| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why lighter?
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:06 am    

maby I'm missing something here, but why is the weight of a pedal steel a factor? I'm 58 years young, and when buying a steel, weight never entered into it. the first that grabs me is the sound, then the looks, then total workmanship, outside as well as underneath. the metal to wood fit, ease of the pedals and knees and downright playability. I play a Mullen D-10, HWP 9X7. what the exact weight is, I couldn't tell you. I'm not a pro player, but the entire package lets me sound like I am. yes it has some Meat to it but in a way, I think thats a plus. so why such a concern for a lighter steel? am I missing something here? compair playing a tele or strat or PRS to a Les Paul, alot of people still Play Les Paul simply for that special sound. play one for a entire gig and let me know how your shoulder feels? just my two cents. God Bless.

Joe
Bobby Rountree

San Angelo, Texas, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:17 am    

Remember this post when you are 70 and ask yourself the same question. I think I felt the same way up to about 60...
By the way...I'm still picking...just the ol' backbone doesn't work as well.

------------------
CarterS12-U, Truetone Pup, Nashville 1000, Dan Echo, Goodrich CD-2A

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:22 am    

Joe, do you play gigs out of the house? For those who do, the lugging factor can add up pretty quickly. Of course, no one likes to sacrifice sound, so the holy grail is lightweight and sounds amazing. Some say the Millenium does that. And then there's the cost...
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:28 am    

The weight of a unit for me is a factor when I have to lift it, carry it to the car etc. Just a few years ago I could wrestle refrigerators and other appliances on the job with ease; but the last few years have not been too kind to my frame. Despite devoted care to diet (?) and exercise, a heavey amp is a bear, especially when lugging it up two flights of stairs (Thank God for casters.) My first priority is the quality of the equipment; I can work around the weight. It has been my personal experience, so far, that the psg that I have played have all been a littly heavy.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:37 am    

Looks like weight IS a factor for us old veterans. If you can get "light weight" and all those other good things ...... why not?
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:41 am    

well in addition to a D-10, I go into a profex ll, then one side to a Nashville 400, and the other to a Blackface twin. so its not just one amp, its two. Maby I'm just a glutton for punishment. my wife did get me a 4 wheel cart to help out. This year I went from a SD-10 to a D-10, and as I said weight wasn't a Factor, I know,,,I'm nuts. God Bless.

Joe
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:48 am    

Joe, I could use a good roadie...
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:58 am    

Jimbaux

make ya a deal,,,,I'll carry yours if you carry mine. I guess what I'm saying is until I cant go any more, load, and unload my equipment, I'll stay with what sounds good to these ol'ears. I'm not as quick as a young pup, it just takes me a lil longer. Maby Reece will donate one of those new fangled carbon fiber Steels. LOL.

Joe
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 5:59 am    

Added airline expense is a major factor for those of us that fly.

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 6:08 am    

Joey:
in that area, I can see the advantage of less weight. but you couldn't get me off the ground for love or money. I just couldn't think of all the things that can happen with an airline. let alone loosing my steel. but thats another chaper. where ever I go, I drive, load and unload, then reload when finished. my wife might help with some small items, nobody touch's my steel. (thats just me).

Joe
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 6:09 am    

I have always said, "You carry a guitar for 30 to 45 seconds, but you have to listen to it all night".
So, weight really is very low on my list of prioritys. What difference does it make if a guitar is 30 lbs or 55 lbs if it sounds bad? You play it longer than you have to carry it.

bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 09 August 2004 at 07:09 AM.]

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 6:16 am    

I agree; tone first.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 6:23 am    

I used to scoff at the weight factor till back in the winter when my 80 lb. P/P dragged my sorry-assed arm into hyperextension. The next 3 weeks of excruciating pain got my attention and I've been looking for a lightweight alternative ever since. Of course, it has to sound like my P/P!
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 6:23 am    

Bobbe:
well put. looks like I opened a can of worms, but the lightweight Steels I've tried sort of have a "vanila" sound. Nothing really special. with the exception to the new MSA. but then its a cost factor. but like Mr."S" said, you carry it for a few moments, but play it all night long.

Joe
Mullen D-10 HWP 9x7 Nashville 400 Fender blackface twin, Profex ll, Lexicon MPX 100
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 6:25 am    

I should have played fiddle. What do they weigh - 5 pounds. And you carry around a 15 pound amp and feed it to the PA. Plus you can jump around all over the place, wear tight pants and boots, and the chicks stare at you. I wonder how many fiddlers pick up chicks after they play Orange Blossom Special. I know NO ONE picks up anything except a bad cold after playing Steel Guitar Rag.

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 7:48 am    

How do those guys that play baby grand pianos pack their equipment anyway?
Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 7:57 am    

I've thought of putting casters and a handle on the end of my MSA D12 case. I use a hand truck to lug that and my session 500 amp around. It just takes a little time to move it around but I wouldn't trade them in for lighter equipment. I saw some padded hard shell travel cases in a catalog just the other day that might be big enough for a d12. They had casters on the end, and a pull out handle like they have on the latest luggage for cary on. These things weren't cheap, but they might be worth it.

------------------
Fergy, MSA Classic D12
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 8:01 am    

I know tone and weight. The favorite steel that I now own is a Push Pull D10.

Still a light S10 in a flight case that tips the scales at 50lbs is a valuable part of my gear.

Bobbe, didn't you travel with a Maverick for this reason?
Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 8:19 am    

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 10:09 am    

Quote:
I've been looking for a lightweight alternative ever since.

John, have you ever thought about a Carter? I have tried some and while they certainly don´t sound exactly like a push/pull (nothing sounds like a push/pull except the real thing I know), the sound definitely goes into that direction, especially so with the "BCT" technology. Very "in-your-face" and also very positive action and easy to play AND to maintain, what you can´t say about the PP. And, they are among the lightest steels being made today.

Regards, JH

Regards, JH
Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 10:19 am    

i agree i am 56 and i frame houses for a living. so weight doesn't matter. thats why a lot of people don't like the old msa's. they say they are too heavy and sound terrible and hard to learn on.
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 10:32 am    

Doesn't really matter as long as the wife carries it!!I always found someone to talk to
until after she had it in and set up!!ha ha
farris
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 12:34 pm    

Mrs. Lee says she'll haul all my stuff for me if I buy her a dump truck.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 12:48 pm    

A while ago a bloke invented something called "the wheel" --- and they attach to all sorts of things !!!!! Especially steel cases.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 1:34 pm    

one word, gravity!

Rick Garrett

P.S. two more words, spinal fusion.

[This message was edited by Rick GM on 09 August 2004 at 02:44 PM.]