| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BL705 vs Telonics 206
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 5:43 am    

Sine they both are twin blade designs they look pretty similar. If this has been discussed in the past I apologize as I must have missed it. My question to anyone who has experienced both the Bill Lawrence 705 (original and/or reissue I guess) AND the Telonics 206 pickup is simply how you feel they compare. I know a lot of this is subjective. Thanks for any input!
Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 4:35 pm    

I would be interested in this comparison also.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 4:39 pm    

Ive heard people say that this pickup is suited towards swing music. Why I do not know but was the bl 705 suited towards swing?? If the new 206 is very simillar to the original bill lawrence 705 than I would be interested.

I thought that there were oodles and oodles of original 705s around but its not looking that way lately as I have been trying to out 2 with no luck.
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2015 4:30 pm     Pickup for swing

A specific pick up for swing ? That seems far fetched. I believe a pickup might have certain sonic qualities, but the genre of music one chooses to use any given pick up for is a different issue. If it sounds good, it sounds good for any style of music.
Just my opinion.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2015 5:01 pm    

Quote taken from Steve Lipsey April 9, 2012 which was actually from Dave Beaty at Telonics Electronics.

"The second type is the big favorite of the Texas-swing players in Texas who have guitars with wood necks, it is the Type 206PW. (I might add that both the 84AW and the 206PW are best moved further away (below) the strings than other pickups, lest the run in a saturated mode wherein the adjustment has less effect). The Type 206 series has no adjustable poles, however swing player tend to prefer to tip them toward the changer to an unusual degree. Most people express what happens when they do this as �feeling that their guitar comes alive�, or �that�s when the magic happens�. The Type 206 is often said to produce �big sound�, and �strong, fat sound with unusually high string separation and clarity�. "

Here is the thread I read it on Steve

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=224326&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2015 3:51 pm     Swing pick up

Quentin,
Thanks for taking the time to post, it was very interesting . I think I actually agree with much of the post, and had a similar finding, it's just that for me , I love my Teleonics 409s for everything imaginable. Swing, Jazz, C6, E9, whatever.
I too contacted Dave Beatty and he suggested the 409 for both necks.. I was initially going to purchase just one to try on E9, and was on the fence about what to try on C6. He suggested I might like it for C6, and sent me a video of C6 playing swing through the 409. It was outstanding ! , I chose to get both necks, 409s. If your curious, ask Dave to send the C6 409 video . It's the bomb.
I LOVE these pickups. They sound great for any style of music. And yes , I play a ton of C6 Western swing. I just think they sound great regardless of what is played.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2015 4:02 pm    

While I havent had a BL705 on my Zum's, Dave Beaty did send me a 206 to try out on C6th ...it was very very good and i liked it a lot - but then I tried the 409. The big advantage of the 409 is the adjustability, you can really fine tune it to your guitars nuances to get the best possible response.
But if you have no inkling to tinker then the 206 is a very fine pickup and would suit your c6th neck very nicely, regardless of the music style.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.