| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Getting set up on quality finger picks
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 1:10 pm    

I've been playing with the cheap dunlops, but they aren't very comfortable. I'm ordering the "right hand alpha" course by Jeff Newman, and I've read somewhere on the forum that Jeff doesn't recommend the dunlop finger picks for the hand position he uses (not sure if that's true or not, it's just something I read).

Anyhoo- I haven't played enough to truly get used to any kind of finger pick yet, and I want to get used to something more comfortable (and possibly better sounding) than the cheap dunlops.

So far, I've read some very good reviews on Jeff Newman's picks and the Hoffmeyer picks. I've read mixed reviews on nationals.
John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 1:44 pm    

Saddle Picks. Hands down. Comfortable and don't move at all.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 1:58 pm    

Jeff wanted you to use his picks. I've heard that he'd stomp your picks in the floor so you would buy his.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Dunlop picksl, I've been using them for years with NO problem.
Maybe Dunlop should raise there prices to $10 a pick then they'd maybe sound better! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 2:01 pm    

I use JF finger picks havent never used another type.I have started using a little heat shrink around the bands saves the cuticles and they dont slip.Just what I use not saying it's the best but that is what works best for me and you can still order a set from Fran Jeff's widow.So when you order your right hand alpha course make mention that you would like a set of finger picks.they are already bent and shaped.Slim

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 2:05 pm    

I've always used Dunlops, but then again I have issues with them falling off, and if I make them too tight then they are uncomfortable.

The Saddle picks look like a good idea, I may give those a try.

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 2:05 pm    

Erv I went to his weekend school and he never did that to me or the other guests at the school

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 2:09 pm    

guess not everybody reaizes that jeff was full of opinionated bull with a crazy sense of humor most of the time. he would challenge, antagonize, play practical jokes and be a smartass and then probably laugh at people who took him seriously.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 2:13 pm    

I used Dunlop picks for years. Just recently I bought a set of Sammy Shalor finger picks. They are stainless steel and marketed for banjo players. They are expensive; about $37 for a set of two, as I recall. I love these picks. They are comfortable once adjusted, and they sound different than the Dunlop picks; brighter is the best way I can describe them.

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 2:13 pm    

I like Nationals too. I just received some ProPiks dual band picks that I ordered from Elderly Music. They come in two sizes as well as nickel and brass. I bought a pair of each in nickel. The standard size are stamped with a 1. The larger ones have a 2 stamped on the band. I wear a 1 on my index finger and a 2 on my middle finger. It eliminates having to wonder if I'm putting the right pick on the right finger. I used to mark each pick but that seemed to wear off. I tried stickers but they eventually fell off. The ProPiks are the same gauge as Nationals but were easier to shape to my fingers. I had to pull the bottom band closest to my little finger on my middle pick upward toward the top band. It was hitting the second string when I picked string three. They were a lot better after that. I think I'm going to like them.

I learned that it's easier to shape the curvature of the pick blade if I grip the blade gently in the flat section of a pair of needle nose pliers. There is usually a flat section above the cutters. Instead of twisting the pliers, I hold the blade steady while I push up on the back of the pick with my free hand. I shaped my last pair in about 30 seconds per pick without marring the surface.
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 2:33 pm    

I use the Pro Pix brass finish. split design and very comfortable. I highly recommend them.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 3:07 pm    

I used to use two vintage Nationals , but am not as good a player as most of you, so I have to play a trick to get my first and second fingers to sound the same on strings. I use a Jeff Newman or JF pick in my index finger and a National on my pointer. My attack with the to fingers may not be the same, but they now sound very similar.
And, I can easily tell which pick is for which finger without resorting to marking the picks. I used to file notches in the bands that I could feel when the picks were in my pocket.
Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 5:18 pm    

I got a pair from a forumite that had a coating on them. 1red 1black. Still have and use them. Bob
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 8:48 pm    

When I first started out on Steel in 1991, I phoned Jeff and ordered some of his teaching material and also 3 dozen of his finger picks. He thought I was mad. I have only used 4 picks since then and have 32 left. They don't wear at all and will last for many years solid playing.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 9:38 pm    

i've used all kinds over the years. dunlops are comfy but don't clamp on tight enough. nationals are strongest. i use them for steel. my last set of JF picks are in my dobro case. they're strong also.
they've got to be stiff to clamp on my fingers securely.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 9:55 pm    

My favorite finger picks are Showcase 1941's.

http://www.billstokesshowcase.com/Picks.html

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 11:16 pm    

I've tried Dunlops, Propix, JF's but always come back to Nationals. They sound crisper and clearer, so I tolerate any cuticle discomfort they may cause. If I get a hangnail, it can be covered w/ "liquid bandage" (methylacralate) to prevent further inflammation and allow healing.
Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 1:43 am    

Started on Dunlops, went to Nationals which I preferred to the Dunlops. Recently I bought a set of Old 97 banjo picks after reading a previous post here and love 'em. As well as different finger sizes, (medium, large etc), they can be bought in different lengths. I ordered a set of large and they sent me two sets, one with a long reach, the other with a short reach. I've settled on the short reach.

http://old97banjopick.com/old-97-banjo-picks/

I use heatshrink on them, more comfortable and firmer grip.

Thumb pick - Dunlop Zookie 10.

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 6:23 am    

Erv, those JF picks are two bucks a piece IIRC. Very inexpensive for picks. Jeff had those made as copies of pre war Nationals is what I was told. His teaching vids are a little pricey,but are loaded with practical information that's easy for a student to understand. I don't think Jeff was a shyster like you have described. Confused

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 7:17 am    

Dustin,
I don't think he was shyster, he just had a wry sense of humor. Very Happy
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 8:19 am    

These are the best you can get in my opinion. Great sounding, great feeling and made to the highest order. Plus Bill is a cool guy:

http://www.billstokesshowcase.com/Picks.html

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 9:08 am    

I haven't tried every pick ever made.... maybe a half dozen styles. ..so far I am completely happy with national finger picks and pro pik long blade hybrid thumbpicks...a nice upgrade from my blue herco and whatever fingerling I used to use. .. possibly dunlops.

Not only more comfy but I don't accidently have strings catch on the corners of the bands.

There are so many subtle things that can change with different picks. .The long blade forced my hand to rotate into a more ergonomic position. ... for example.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 8 Aug 2015 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 9:10 am    

DOUBLE

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 7 Aug 2015 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 10:22 am    

I vote for Hoffmeyer for PSG, Banjo and Dobro. Worth it!

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 11:18 am     Nationals hands down.

They stay on my fingers without hurting and never wear out. Tried Dunlops and they were terrible.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 12:07 pm    

JF picks. I took a Newman weekend class, I had been playing about a year at the time. Jeff gave me a set of his picks to replace the Dunlops I was using. I still have that set, though I now use a newer pair. They are the best.