| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro Amplification
Cameron Parsons

Angleton, Texas
Post  Posted 17 May 2001 12:23 pm    

What is the best method of amplifying a dobro in a loud band situation that would provide maximum gain with the least amount of feedback? I already have the McIntyre pickup, but I am not able to get the dobro loud enough before I have feedback. I am running direct into the house system with only a direct box. What kind of preamp, if any, should I use? Also, would a microphone be a better method?
Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 17 May 2001 2:18 pm    

This may be a wacky idea (which I haven't tried myself). How about getting some new, clean polyester pillow stuffing material, and putting it inside the upper body of the Dobro? If your feedback persists it could even be put in the soundwell as long as it doesn't get too close to the cone. What do others think about this idea?
T. Sage Harmos, Harmos Music
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 17 May 2001 2:53 pm    

I use a little 9 volt, belt mount, pre-amp by K&K with my McIntyre. With a new battery and the level cranked wide open at the board, it carries just fine. I don't dare run that combination through my amp however--feedback city!
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 18 May 2001 8:10 am    

I'm no purist, and I may get kicked off for this:

6-string lapsteel into a SuperBro dobro simulator into your favorite clean-sounding gtr ampifier. Works like a charm.

Then again, it's not a dobro.
Scott Camara

Connecticut
Post  Posted 18 May 2001 9:12 am    

This question comes up all the time and everyone seems to have different views. I think I can say that I've tried most of them and they all have good and bad points. After trying different pickups, mics, preamps, and combinations of them, I finally found what I believe works best... a Shure SM-81 condenser mic. This mic is hotter than most, and actually seems to work better without a preamp. The sound is incredible... the most natural Dobro sound I've had amplified yet. The bad part is they are close to $400.00 - However, with all the previous stuff I tried, I probably could have bought 2 of them. I play in a band with a drummer and electric instruments, and this mic works great. I also have a Marrs RGS which I use for the all-electric gigs when I play PSG cause its a pain to drag everything around
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2001 10:20 am    

I've never stuffed a Dobro body with anything -- but I've filled accoustic guitar bodies with wadded T-shirts, bar towels, and even plastic peanuts to cut down on unwanted feedback when using a piezo pickup at higher volume. Not an elegant, high tech solution, and not exactly a pure accoustic sound -- but it's a proven solution from the "bar wars" handbook.

Or, run your signal through a Sabine or Behringer feedback destroyer before it goes to the house system. Some of the older Sabine units are being blown out at hightly discounted prices right now -- a friend of mine bought one for well under $100 last week.
Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2001 11:52 am    

I've had good results mic-ing the Dobro with an SM-57 direct into the system, and a floor monitor in front of me. Never any feedback problems, even with the monitor right next to me. Only catch is that you need a good soundman at the board. In a couple of months, we plan to switch to in-ear monitors, so I'll try that, too.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 18 May 2001 12:00 pm    

I don`t think stuffing the upper part of the Dobro would help.The main reason for feedback with a McIntyre(or similar) pickup is the resonator which picksup everything like a giant microphone diapgrahm!

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Cameron Parsons

Angleton, Texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2001 12:45 pm    

Have any of you ever used a Shure "SM-98" condenser microphone? I heard that those microphones work well for dobro.

To Scott Camara: Can the Shure "SM-81" be mounted to the instrument?

[This message was edited by Cameron Parsons on 18 May 2001 at 01:58 PM.]

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 19 May 2001 4:54 am    

I'll cast another vote for the SM-81. It's been a favorite of mine for years now.

The McIntyre pickup is highly regarded in many circles. You'll get a great acoustic reso sound. The original mounts on the spider. The new "Feather" mounts on the underside of the resonator itself.

This...like all things reso, can be had at Paul Beard's shop!

h

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

Scott Camara

Connecticut
Post  Posted 21 May 2001 10:37 am    

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away from my PC for a few days. The SM-81 is a regular sized mic, actually a little longer, so it can't be mounted on a guitar. I tried the Sm98 and also a small instrument mount mic from AKG (dont remember the model#), but they didnt work out too well. Since the mic is mounted on the instrument, there was way too much feedback at realistic club volume levels - also the sound wasn't as clear. I know having to play into a stationary mic is a pain, but the sound quality is worth it.
Scott Camara

Connecticut
Post  Posted 21 May 2001 10:44 am    

Actually, I just wanted to clarify that the problem with the SM98 was that since the mic mounted on the instrument, right above the cone, it was very prone to feedback. Also, with the instrument mount mics, you get a more metallic sound since they are mounted over the cone. With the regular mic on a stand, you get the cone sound as well as the acoustic (woody)sound from the screenholes. I like the SM81 because I can get different sounds depending on how I position the Dobro near the mic. Another benefit is you can back off or get closer depending on the volume level you want.
Cameron Parsons

Angleton, Texas
Post  Posted 21 May 2001 12:15 pm    

Thank you all for the information. It was very helpful.
Aaron Balano

San Anselmo, Ca
Post  Posted 22 May 2001 8:43 pm    

I also have a dobro with the Mc Intyre p/u installed. I understand that the placement of the pick up is crucial to a good sound. The pickup is essentially a microphone and will pick up stray sounds, but the proper placement will eliminate some of these. My p/u is on the spider right under the placement of the tail piece. I'm not sure of the exact spot--Tim Scheerhorn installed it, so maybe give him a call. Use the p/u in conjunction with a small condenser mic mounted on the instrument and run both signals through a preamp such as the Rane AP-13. The presence of an eq on the preamp is also key to eliminating feedback at louder volumes. Sometimes the p/u needs to be louder than the mic and vice versa. The preamp gives many options in feedback elimination. Sorry for the long winded ramble.
Aaron