| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Axtremity
Joel Meginsky

Springfield,MA,USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 2:27 pm    

Hello steel aficionados,

I sent one of my representatives (friend), to check out Mr. Wallis' products at the recent convention, but he has reported that there was no booth there which was showing the Axtremity slide.

So, would someone in the community who has purchased this slide with a thumb operated cam extension, please respond to this post by sharing you general and specific opinion and experience with this innovative bar? Thank you.

Joel
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 6:10 pm     (I've bought cars for less...)

I was impressed by what I saw at NAMM (then knocked back a few steps by the price).

Some YouTube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjU1q_Wvh27g6WSTQiaTsGQ

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 8:12 am    

I have one and it adds a new dimension to playing. This item has a learning curve and will take time to feel comfortable and creat a technique using the pedal slide.

Price considering the effort, ingenuity and design is not an issue considering a stomp box can cost many times more. This item may not be for everyone but for the players that acquire the feel for the pedal slide will add it to their playing style.

Would like to have some tab for a few tunes?

Lenny
Tim Wallis

East Peoria, IL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2015 6:48 am     Thanks Lenny!

Lenny, thank you and we look forward to hearing / seeing you use the Pedal Slide! Yeah, there is a learning curve to it, as you said, but so far the reviews have been positive.

Thanks again,
Tim Wallis

Len Amaral wrote:
I have one and it adds a new dimension to playing. This item has a learning curve and will take time to feel comfortable and creat a technique using the pedal slide.

Price considering the effort, ingenuity and design is not an issue considering a stomp box can cost many times more. This item may not be for everyone but for the players that acquire the feel for the pedal slide will add it to their playing style.

Would like to have some tab for a few tunes?

Lenny

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2015 4:45 pm    

Len Amaral wrote:
I have one and it adds a new dimension to playing... Lenny

What tuning(s) do you use with your Axtremity? It seems doable with a simple G/A or D/E tuning; it may be a stretch with C6, however.

I agree that the price is not unreasonable, given the costs for R&D, engineering, tooling, manufacturing, marketing, etc. People pay twice as much for a volume pedal, not to mention the latest rage in stomp boxes (as you mention). It's not that much more expensive than some of the current boutique tone bars.
Art Homer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 7:21 am    

Len Amaral wrote:
...Would like to have some tab for a few tunes?

Lenny

I agree about price being reasonable for what went into it--would also like to see tab. As with many things, I find a couple of tabbed out examples helps shorten the learning curve. Then I can go on to expand with my own variations, different tunings, etc.

Another advantage I can see of this slide is that people (of limited ability like me) could do a lot more on a 6-string, single neck, making recreating some masters like Joaquin Murphey more accessible.
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 8:15 am    

I have one and I find that the bar is too light. You have to press hard on the bar to get a decent sound. The actual learning curve is not too steep.

Is there a way to increase the weight of the bar to make it similar to a standard pedal steel bar?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 8:20 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=285932

Would think shotgun shot or split shot sinkers would also work (and it could double as a maraca).
Doug Clark

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 3:20 pm    

I watched the "Bus Stop" video, and mostly saw just flying right-hand fingers. Whoa! Couldn't really see what Tim's left hand was doing.
But then I went to the Axtremity site and watched those videos, and was even more impressed. Cool
Peter Funk

Germany
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 12:40 am    

Here's a video I did after receiving my Pedal Slide some weeks ago:
Pedal Slide
It's just a simple exercise to get familiar with this nice little toy Smile
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 8:13 am    

Nice Peter! Great tone too BTW
That 5-6-7 lick makes perfect sense (as did everything else)
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2015 4:24 pm    

I play 8 string 6th tunings and I'm sure I could come up with all kinds of uses for this. But can the articulating arm part be attached to a regular bullet nose solid steel bar? That would make it feasable for me. Also I don't see any videos of anyone combining slanting with this thing. Is that because it's very awkward or just because the type of player attracted to this thing tends not to have slanting skills? If you could do both or at least alternate between both and the bar was real I'd jump on this gadget right quick.
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 4:47 am    

For the 1st version this is pretty good. at least its a fresh approach.

My feedback is I am NOT A FAN as it mimics a CAPO making everything you play sound like a hammer on. In essence you lose the beautiful glissando style that made lap steel and pedal steel famous.

However for a first go its still a boss idea. Maybe they will create a better version 2 or 3. Which also enables the player to slant etc. Or maybe I just haven't seen Tim Walls approach it like that.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"