| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  how many steel players double on keyboard
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 8:00 pm    

I double on steel and keyboard I had a custom made stand it come around my steel and sits as lo as possable, it is a little higher than I would normaly have it but it is OK to play I dont have to carry any rhythm so I do a lot of different sound like electric piano acoustic guitar strings, just wondered if Im the only one. I guess the hi light would be when opening up for Ricky Van Shelton for a local country act I did they fiddle kick off for amarillo by morning on the keyboard, Ricky came up and ask me if the fiddle was off the keyboard and he could hardly belive it, it would have got me a lot of jobs if I had wanted to take them, may be a thought for a second instrument for some of you

Jeff

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 10:03 pm    

I used to do that, but now I use a midi guitar strapped around my neck instead. It's easier for me to go back and forth between the steel and the guitar faster and it's lighter than a keyboard rig. I can also play it as a regular guitar plus I can layer the midi and guitar for cool sounds. One happy accident was learning to play it with finger picks made for alot more of a realistic keyboard attack. It also helps to
have a good midi sound module. Since I play real piano, I already know how to approach the midi guitar in a convincing way. It's kept me making the big bucks for years. (notice I'm home at 11PM on a friday night)
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 10:58 pm    

I do. Mostly Honky Tonk Piano, some rock organ.

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 2:43 am    

Joey that is a cool looking stand, Ill try and post pics of mine soon, I could probably come up with a smaller stand but I play a 61 note keyboard so it has to be pretty solid since it is a lot heavier, Rick, what kind of midi guitar do you use, I would love to have one
Joey Gaskins

New Bern, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 5:02 am    

I play with a Gospel group and to my left I have a full 88 keys electric piano and a regular guitar to my right with a dobro and mandolin behind me. I get dizzy switching around. Usually no more than two on any song.
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 6:40 am    

I have an old '65 Hammond and usually throw
in a track when I'm recording, but not too
much live.

------------------

My Steel MP3's

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 8:03 am    

Jay, I have that LP in my collection.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 9:14 am    

Jeff...I use an old Casio(my other guitar is a Rolex ) MG510 midi guitar. It's actually a pretty nice strat copy made by Ibanez that is totally usable as a guitar on it's own. Once you learn how to overcome the the tracking problems, and there ARE ways I assure you, it works like a champ! I've had knowledgable music techno geeks stare in disbelief when I show them where the keyboard sounds are coming from. The trick is learning to play like the instrument youre imitating. (think chord melody of "Last Date" for instance) You can just plug it directly into any midi device with just a midi cable (I use an old Roland U-110 as a sound source)...no other "midi brain" needed. A couple cool features are an onboard 3 octave switch, also you change your programs by hitting a toggle switch--then play a note on the fretboard that you've mapped out--then hit the switch again to go back to play mode. I go between patches way faster than most kepyboard players. I don't have to scroll up & down banks etc. In the course of a song I can play a steel kick off and solo, fills on "piano", regular electric guitar, and end with a killer brass part!

Unfortunately they quit making them years ago. I've seen them on E-Bay. I want another one as a back up!

[This message was edited by Rick Schmidt on 07 August 2004 at 10:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by Rick Schmidt on 07 August 2004 at 10:22 AM.]

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 7:25 pm    

If I had to sell myself as a steel player alone, I'd never have a gig... so, yeah, I do.
-John

------------------
www.ottawajazz.com
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2004 1:27 pm    

I belive Earnest Bovine and Doug Livingston play keys and steel...... Funny thing is you never see them in the same place at the same time doing it though....hmmmmm....

------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8p & 9k w/ BL-705s; Webb 6-14E Amplfier

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 11 August 2004 at 06:15 PM.]

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2004 6:02 pm    

I just play steel but I had an IVL steel rider midi until the pickup quit. It was a lot of fun especially in a small band. It would give me piano,horns,bass, strings,drums or about anything.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2004 8:43 pm    

I'd played keyboards by ear with one hand before I started playing steel, but now that I'm playing steel, I play more steel and once in awhile I might play a song on keyboard, but when I finish with the keyboard, I'll go back to the steel. The steel guitar is my main instrument now and always will be. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dixson Rudolph

Dodson, Louisiana USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 8:43 am    

I used to have my Alesis QS6.1 set on a stand above my steel, and that worked pretty well, but, being the Hammond/Leslie nut I am, I built a single manual B3 chop for stage use, and set it in an "L" configuration with the steel facing forward.
I use a drummers' throne, so swiveling around to play the organ is easy. Playing keys with picks on yer fingers is kinda tricky, as I would do a lot of switching offbetween the two, and didn't have time to take off/put on picks. But having that real
console Hammond sound thru a real Leslie(plus the Alesis for piano/clavinet/strings) sure added a lot (and got the band a lot more gigs.) Doubling on Dobro doesn't hurt, either!
LONG LIVE LIVE MUSIC!!!
Kevin Chriss

Carmel, IN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 3:40 am    

Hey Joey Ace. That's the same keyboard I use. I'd sure like to find out where you got that stand for yours. I bought a folding bench seat and replaced the cushion with a formica shelf to hold my Oxygen 8. I play my keyboard through an Edirol SD 20. The SD 20 sounds great, but it will not save your setup (no internal battery). The country band I play with also plays a lot of older rock that doesn't work well with steel. Plus, you have to have rock organ for "Fast as You". We also do "Curtesy of the Red White and Blue", good old patch 15 (tubular bells) sounds great on the last verse. What sound module are you using Joey?
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2004 1:37 pm    

I know my old buddy Marc Friedland doubles on keyboards and pedal steel. Mark used to play and gig down in the Culver city area, he now currently resides in Northern California and doing quite well.

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2004 3:31 pm    

Moved to "Steel Players" section.