| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telling if a speaker has been re-coned
Gerald Shaw

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 5:28 pm    

Is there a way to tell if a speaker has been re-coned by looking at it? I'd like to find a PEAVEY 1501-DT Black Widow, an older used one, I'm wondering if the ones I find on ebay might be re-coned (otherwise it would probably still in the amp it came in). Thanks.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2015 4:05 am    

With a Peavey speaker, it really doesn't matter if it has been reconed. They're made so that replacing the basket is simple. Original kits are available so if the basket has been replaced, it's identical to a new one.
JBL's on the other hand, are a different animal. The original cone kits haven't been available for a long time so many are reconed with non-factory parts which results in a speaker that may sound good but it won't sound like it did when it was new.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2015 8:46 am    

generally black widows aren't reconed. as cartwright says, the basket is just replaced.
the basket is the frame, paper, cone and center dustcover of a speaker. everything except the magnet.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2015 12:17 pm    

Quote:
I'm wondering if the ones I find on ebay might be re-coned (otherwise it would probably still in the amp it came in).

Not necessarily true. It could have been removed because they owner preferred a different speaker in his amp. Or, as what happened to me, the amp died, and all that's left is the speaker.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 12:45 pm    

Quote:
The original cone kits haven't been available for a long time so many are reconed with non-factory parts which results in a speaker that may sound good but it won't sound like it did when it was new

Current JBL E-series cones are a perfect match for the K- and D-series baskets, and if the magnet is re-gaussed at the same time, return said D-series drivers to original spec. The use of non-JBL baskets to recone JBL drivers has far more to do with cost and convenience than availability.