| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMA on ABC
Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 8:08 pm    

I just finished watching 50 minutes of mediocre rock and roll on the CMA "Country's night to rock" show. I think the show is an hour and a half or two hours, but I just couldn't take it anymore. Country? Are you kidding? If that's what you like, then fine. But don't call it country. It's rock and roll, and not very good rock n' roll, either. I don't care how big their tour bus is, or how many number one hits they've logged, I didn't hear a single country song in that first 50 minutes, and the only steel guitar I saw on stage was with Rascal Flatts, and the only time I could definitely hear it was on the final fade note of the song. Oh for the days of Ray Price, Conway Twitty, Hank Snow, Hank Thompson, etc., etc. In the 40's, 50's, 60's, and most of the 70's country was country. Where has it gone?
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 5:07 am    

Leaving aside the issue of whether you can call today's artists "country" in the first place, I think you missed the obvious in the title of the show. "Country's night to ROCK" tells you they're doing rock music right up front.

If there was a show "The Rolling Stones Go To The Country", I would not expect to hear rock and roll. And if the show DID have Hank Snow, Conway and Ray Price, if the title says they rock I would expect them to NOT be playing country for that particular show.

(And no, I didn't watch a single minute of it)
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 8:33 am    

The whole thing was both forgettable and regrettable. In the vast sea of non-events on television these days, this one wasn't even good enough to stand out above the rest..
Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 11:41 am     cma

It all sounded the same,some kind of country crap or rap or whatever you want to call it.
Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 12:44 pm    

Yeah, Don..

You're right, of course, but I wouldn't even call it rock. It was, as stated above, a thoroughly forgettable experience. (And a waste of time).
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 12:47 pm    

There were steels onstage with Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker, Chris Young, and Dierks Bentley too. The steel player for Carrie is Chad Jeffers, playing his Mullen G2 SD-10, Jay Jackson is on steel with Jason Aldean playing his Mullen Discovery, Randle Currie was playing his Franklin D-10 with Brad Paisley, Darius's steel player, Sasha Ovstrosky, I think-played his Show Pro D-10, Terry Crisp was playing his Fessenden with Chris Young, Travis Toy played his Mullen G2 with Rascal Flatts, and Tim Sergent played his Jackson Pro IV D-10 with Dierks, and I thought I saw Ward Williams playing his MSA D-10 with Randy Houser and Maddie & Tae.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jack Guthery

Exeter, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 7:53 pm    

all the singers went to WAL MART to buy the t shirts plus the lead players are x rock& rollers
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 9:13 pm    

I made it as far as Keith Urban. That was it for me. Urban makes me wanna puke. The four or five before him sounded like they were all doing the same song. I would have known for sure if I could have understood them.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.