couple days at a country music jam, I got a couple pointers from some long-time players, but overall it was just the "staircase" effect where you make a jump upwards, then are on a flat plateau for a while until the next jump.

And for what it's worth, I have been told by guys who have played 35, 40 or more years that THEY seem to have times where nothing goes right and they feel like taking an ax to the instrument.

Hang in there, try working on some different facet from what you have been, and it will swing the other way. You are FAR from alone in thinking you're stalled, but it DOES get better!
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 10:49 am    

Quote:
And for what it's worth, I have been told by guys who have played 35, 40 or more years that THEY seem to have times where nothing goes right and they feel like taking an ax to the instrument.

Now, there is a true statement if I've ever heard one. I'm actually having physical issue with both hands and arms. I have gotten my guitar and stuff ready to sell several times over the past couple of years. Fortunately the good people of this forum, and other friends (and the fact that my guitar has a little bit off the standard as far as copedent) have talked me out of it.

Tom Gorr said:
Quote:

Man, I cringe when someone says this. No one can know when someone else will be ready to play well, or how long it should take. If, at an early age, someone would have told me this, I would have gotten rid of my guitar at that point, as I wanted to switch from drums and play steel in the band I was in fairly quickly.

It may take someone 2 years to "sound like crap". If that's the case, maybe the steel guitar is not the right instrument for you. I have a friend who was a killer jazz and country guitar player. He wanted to learn how to play steel guitar. So, he bought a GFI off of a friend. So, he woodshedded all he could, but felt really stuck. I gave him a hand full of lessons. I quit the band I was in at the time that held weekly jam/open mic gigs. After I left, he started taking his steel down. The band let him play all night. In what I believe was less than a year, he was playing out in public. Was he REALLY good. No, but he was listenable. He gets better all the time and even when he feels that he'll never get it, he keeps on chugging.

The moral of my story is:
1) Maybe the steel guitar is not the right instrument for you. It's not for everyone.
2) Some people catch on faster than others. Some never get it, but still can get to the point of playing for themselves and being happy to get that far. Don't set a timetable for it, or listen to any other's comments about when you should be "good". Hopefully the above comment was written in jest. But... I have heard that before. Hated it then too.
3) Maybe find some local musicians that are not pro level (they might not put up with you), or at least a decent guitar player, and play with them. You'll be surprised how must faster that you will progress. I, and others (I would guess), will tell you that they learned most of what they know "on the bandstand". By "on the bandstand", I don't literally mean on a gig in a club or something. But continue with lessons you are doing.

You never told us what guitar you have. That would help with being able to help with your tuning problems. What you are describing, to me, is, you don't have the guitar in tune (open and/or with pedals) in the first place. Do you have a tuner? Tuning all notes straight up, with no flatting or sharpening of some notes, might cause you to think your guitar is out of tune. It does to me. I use tempered tuning, unless I am playing with a keyboard. It sounds better to me.

How long have you been playing, although I don't agree with Tom's timeline, I do agree with his underlying message that it will take time. He's a pretty knowledgeable guy. How long is up to you. See if there is someone that you will be able to take a few lessons within a comfortable driving distance. Some of what you are describing just sounds like inexperience, and not knowing how to block or work the bar hand. We,ve all been through that.

And finally (again) tell us what guitar you have, do you have a tuner, how long have you been playing.

Hang in there.

Just my opinions, and I am sure someone will disagree
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 11:53 am    

Even though I said the words I do agree there is no time table. I spent one day with a top pro steel player and felt I moved a year ahead in progress relative to the independent trial and error approach that was the norm. I do believe with Skype. .. wide access to written lessons etc. .. progress could be a lot faster than other approaches.

I also think the age a person starts plays a big role in retention. ... age 5 to 7 is the peak for dialing in brain structure. But there are indeed some people that just have an ability to grab things and run at any age.

Is steel guitar for everyone. .. no. . it is for those that have the commitment to endure and enjoy the challenge.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 12:26 pm    

I've never felt like giving up - the instrument is just far too addictive.

The pedal-steel guitar is a logical, knowable and repeatable instrument. It is difficult and demanding to play well, but it can be done. Indeed, several notable players have done precisely that.

Music itself is knowable, logical and repeatable. The structures, harmonies and tonal relationships are all there and can be understood if you are exposed to them for long enough.

