| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Today's music isn't any good.
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2015 2:34 pm    

Quote:
But to stay a float you have to go a little more commercial too.

You don't "have to". I listen to music everyday from artist who don't "go a little more commercial" even though they've been given that option. I've listened to the newest album all the way through and the music comes off like someone who's blending Kenny Chesney pop country with the edm drums and laundry list lyrics of bro country. Like I said. Bubblegum. Given the album cover I'm surprised there is even offense at that term.

And please don't take me for some curmudgeonly old man (no offense to all those on the forum Mr. Green ) I'm still in my 20's as is my wife who brought "Yup" to my attention a while back because she couldn't believe how far country radio has sunk.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2015 2:58 pm    

http://www.umgnashville.com/news/easton-corbin-to-release-third-album-about-to-get-real/
Quote:
I've listened to the newest album all the way through and the music comes off like someone who's blending Kenny Chesney pop country with the edm drums and laundry list lyrics of bro country. Like I said. Bubblegum.

Yeah, but it's real bubblegum...
Quote:
And please don't take me for some curmudgeonly old man

How about a curmudgeonly young man? Laughing
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2015 4:02 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
http://www.umgnashville.com/news/easton-corbin-to-release-third-album-about-to-get-real/
Quote:
I've listened to the newest album all the way through and the music comes off like someone who's blending Kenny Chesney pop country with the edm drums and laundry list lyrics of bro country. Like I said. Bubblegum.

Yeah, but it's real bubblegum...
Quote:
And please don't take me for some curmudgeonly old man

How about a curmudgeonly young man? Laughing

Ha those exact words have been used by one of my best friends who's over 10 years my senior.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2015 4:16 pm    

wow! all the way in his 30's?
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2015 4:53 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
wow! all the way in his 30's?

40's. My mom is in her 70's and says the same thing if that makes you feel better.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2015 8:23 am    

Quote:
My mom is in her 70's and says the same thing if that makes you feel better.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2015 5:18 pm    

Dustin Rhodes wrote:
Does no one search out the good music that's out there or do you just listen to what spoonfed to the public and make the call from that? I've been listening to some great music that was made in just the last year or 2. You're not going to hear it on the radio but that's ok. They'll never serve a decent burger in a McDonalds either.

Exactly. It's like eating at McDonald's and saying "nobody makes good food anymore."

Check out Dawes and Jason Isbell for just two of many examples of the best lyric and melodic writing seen in years. But you won't find them on the radio. They're too good for that.
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 6:58 am    

Chris LeDrew wrote:
Dustin Rhodes wrote:
Does no one search out the good music that's out there or do you just listen to what spoonfed to the public and make the call from that? I've been listening to some great music that was made in just the last year or 2. You're not going to hear it on the radio but that's ok. They'll never serve a decent burger in a McDonalds either.

Exactly. It's like eating at McDonald's and saying "nobody makes good food anymore."

Check out Dawes and Jason Isbell for just two of many examples of the best lyric and melodic writing seen in years. But you won't find them on the radio. They're too good for that.

Both of the last 2 Isbell albums have been amazing. Turnpike Troubadours put out a new one this week that is great too.

This one about makes me cry. I should take my dad quail hunting this year. And yes this is the 5 minute waltz that kicks off their album. How country does "Yup" seem now?
https://youtu.be/hFBDxLYNNVQ
Tom Margulies

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 7:56 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtz3EJ-z8Q

Here's some talent.