| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hello from new member in Arizona
David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2015 7:06 pm    

Hello everyone, I just started learning pedal steel less than 2 weeks ago, and this site is a godsend. I got a 10 string Hudson E9 from Jimmie with the 3/8" spacing. Seems to be working well. I just got the first Jeff Newman "up from the top" course based on members glowing reviews and find it to be top notch!

Thinking of getting a low drum stool that's adjustable. Old chair isn't cuttin it Sad

I'm sure you folks will be able to give me lots of pointers.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 1:37 am    

Welcome to the madness!
Good start. I'd also suggest the Winston/Keith book.
The first several months are the hardest, but these things are a lot of fun.
Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 5:24 am    

I used one of these for a long time until I got my Steel Seat: On Stage KT7800 Plus Padded Keyboard Bench

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-kt7800-keyboard-bench/450427

Shop around for best price. I'm a beginner myself. Welcome aboard!
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 10:14 am    

Welcome, Welcome! You'll get lots of advice and leads here for sure. Let me suggest you take some time with the "Search" button as there is SO much in the past archives of great value to a beginner. Please feel welcome to email me directly with any questions and I'll try to be of help if I can. Best wishes with this moist enjoyable journey!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 3:03 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
I'd also suggest the Winston/Keith book.

what might that book be called for a beginner who might not know?
Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 3:17 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
Lane Gray wrote:
I'd also suggest the Winston/Keith book.

what might that book be called for a beginner who might not know?

"Pedal Steel Guitar". http://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Bill-Keith/dp/082560169X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436138192&sr=1-1&keywords=pedal+steel+guitar
Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 5:24 pm     Welcome

Not sure where you are but I'm in Phx and I have an older steel seat with some miles on it that you Are welcome to. Got it on a trade.
Paul Brockett

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 6:10 pm     Great place to start.

Hello and welcome. I have to say, Mark Van Allen has a CD dealing with music theory and how it relates to the pedal steel guitar. I have this CD and it has changed my musical life. I am now empowered with knowledge of how chords work and how to find them on the pedal steel guitar.If you like Jeff Newman’s instruction, you will find that Marks CD dovetails with it seamlessly. Enjoy!
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 7:45 pm    

Welcome David, There is a lot of good players on here that will be a great help. I'm not one of them but there are some. Have fun in your new adventure.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 12:47 am    

This thing turns into a sickness and a $$$ pit. Be prepared to ditch all other musical instruments and I hope you have an understanding spouse

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 11:52 am    

Hi folks, thanks for the book/ dvd ideas.
Thanks for seat offer Fred. I found a chair thats working better now. Hope to meet you one day after i can play something on the instrument. I'm playing along to jeff newmans G vamp and its starting to sound good. I got the Peterson stomp classic tuner. Man it makes tuning easier. Question: when you play how close to maximum should the vol pedal be? I can see the vol pedal being tricky to master!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 1:21 pm    

Jay Dee Maness says, and I agree: turn the amp UP.
The volume pedal should be open just enough to be as loud as you need.
Yes, that doesn't quite answer your question, but you didn't ask the right question.
David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 2:07 pm    

Hi Lane, if you accidentally push the pedal down all the way the volume increase may be kinda severe. But I bet you'll get a lot more sustain effect....
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 5:16 pm    

Welcome to the steel guitar community. There are lots of folks on here with lots of experience and knowledge, unfortunately I am not one of them...haha.
But I do live in Mesa, Az about 5 months of the year, so perhaps we can get together when I get back out there in September. Its amazing how many good players there are in the Phoenix area. You should join the Southwest STeel Guitar association. Billy Easton is the president and is a great player. Fred Justice lives in Mesa builds a great steel guitar and is a great player and a teacher...you might want to look him up. As I mentioned there are lots of very good players in the area. But most importantly, have fun !
Keep in touch and give me a pm sometime and we will get together.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 7:32 pm    

Hi David,

Welcome to our obsession. It's a "nice little hobby."

Now the fun begins. So far as I know, it does not end.

Dan
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 11:39 pm    

David Weisenthal wrote:
Hi Lane, if you accidentally push the pedal down all the way the volume increase may be kinda severe. But I bet you'll get a lot more sustain effect....

Exactly. But you learn not to open it up.
You do NOT want to be in the same room as a sharply struck note with pedal wide open.
David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 6:24 pm    

hello Larry, yes it will be good to meet you when you come back.

Hi Dustin, yes i can't believe that I spent $200 on a tuner already! worth it though.

Hi Dan and Bill and Mark. Yes the search feature is one of the best of all sites I've seen. Lane, I will crank up amp and keep pedal lower.(mice look out)

I know about finger memory from playing the six string. I was fairly good at some scales on my es 330 Gibson when I practiced. This is different because you just have a bar. Question is, do you actually count frets when playing scales or is it all bar memory. or do you know the fingerboard so well that you know every note under the bar!(ideal situation).

Ps i just took a nice adjustable chair from work to test out tonight. Goody goody.. Whoa!
David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 6:26 pm    

Hi Paul...forgot you in the last post
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2015 3:15 am    

I frequently count frets from where I started from.
But since I'm getting better at not watching my hands, it must be a "muscle memory" (I detest the term, muscles have neither neurons nor synapses) component.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2015 7:40 am    

Hey, David, on your question about "counting frets", I assume you're talking about moving horizontally along the neck. I suggest a freeboard visualization technique you may or may not have used somewhat (with barre chords) on six string:

Learn the basic chord positions for the I, IV, and V chords in each key for each of the three main major chord positions, i.e.; the no pedals, A & B pedals down, and A & F lever (A pedal and lever raising the E strings to F). For example, in the key of G, the no pedals G chord is at fret 3, the A & F position at fret 6, and the pedals down position is at fret 10. For the key of G you would also visualize the positions for the C and D chords as well. (These are the most common chords in songs in the key of G, and you'll use them incessantly whenever you play in G)

Learn these positions COLD. Drill, practice, run arpeggios of these chords up and down, in and out, and from chord to chord over and over and over and over until you can play them in your sleep.

When I learn a new chord, lick, scale position, etc. I mentally relate it to where it lies in relation to these chord positions within the key. Some will be right on top of a particular chord, some connecting two positions, some "two frets below pedals down", and so on. Because you have a "map" of the most used chord positions in your head, you can superimpose new scales, licks, etc. over that map and gradually build your repertoire and have it be instantly usable on the fly. Takes practice and metal application but soon it gets to be second nature.
David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 8:59 am    

Mark, sounds like solid advice. I am only using the AB pedals so far, and am practicing the G and A 1,4,5 positions
as much as i can. Yes this will be a good mental map eventually.

Actually, I am using just the A pedal on the 6th fret to play a 2 note G chord (strings 5+6, or strings 3+5) Jeff Newman course

It will be nice to eventually use those knee levers, since I bang my knees into them every time I sit down.