What isn't knowable, logical, or repeatable about this instrument - or music itself, for that matter - is what comes from the heart of the player each and every time he plays the instrument, and that applies to pretty much any instrument.

It's that unquantifiable "something" that the player adds from his heart to his playing that elevates our chosen instrument far above it being simply the sum of its parts.

The emotion, the passion, the feeling in steel-guitar comes from the player's heart. You have to first accomplish the nnecessary mechanical co-ordination to actually play this instrument - and then you have to let what is in your heart come out in your playing.

These are two entirely seperate and distinct things. The second cannot be achieved unless the first is.

Get your steel properly set up, in tune and mechanically dialled in. Then, learn the basic techniques, and the musical relationships between notes and chords which are the result of the pedal and lever-changes. Copedents don't just happen, they are developed for specific musical and logical reasons.

Then, play from your heart. Hear what the message and the feeling in the song or piece of music is and let your heart tell you what to play and when to play - and when not to play, which is even more important.

Never give up - that way lies failure.

However, if you are feeling as if you've hit a wall, having a break for a while can prove marvellously therapeutic. It's astonishing what your "little grey cells" can do if you let them have a little time to themselves.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 3:42 pm    

Get some one-on-one lessons from a good player! Learning from YouTube, DVD's or tab will never make you a great player. Why? Because you need negative feedback, someone to tell you when you're you're doing something wrong, and you can only get that from a live person.

Go out to see and hear other players...visit them, study them, compliment them, bribe them, if you have to. You miss too much of the learning process if all you do is sit at home. Cool
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 5:45 pm    

Playing steel is both work and also fun. If it's enjoyable, you will continue and you will improve.

Attitude goes a long way. Concentrate on the improvement you make each month rather than dwelling on the negatives. You do need feedback to correct mistakes as Donny mentions but that is different than constantly beating yourself up.

Many of the suggestions mentioned in this post and others on The Forum will help in your journey.

Lastly, if I have learned to play steel somewhat, anyone can do it. Good luck. stevet
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 11:03 pm    

Dear Russell - Very original subject line. For me, personally, the hardest thing was never the E9th Nashville 10 string pedal steel, but going from a 6 string to an 8 string guitar. I went from dobro and lap steel to an 8 string C6th. I was dumb and I thought an 8 string would be louder, but it was just the opposite - more complex and more subtle, I had to play softer and more accurately. I couldn't beat on my big ole 8 stringer !! THAT drove me nuts !! But after I got over that, no problem that the pedal steel has to offer has ever bothered me again, only more opportunities to dazzle.

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2015 12:03 am    

Having paid a lot of money for My first pedal steel was what kept Me going,had I bought a cheap clunker it would have been binned after a couple of months.
One important thing is "mind set" If You say to Yourself "I will never play this thing" You are right,You will never play that thing.
A hypnotist uses post hypnotic suggestions to tell You to TRY and do something,You struggle and TRY then the Hypnotist says "Go on do it" and voila You can do it.
Many steel players grab the basics quickly,others are slower but it does happen.
Stay positive.
Best of luck
Billy
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2015 8:00 am    

I've felt like giving up, until I started getting Jeff Newman's courses and learning from them. You would be surprised how much it helps when you absolutely know you are learning correct techniques and principles. I don't believe anyone can learn to play correctly without any sort of instruction. If they do, it's got to be very very rare.... or they can play alright, but would be so much better had they learned proper technique. I haven't been playing for very long yet, but I've come to really cringe when people say (on the subject of learning steel guitar), "just do what's comfortable to you!" As if there are no right or wrong ways to play the thing.

Take instruction from a professional or someone who has learned well from a professional. Don't waste time learning bad habits that will keep you from ever playing well. I think that's where the saying about not becoming a good player for 20 years comes from... it might be true- without any proper instruction.

It doesn't have to be Jeff Newman teaching you either. I'm not saying you have to play just like him to be playing "correctly". But all of your techniques should be something one of the professionals do. Get rid of all the bad habits only non-professionals do. You will progress quicker and be motivated by a feeling of reassurance that you are learning and doing the right thing- it's only a matter of time now.

Again- I haven't been playing very long, but these are a few of the things I've learned in the first year. Just my humble opinions...
MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2015 8:19 am    

Look at it this way: if you practice regularly, you'll never be worse than you are now. You'll only get better.